Help identifying a chip on HP Omen motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help identifying a chip on HP Omen motherboard

Need help identifying the chip in the pic so I can order one. It looks to have "3D" and "U5 or maybe Q5" printed on it. I went on a couple sites to try and find it, but there are too many and I don't really know how to find it. I think it's a mosfet? of some kind. With some help on another site, I ordered 3 BC856 transistors as we thought this was the right part. But as you see in the 2nd pic, it's a little too big. Any help would be appreciated! Btw, this is near the battery connection terminals on an HP Omen 15 at location Q205.
    Attached Files

Re: Help identifying a chip on HP Omen motherboard

Whats the motherboard part number,have you checked for an available schematic .
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

This might help getting the right package, it is smaller that sot23-3 so maybe Sc-70 or SC-85
      Attached Files

Comment

As they have already said, without knowing the model or card or notebook it is not easy to identify the part. All the components that
        they start with Q, usually they are transistors but not always
        With 3D the most common component is MMBTA44
        Last edited by jasko_jacker; 12-02-2019, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
          Whats the motherboard part number,have you checked for an available schematic .
          Sorry for the delay, been very busy. The mobo part# is 812012-001 and I've looked literally for hours for a schematic. I even started a membership with Scribd and nothing. Some other mobo part #'s with the same components are :808333-001, 812013-001 and 812014-001. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
            This might help getting the right package, it is smaller that sot23-3 so maybe Sc-70 or SC-85
            Thanks, I will check this out ASAP!

Comment

Originally posted by jasko_jacker View Post
              As they have already said, without knowing the model or card or notebook it is not easy to identify the part. All the components that
              they start with Q, usually they are transistors but not always
              With 3D the most common component is MMBTA44
              Sorry for that, the model of the laptop is an HP Omen 15-5113dx.

Comment

I found this datasheet and noticed that the pins on the UMT and UMT3 are numbered different. I was going to order both and try them, but now I'm concerned that I will get something wrong...lol. I guess it's worth a try though, because the motherboard is not going to fix itself and is now just a paperweight.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by apache23 View Post
                  I found this datasheet and noticed that the pins on the UMT and UMT3 are numbered different. I was going to order both and try them, but now I'm concerned that I will get something wrong...lol. I guess it's worth a try though, because the motherboard is not going to fix itself and is now just a paperweight.
                  The marking codes don`t match. If you have the same part,with the same markings on another part of the board desolder it and test it with your multimeter to find out what it is or use a transistor tester.
                  Last edited by SMDFlea; 12-03-2019, 06:07 AM.
                  All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

The marking codes don`t match. If you have the same part,with the same markings on another part of the board desolder it and test it with your multimeter to find out what it is or use a transistor tester.
                    I've looked for the same chip on this board, as well as on at least 20 other motherboards and nothing. I can't find it online or anywhere and don't know really even how to find it. That's why I'm here.

Comment

What is wrong with the transistor on the board? is it shorted? or just check odd, because if it IS a digital transistor it will check odd (open) because of the built in resistors.

Comment

What is wrong with the transistor on the board? is it shorted? or just check odd, because if it IS a digital transistor it will check odd (open) because of the built in resistors.
                        If you look at the single chip (pic on the left), that's the chip on my new motherboard. I used that one so people might be able to see the markings. The pic on the right comparing the 2 chips shows the one that's fried. That's the one I need to find a replacement for.

Comment

Did you check the transistor on the new motherboard to see if it was NPN/PNP or maybe a MOSFET etc. It depends where it is used but it might just be a simple switching transistor, It could also be a custom number for the board maker

I do see a BC856W marking code 3Dt, Package style SC-70/SOT323
                          Last edited by R_J; 12-03-2019, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Did you check the transistor on the new motherboard to see if it was NPN/PNP or maybe a MOSFET etc. It depends where it is used but it might just be a simple switching transistor, It could also be a custom number for the board maker

I do see a BC856W marking code 3Dt, Package style SC-70/SOT323
                            How do I check to see if it's NPN/PNP or a MOSFET? I'm very inexperienced at this. I just know how to solder...lol. I can only see what you see in the picture. And it is located right by the battery terminal connector. I really appreciate your time and help btw. Thanks!

Comment

Post more photos so we can see whats around it

Comment

Use your multimeter in diode test, with one probe on the base then with the other probe check emitter then collector should read around .6xx if not reverse the probes and check again, depending on which probe is on the base should determine the polarity.
                                Based on picture 1, the base would be on the left, emitter on the right, collector by itself at the top.
                                If the new transistor checks like the one on the new MB, you could likely solder it in place even though the leads don't quite match the pads you should be able to solder it on to try it.

Comment

Post more photos so we can see whats around it
                                  OK, y'all are gonna love this! I'm not very good at drawing...lol! Here's a pic of the board and stuff around it and one more pic. Btw, those larger black chips above and to the left are components of the 16GB of RAM.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by apache23; 12-03-2019, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Use your multimeter in diode test, with one probe on the base then with the other probe check emitter then collector should read around .6xx if not reverse the probes and check again, depending on which probe is on the base should determine the polarity.
                                    Based on picture 1, the base would be on the left, emitter on the right, collector by itself at the top.
                                    If the new transistor checks like the one on the new MB, you could likely solder it in place even though the leads don't quite match the pads you should be able to solder it on to try it.
                                    I will have to disassemble the laptop, so I should have results within an hour. Thanks for the help. I didn't know what an emitter, collector and base were, but I do now, so thanks!

Comment

Instead of taking the laptop apart to get at the new board, can I use the old one with the bad chip? I just checked it and with the red lead on the base (leg on left) and black on the leg on the right, I get 0.340 and it started dropping and kept dropping slowly. It was at 0.251 when I removed the lead and still dropping. Red on base and black on top leg, I get 0.260, no dropping voltage. With black lead on base and red on right leg, I get .480, then it went up slowly to 0.504, then dropped slowly and kept dropping till it seemed to stop at 0.491....but after about 15 seconds, it dropped to 0.490. After about 25 more seconds, it dropped to 0.489 and that's when I removed the lead. Red lead on base and black on right leg, I get 0.340 and it dropped fast to 0.315...then slowly to 0.308 and seemed to rest there for 12 seconds, then dropped to 0.307 and I removed the lead. Red lead on base and black on top leg, I get 0.455.

Comment

The old chip will be bad, likely shorted if it burnt like in the picture

Comment

Working...
                                        X