Bad Capacitor Dissection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Capacitor Dissection

Havent we all wondered what a dissection of one of these crappy caps would look like? Well I thought I'd find out....

The bad capacitor used for this was a JPCON 2200uF 6.3v low-ESR cap removed from an Abit KA7-100 motherboard.

Before the 'surgery', this capacitor looked like just about all typical bad capacitors, bulging from the top and the canister seal was protruding from the base. I carefully cut the canister open with a razor blade, so not to further damage the insides. Upon pulling out the paper innards, I noticed that the paper dielectric material was severely scorched and completely dry. I then began to unwrap it to gain access to the two metal plates and the paper filling just crumbled and fell apart in my hands. Its brittleness and crumbling reminded me of very old newspaper. When I finally got to the plates, they were slightly melted and disfigured, as the capacitor had obviously gotten extremely hot.

Ok, this next capacitor was a good one to use as a demostration of what it SHOULD look like... It was a perfectly healthy Nichicon 2200uF 16v low-ESR.

You can see the obvious color difference! Everything is completely intact, and was soaking wet with electrolyte! You will note that the paper filler and the metal plates are all in one piece and intact.

Ok, if you've ever wondered, now you'll know...
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

i have seen caps that the plates were reduced to powder.
    btw the paper is only a blotter to hold electrolyte .
    the dielectic is the grey oxide coating you see if you peel the 2 plates apart.the paper probably helps during the forming process to prevent shorting.

Comment

powdered plate anyone?! HEH.... This one wasn't that bad, nor have I actually seen one that bad with the exception of a 1959 Philco Predicta television I recapped some years ago...

I did remove the plates on these caps to try and get a pic of the dielectic, but my crappy camera wouldn't get a clear close-up, nothing but fuzz.

The Nichicon cap's filler material wasn't paper, but rather a cloth-like material, where the JPCON was clearly lower quality, using paper material.

I figured folks got the idea...
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

predicta huh?
        i collect and restore old radios tv's boatanchor recievers and ham gear.
        check out this.
        http://www.audiokarma.org/forums

Comment

HMM I have a MASSIVE collection of antique televisions, including 3 predicta's. They're all between the years of 1950 and 1960. If interested, let me know. I can get some pics. I'd like to sell the whole lot, they're taking up too much room in my house since I sold my store.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

my main interest is early round screen color.
            but am interested in all old sets.preferably unrepaired.
            hell i just picked up another heath gr2000.
            had a bad cap in the remote board.
            funny how it now has a better picture than my neighbors 2 year old zenith i just repaired.

Comment

funny u mention old round screen color's... i had 3 RCA's... they were the strangest and ugliest critters, but worked... most of mine are unrepaired... i polished them up and displayed them. at the time the last thing i had time for was more hobbies.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

got a ctc16 on the bench now.
                needed a degaussing thermister and vdr and a few resisters in the 3.58 and burst amp.
                looks good on the test jig and heats the room too.

Comment

Working...
                X