Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharp Aquos - Horizontal Line and flickering colors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp Aquos - Horizontal Line and flickering colors.

Hey there guys. So my Sharp LC-70LE650U went haywire the other day with what started at flicking colors and than a horizontal line coming from the right side of the screen.

I have been reading through this forum for the last few days trying to find a solution and determine the exact problem and from what I gather based on what others have experienced, it looks as if one of the tab drivers have shorted out and I may have to remove the one sides tab drivers. Seeing as this is an irreversible and last option for a TV I was wondering if any of you have any advise or feedback you can offer me to come up with a solution. Any help would be greatly GREATLY appreciated.

I took a few shots to help determine the problem.

This is what the screen is looking like after the problem started.

I have removed the back and attempted a few things that have seen other try out such as unplugging one side of the Tcon and then switching to unplugging the other to see if that was the problem.

Ride side unplugged of Tcon. (Viewed from back)

Left side unplugged of tcon. (Viewed from back)

With the right side unplugged, it is coming up nice and white on that side. But I can see a small part of the line that started from the right side still extending into the left side. (When viewed from the front) Very thin and hard to see in the picture.
    Not sure if that is extending via the bad connection from the right side all the way or not or if that makes an significant change to my situation.

Again based on what I read it seems as if this problem is not based on the Tcon board itself being faulty and is more looking like a tab driver issue.

I also than tried removing the metal covering for the side and unplugged the white ribbon at the bottom to see if that would help with the solution and this is how it is coming up.

As you can see the image is more white and the horizontal line is still there. It is coming up slow with a kind of lag if I bring up the menu or any other images on that side.

I did not try and remove the left side ribbon (Viewed from front) from the tab driver based on it looks to be starting from the right side and it is fairly inaccessable based on the TV design having the command buttons located right in that area. Seemed like I would have to start taking it apart even further to be able to do that and I figured I should ask you lovely helpful people first before I make any further moves.

Any advise you guys can offer me at this point would be AMAZING!!! Unfortunately I am going in for surgery tomorrow morning and won't be mobile for a month or so and this TV was going to be my entertainment to help me keep my sanity. (Timing. XD) Would be great if I can try something out today if someone is around to offer advise.

Thank you guys for even taking the time to read.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Shidoxen; 06-08-2016, 02:56 PM.

Re: Sharp Aquos - Horizontal Line and flickering colors.

your testing has been pretty good and it appears the right side is in trouble. It would be nice if you could feed in a good signal (from a dvd or such) with a color bar pattern. Then you will get a better view of things... this would be with the lower corner right side cable disconnected.

IF the "side" is based on "looking at the set"... as pictured in your post. It is "funny" as it looks like the lower left corner cable has been disconnected. Please confirm with some reference what "right" and "left" is for you.

Comment

Hey thanx for the reply.

I couldn't access a color test pattern. Maybe Im just not seeing it or unsure how to access it. I tried from the factory boot menu and there was an option saying color test pattern, but written beside it was (Not supported)

It was located in the same menu as this image. This is green based on testing one more time a hard reset.

I updated the first post with (viewed from the front) info ect to make it less confusing, but you were correct. Looking at the TV from the front, the right side ribbon cable was disconnected.

Since I couldn't bring up the color pattern, I took a few screen shots from booting up netflix on the TV to hopefully help out with an idea.

As you can see its very flickery and lines are still present.

Once again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
      Attached Files

Comment

if you have experience in electronics. open the back cover of tv. here in bad caps are some other guys that removed the driver tabs from the side. on the first picture you added, you removed one tab and it went white one side and the other with lines. am pretty sure thats the bad side of the dirvers, why? because when you try the other side it didnt have lines and no flickering just a perfect picture.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

go here:
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50060

Comment

Man these sharps are dropping heavier than my babies !
              Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

I saw that thread earlier. It looks like it is the same problem honestly and hopefully the same fix will happen for me. XD

Question though. How do you go about removing the tab drivers. I keep reading about peeling them off and pull them towards the front of the screen. Are they fairly easy to pull off? I looked at them attached to the panel and they dont look like they are on there too much so is it more of a just pull/ripe them off with some care?

Comment

That was the most scary and RELIEVING thing I have done in a long time.

Decided to pull the tab drivers out since I am out of time before tomorrows surgery and it works 100% perfect screen! AMAZING fix. At least for now which mattered most to me.

Thank you to all you guys who provided knowledge to others here on badcaps.
                  Attached Files

Comment

good luck on your surgery.
                    Based on my experience with the "saved sharp", your tv will be working good for a long time... now presently more than 8 months since the "save".

Comment

Sorry to revive an almost year-old thread. I acquired three Aquos LC-60EQ10U TVs and each of them have the dreaded TCON/Tab driver issue. I've already tried disconnecting cables from each side of the TCON and no matter which side gets pulled I still get a distorted image. I've read that one tab driver could still be causing the issue but since I got these for free I'm in for nothing lost.

I assume I have no real way to tell which tab driver board went bad? On one TV I seem to have a much more clear image with the left TCON connected but still had horizontal lines - the right side was pure distortion. So I thought maybe I could disconnect the tab driver on the left side. I've disassembled the TV and can see the boards on the bottom - how are these removed? Did anybody have some sort of write up?

Comment

you don't touch the boards on the bottom. The side driver tabs are connected at the corners of the bottom boards. I do believe that cable is "unclampable". You unclamp one corner and see what happens to your picture. Then you do the same for the other. Depending on the outcome, it will then tell you which tabs (right or left) that you need to disconnect... there is no guessing required.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                          you don't touch the boards on the bottom. The side driver tabs are connected at the corners of the bottom boards. I do believe that cable is "unclampable". You unclamp one corner and see what happens to your picture. Then you do the same for the other. Depending on the outcome, it will then tell you which tabs (right or left) that you need to disconnect... there is no guessing required.
                          Looking at the t-con board I have four ribbon cables (two for each side) I've already alternated removing one side and then the other. It appears that both sides have some artifacts. Meaning I never get a single clear image on one side of the panel. Each side of the ribbon cables from the t-con connect to the bottom board. So you're saying this isn't the board I'm supposed to do anything with? Sorry and thanks

Here is a photo of the panel showing the lower board separated from the frame.

Last edited by maestro300; 04-10-2017, 08:56 PM. Reason: Photo upload

Comment

thanks for the additional information. First, the picture that you provided, shows the only the bottom boards.... please look towards the corner of the set / end of the boards and provide a similar picture... there should be tab connections along each side of the panel that are connected to the boards via some sort of flex / flat cabling.

Further provide a picture of the picture that you get when you say "distorted image" which does provide much information to go on.

Comment

Unfortunately for you the 60 inch version does not use horizontal side tab drivers. They are incorporated into the vertical gate drivers. As of now there is no fix for this series panel
                              Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                                Unfortunately for you the 60 inch version does not use horizontal side tab drivers. They are incorporated into the vertical gate drivers. As of now there is no fix for this series panel
                                Thanks for the update - I read the same on a Vizio TV using the Sharp panel as well - I was pretty sure I did not see any side driver boards and you confirmed it. Unfortunately I have three of these TVs with the same issue - tried swapping T-con between different displays to see if the same issue happened and that never seemed to change the outcome.

I'll just reassemble them and recycle. Thanks!

Comment

but look closer on the side... there aren't necessarily boards... just a ribbon cable running along the side.... maybe as those have been also reported.

Comment

Right I have never physically seen a 60 inch panel in my presence. Are there any tabs hanging off the sides of the LCD panel?
                                    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

freakaftr8... I think I have seen posts (of course, the poster could be mistaken about the tv model) that indicate that the tab cables / ribbons are along the side from the "top to bottom" and connected to the bottom edge boards with no side edge boards.... but I too have not physically seen a 60 in set and not many have posted good pictures of the sides and bottom corners of things to clearly see what is happening there.

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post

Incorrect,they DO have side tabs! And yes,you can remove them the same way.
                                        Proud owner of dozens of broken TV's and many,many,many boards.

Our website and passion:http://hollenhundshepherds.com/

Comment

Working...
                                        X