New FV24 motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New FV24 motherboard

I post this here because the case is similair to Shuttle SV24.

I came across this site by accident but you guys are scaring me.
    Last week i was looking for something small to fit some old stuff i had lying around and bought this thing new for 100 euro's, it's a Chyang Fun CF-7789.
    The motherboard is a FV24 and it's identical to a Shuttle SV24, the housing is identical too except for the plexiglass front.
    Bought here: http://www.nowthatsit.nl/categorie.asp?categorie_id=188
    The picture is different so i took my own:

So this thing should be new it came all wrapped and everything sealed but a few caps loop suspicious.

Should i worry?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by willawake; 03-17-2006, 01:44 PM. Reason: upload offsite

Re: New FV24 motherboard

is that board an official shuttle or oem for chyang fun?

looks like the caps might have reacted in long storage. are there any more like that?
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I don't know, those Japanese/Chinese/Korean/Taiwan guys are always so vague about who makes what and where.
      The manual has a link to http://www.spacewalker.com on the back, i got to the site of Shuttle when i tried it.

There wasn't any other indication about a manufacturer in or on the box or the manual only a CF (?) marking on the back of the case like the one on the box.

The computer hasn't run much just a few seconds to test memory,harddisk and processor i got into the bios and when i tried to install XP it said that 32MB isn't enough so no problems there. It doesn't like the Registered ECC memory i have, i got strange characters on the screen inbetween the normal text..
      Attached Files
      Last edited by willawake; 03-17-2006, 01:43 PM. Reason: upload offsite

Comment

its either used or those caps are gonna blow their tops real quick if they bulged that much with the short test.
        the bad caps are likely the cause of the "strange characters "
        recap it before it blows up.

Comment

http://www.chyangfun.com/
          We OEM for the following companies Escom, Vobis, ASI, U-BIX, Schadt (Germany), Gigabyte(Taiwan),Fry's(USA), FiberNexix (UK), FIC(Taiwan), Keian (Japan), Shuttle, Iwill, QDI,
          looks like they build the shuttle cases. I was only interested in what was the connection between the companies. It is not really relevant for your situation.

i have not heard of SG brand caps before here so i guess they are some minor crap brand. the bad caps are near the ram, so expect wierd ram problems. maybe after a recapping your ram will be supported.

Comment

It's by no means unheard of for caps to go bad just by sitting in a box...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...88&postcount=7

You need to recap that board to use it, contact the place you bought it from and ask them what your options are, but whatever you do do not accept a replacement, it will in all likeleyhood come with bad caps too...

Your only option is to ask them to send you another type of board, with caps of good makes... Or recap it yourself or have someone do it for you...
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I'm not gonna recap myself or let anyone else touch it, i bought this barebones new just last week, European consumer law gives me a 2 year waranty.

Comment

Originally posted by pinobot
                I'm not gonna recap myself or let anyone else touch it, i bought this barebones new just last week, European consumer law gives me a 2 year waranty.
                Hehe, 2 years in theory. :

In my experience, if something's not DOA, or dead as a doornail within a few weeks, or if your dealer happens to be not-particularly-scrupulous, then the Saga Begins!

Then again,That's IT certainly has a very good rating, so it may well be worth a shot. (http://tweakers.net/shopsurvey/1053).

Still, bear in mind that not all dealers may regard bulging SG (Simon & Garfunkel) caps a "failure" as far as warranty is concerned.
                Last edited by tiresias; 03-17-2006, 11:12 AM.

Comment

We'll see, i mailed the manufacturer asking what to do.
                  Things are not going smoothly, first the Tualatin processor i had can't be used and then the ECC memory didn't work, the CD-rom didn't read cd-rw's very well and now the caps are about to pop.

Comment

In my experience, if something's not DOA, or dead as a doornail within a few weeks, or if your dealer happens to be not-particularly-scrupulous, then the Saga Begins!
                    yes, it can be difficult in some situations. it helps to build up relationships with a small number of suppliers passing good business their way, then when you have probs they are interested to help. i would not like to try to explain such an issue to some of my suppliers though.

pinobot is correct though, the unit is unacceptable for sale. however it may assist the case to run some memtest, i think there should be some errors. then try installing windows, maybe there will be some file copy errors and some crashing later. build up a report and send it to the shop with the complaint.

the problem is that if we are talking about a chemical reaction in the caps while the product is stored (and we know this can happen), i think the other units the supplier holds may perhaps display similar problem.

Excluding that, all the boards will probably have the same non known reliable caps on them.

Actually we know even the shuttle branded machines have crappy caps on them and we have some failure reports on the forum which are attributed to either just the crappyness of the caps or also the toasty environment of the sff systems accelerating failure.

I say this because the shop may push for a replacement system rather than a refund. Personally i would say that even if the board had pristine Simon & Garfunkel : caps on it I would say it should be recapped early for satisfactory longevity simply because they are a brand of unknown reliability (although pinobot's report anyway indicates that this brand of caps mayl be unreliable later even for pristine examples)

regarding the tualatin - should have checked to see if this was the later revision board that has support.

regarding the ecc - like i said perhaps with good caps in the region of the slots your ram might be supported but anyway we know ecc support can be problematic on many boards

the cdrom - what brand is it?

anyway pinobot i hope you have success. perhaps you may have paid with credit card and then you have a second option for refund with the credit card company.
                    Last edited by willawake; 03-17-2006, 12:24 PM.

Comment

About the Tualatin, the manual says:
                      2.1 Specifications:
                      Supports Socket 370 package CPU with 66/100/133 MHz FSB.
                      Intel PPGA/FC-PGA Celeron processors: 300 ~ 800+ MHz.
                      Intel Pentium III FC-PGA Processors: 500 MHZ ~ 1.13+ GHz.
                      VIA Cyrix III processors.
                      Now where do i get a 1.13+ GHz non Talatin?
                      http://www.geek.com/procspec/intel/pentium3consumer.htm
                      The Tualatin i tried was a Celeron 800, a very nice processor that had no problem running at 133MHz FSB on a lower voltage @ 45 degrees Celsius stressed, it's probably fried now.

Te cd-rom is an A-Open, i used nLite to make a light version of XP with memory check disabled but got some missing file errors, i thought it was the cd-rom but it could just as well be the caps.

I found some other sites that mention problems with ECC memory with the FV24 mobo.

Everything is going wrong today, i had to degauss my monitor twice today because of a darker spot on the top of my screen and got a bill for a domain i canceled more than a half year ago , send the guy a mail and he said he never got the cancelation. Thank God it's weekend.
                      Last edited by pinobot; 03-17-2006, 01:23 PM.

Comment

About the Talatins, what is so special about them that some mobos can't support them? (I've never owned one)

Do they only require lower vcore voltage or also some other speciality? I.e. are they like AMD's Athlon XP vs Athlon XP-M (Mobile) processors?
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

it was a die shrink of coppermine just before they switched to P4. The fastest P3s were too hot. Because of the die shrink to .13 from .18 required less voltage. Included a heat spreader like p4 and the larger stock hsf from the p3 series with a better clip design. Included also "Data Prefetch Logic" working to avoid using main memory and cache instead where possible.

tualatin FC-PGA2 1.45v .13 micron
                          end of PIII FC-PGA 1.8v .18 micron

nice to find tualatin p3-s for server which is dual proc enabled and have 512mb cache.

i have a 1.2 tualatin and asus tusl2 which i will maintain for nostalgia purposes. great procs. currently running fedora 4.2

requires either compatible board or socket adaptor with which YMMV

Comment

So I take it BIOS support is necessary?

Or is it only required that the board supports a normal Coppermine CPU and that it can lower the vcore "more than usual"?

Comment

no i think there are board design changes but probably small ones relating to the socket. i know you could not flash a cusl2 to support tualatin.
                              Last edited by willawake; 03-17-2006, 02:48 PM.

Comment

by the way "pino" in Greek means i drink. so i guess we have a drinking robot on our forum. welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                                  no i think there are board design changes but probably small ones relating to the socket. i know you could not flash a cusl2 to support tualatin.
                                  Yes, there are differences. VTT is 1.25V instead of 1.5V and VCORE has 0.025V step (some Tualatins have 1.475V default voltage). And there are some more pin changes so it does not run on older boards. However, it can be modified. It involves pulling out two pins and connecting two (if you have 1.475V voltage, you have to connect something more).

Comment

1) I don't think the FV24 ever supported Tualatins, only the FV25 did. AFAIK, It required a newer Northbridge revision.

2) The VRM on most FV24s uses flaky 'Gloria' or similar crap-caps. It's best to recap them immediately on acquisition. If you send it back for warranty replacement, you'll most probably get another box with crap caps in it.

3) Check the Channel Well PSU in these boxes for bad caps - they're usually Fuhjjyus, and the caps are physically small and installed in inaccessible places (under heat-sinks, etc.). It almost always pays to recap the PSU pre-emptively.

Comment

Brought it back to the shop this morning, got a call in the afternoon that it was ready and got it back, great service .
                                      Photo:

6 caps are replaced, i hope it solves the problem, it's running fine now.
                                      Last edited by pinobot; 03-21-2006, 11:11 AM.

Comment

damn that is awesome service.

Comment

Working...
                                        X