Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ENVISION EN9410e 19" Monitor

Originally posted by Krankshaft
    They just keep finding more ways to make things universal don't they?

Probably the other jumper settings are for larger monitors with slightly larger CCFLs still smart though.

I also like how the output voltages and currents are printed on the board if only more boards were this service friendly.
    Like the lyrics of 'The Windmills of Your Mind', things keep on spinning. 40 years ago I occasionally found the complete schematic of a TV tucked into an envelope inside the cabinet. Then it progressed to the point where you had to write to the manufacturer on business letterhead, and they would send it to you free. And on to the point where they would sell you a book of schematics for the price of a six-pack. We've gone from sealed cases with 'tamperproof' screws preventing you from even opening the monitor to monitors which actually have standard screws which allow easy (kind of) opening the case. We have power supply boards labeled with output voltages. Perhaps this will continue to evolve until we have the complete schematic of the board micro-printed on the board.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Hehe the first TV I servcied an old 1981 GE (shot flyback) had the schematic clipped in a little compartment one the outside of the case that could only be removed from inside the case. I was thinking what's this ?

I was also working on an old 1959 audio projector I was skimming the Internet for schematics of the tube amp before I opened it for a recap and selenium overhaul. I get one and what is stapled to the inside of the case? The schematic of course.

I wish modern sets had that on the inside instead of the stupid HV warnings inside the case.

I have to pay some guy half way around the world like 10 bucks for it (I have no clue where they get them).

Oddly enough my over oven Microwave Sharp from 2001 (replaced magnetron), Dishwasher, Washing Machine, and Dryer all had the schematics tucked in an envelope.

Why not TVs? Probably because they figure it's not worth it since consumers just junk them most of the time.
      Last edited by Krankshaft; 08-18-2009, 07:32 PM.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
        Whoah!!! Awesomely bad pictures, dude! The next time you do this try to get the entire board in focus.

OK, to be serious now, the caps that are in focus in the angle shots all clearly have bulging tops. There are a couple that it's a little hard to tell. There are seven caps to replace; I've circled six in the attached picture, the arrow points to number 7. Replace them all, the extra expense will be minimal.

Personally, I prefer Panasonic FC or FM series caps from Digikey. I just rebuilt one monitor; the total cost of the 11 caps was under $5.00. Since you appear to be in Canada, that should be about $3.75 Canadian

If you desire help with selections, post the capacity, voltage, and dimensions of the seven caps I marked. Someone will note the proper replacements.

The pins are used to set the over current limit for the CCFLs. The inverter controller monitors the current through the CCFLs and shuts down if any exceed the set point. Note that a jumper is glued in place. Moving the jumper is not recommended.

PlainBill
        Sorry about the pictures! I was super tired and didn't feel like spending the time to set up a better shot. I have since taken apart three other Envisions and all have the same problem.

I would definitely appreciate guidance in buying the capacitors as this is my first delving into this kinda thing.

The printing on the capacitors is as follows:

470uF 25V
        KF105
        C536
        VENT
        As for the dimensions...they are about yay big by about this much...

.625 inches high
        .25 inches wide

Does this help?

BTW originally from Canada: 6'4" (BigCanada) Currently live in Texas
        Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory

Comment

Originally posted by BigCanada
          Sorry about the pictures! I was super tired and didn't feel like spending the time to set up a better shot. I have since taken apart three other Envisions and all have the same problem.

I would definitely appreciate guidance in buying the capacitors as this is my first delving into this kinda thing.

The printing on the capacitors is as follows:

470uF 25V
          KF105
          C536
          VENT
          As for the dimensions...they are about yay big by about this much...

.625 inches high
          .25 inches wide

Does this help?

BTW originally from Canada: 6'4" (BigCanada) Currently live in Texas
          A couple of problems.

There are at least two different values of caps in the pictures. Replacing only some of them doesn't make sense unless you want to pull the monitor apart again in 6 months.

The dimensions you gave don't match a standard cap size. 1/4" diameter caps are very uncommon in 470 uF.

For what it's worth, the caps 470 uF, 25 V caps will cost you about $.37 each in packages of 10. If the smaller caps are the value I suspect, they would cost $.22 each in a package of 10.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

A couple of problems.

There are at least two different values of caps in the pictures. Replacing only some of them doesn't make sense unless you want to pull the monitor apart again in 6 months.

The dimensions you gave don't match a standard cap size. 1/4" diameter caps are very uncommon in 470 uF.

For what it's worth, the caps 470 uF, 25 V caps will cost you about $.37 each in packages of 10. If the smaller caps are the value I suspect, they would cost $.22 each in a package of 10.

PlainBill
            Sorry...the smaller one is a 470 uF 10V. There is also a big one in the middle which is 100 uF 400V
            I was measuring with a tape as that is all I had on hand so it may be a little bit off?
            Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory

Comment

Originally posted by BigCanada
              Sorry...the smaller one is a 470 uF 10V. There is also a big one in the middle which is 100 uF 400V
              I was measuring with a tape as that is all I had on hand so it may be a little bit off?
              Yeah, about 50%

OK, here are my best suggestions.

For the 470 uF, 10V Digikey part number P12361-ND

For the 470 uF, 25V Digikey part number P12388-ND

Double and triple check to make sure you have listed all of the caps.

PlainBill

Comment

This was a very interesting thread. I inherited an Envision EN9410e flat panel monitor that I intend to look into. Being an average tech type it is my hope to use this as a learning oppotunity.
                Doing my research and finding this information posted here in the forum I think that I'm armed with enough information needed for some measure of success. Although I have not soldered on an electronic circuit board before, it doesn't seemed to be an impossible task.
                It would be nice to find a repair manual, or troubleshooting procedure for this monitor, however disassmbling the unit and looking for overheated and blown items is more than llikely a good place to start.

Comment

Good luck with your repairs! Everybody here is more than happy to help, just ask if you have any questions. Pictures help if you have specific questions.

Comment

Hi Folks,

This is great info, I had the same monitor and the same problem, and replacing all the caps fixed it for me!

The longest part of this is the de-assembly of the monitor. FIRST take off the base, which you do by removing the 2 black screws on the little hinge cover , then remove that little black cover and you will find 2 more silver screws under that black cover. Once you get the base off, you will find a hidden screw under where the base was connected that would have prevented you from taking the back off. Then you can remove the 4 screws in the back (plus 1 under where the base was connected). Then get about 5 thin flat blade screwdrivers and start carefully prying the back off... mine made lots of scary popping noises but nothing broke for me - good luck, do this at your own risk, the worst case scenario is that your broken monitor will be permanently broken!

Pretty much all mine on the side of the PCB were bulging. The worst one of the lot was the one in the corner, the 470uF 10v fellow (smaller than the rest), it was actually leaking a little electrolyte out the top (see pics).

I ordered the Panasonic caps mentioned earlier in the thread (digi-key part number P12388-ND) and they work great EXCEPT when I got my unit and desoldered all the old caps I found that two of the caps were actually 1000uf 10v units in the same size/color can as the 470uf units... Just to be on the safe side, I found some 1000uF 16v units at Fry's (Fry's part number 1005343) that are in the same size can and which worked fine.

For other folks that might have already replaced their 1000uF caps with 470uF ones and not noticed... I wouldn't worry too much about it, it looks like the function of those is more smoothing/reservoir duty and if it worked when the monitor came on the first time it will probably continue to work. But if you are reading this and haven't ordered your caps yet, put down two 1000uf 10v or 16v...

For the one in the corner (the 470uf 10V that was leaking) I replaced that one with a 470uF 25v (same as the others on the board), there's room for it and I suspect that the manufacturer tried to save some fraction of a penny by putting a 10v unit there instead of a 25v unit. The 25v one should be more robust than the 10v one...

For those who don't know... you can always put a higher voltage capacitor in place of a lower voltage one, as long as they are the same type (ie, only put in an electrolytic capacitor where you took an electrolytic capacitor out...) and of course as long as the new one fits where the old one went.

I did not replace the big 100uf 400V cap - I suspect that one is never stressed since I am running at 120V and it looks like it is handling rectified mains AC... if you are in a 220v/240v country you might consider replacing that one as well. I also didn't replace the small cap near one of the transformers, I couldn't see its value (I think it might be 22uf 100V) but it wasn't bulging so I left it alone.

This is my first post but if all goes well you should see my before and after pictures below. Once again, THANKS to everyone who has posted earlier, you have saved me from buying a new monitor!!!

Marc

Comment

... and here's the photos...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi I have a Hanns.G HX191 with this same power supply - I re-capped the board with 105c 25volt caps apart from the large 100uf 400v and the 22uf c123 which both tested fine. The problem is I have no output voltages on the 5v and the 12v lines - any ideas? Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny1000
                          Hi I have a Hanns.G HX191 with this same power supply - I re-capped the board with 105c 25volt caps apart from the large 100uf 400v and the 22uf c123 which both tested fine. The problem is I have no output voltages on the 5v and the 12v lines - any ideas? Thank you
                          Define 'Tested fine'. Wasn't bulged, passed capacitance, ESR OK, leakage OK?

Have you carefully checked to voltage across the large cap with the monitor plugged in?
                          Are the replacements oriented properly?
                          Did you check for solder shorts?
                          How about bad solder joints?
                          How about testing the fuses?
                          What caps did you use as replacements?

PlainBill

Comment

Hello Bill - A quick update i now have 5v and 12v lines leaving the power board - 340v across the main cap (240V uk) tested with a capacitance meter I will replace the 22uf to be on the safe side - fuses are ok - dry joints brought back the 5 and 12v. What I get now is a complete dead looking monitor with the power led flashing on for a micro second then nothing. I have repaired six or seven monitors since you helped me out with my first monitor, but here I am again help!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny1000
                              Hello Bill - A quick update i now have 5v and 12v lines leaving the power board - 340v across the main cap (240V uk) tested with a capacitance meter I will replace the 22uf to be on the safe side - fuses are ok - dry joints brought back the 5 and 12v. What I get now is a complete dead looking monitor with the power led flashing on for a micro second then nothing. I have repaired six or seven monitors since you helped me out with my first monitor, but here I am again help!
                              One common cause of the brief flash of the power LED is shorted transistors in the inverter. Some logic boards us the 12V supply to as the supply for the various bucking regulators on the logic board. Another possibility is corrupted user memory (serial eeprom) on the logic board.

PlainBill

Comment

Thanks to everybody for the excellent descriptions and step-by-step for this repair. In ONE Google search I zeroed in on the model of my LCD panel, the trouble described AND the fix.

The parts are ordered from DigiKey and I await the day soon when this will all be a bad memory.

Thanks again!

MDF

Comment

=PlainBill
                                  P.S. We're from the same town!

MDF

Comment

Originally posted by TelcoDude
                                    P.S. We're from the same town!

MDF
                                    A Sun Devil's fan from Minnesota????

PlainBill

Comment

A Sun Devil's fan from Minnesota????

PlainBill
                                      Well, I was basing that on your avatar info:

http://www.mdfisher.com/files/Uhhh.jpg

MDF
                                      Last edited by TelcoDude; 01-02-2010, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TelcoDude
                                        Well, I was basing that on your avatar info:

http://www.mdfisher.com/files/Uhhh.jpg

MDF
                                        I LIVE in Phoenix. I'm FROM Ramsey, MN by way of Fort Lauderdale, FL.

PlainBill

Comment

I LIVE in Phoenix. I'm FROM Ramsey, MN by way of Fort Lauderdale, FL.

PlainBill
                                          Well, OK. Pardon my assumption. I will strive to be more literal in the future.

Comment

Working...
                                          X