----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard with a Pentium G630 and a bad #1 PCIe x16 slot (but the other PCIe x16 slots work, albeit at x8 since only the #1 slot is truly an x16 slot).

Attached Files

Comment

Found a Tesla Color Oravan 4333A TV two days ago, don't have much use for it but maybe some collector will be interested. The induction cooker which was put on the TV may be of better use, gonna have to check it…
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

A couple old desktops.

Desktop #1:
          Case: Unbranded, very cheaply made, damaged bezel.
          CPU: AMD Sempron 3100+(Socket 754)
          Motherboard: MSI K8MM-V
          RAM: 2GB DDR 400
          GPU: GeForce fx-5200
          HDD: Western Digital Caviar WD2500 (250GB SATA)
          ODD: DVD-ROM (IDE)
          PSU: Newton NPS -250KB (Dell branded) 250W
          Other: 3.5" FDD

Desktop #2:
          Case: Antec SLK2650BQE
          CPU: Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0ghz (Prescott LGA775)
          Motherboard: Asus P5V800-MX
          RAM: 2GB DDR 400
          GPU: ATI Radeon X1050 (AGP)
          HDD: Segate Barracuda 160GB (IDE)
          ODD: DVD-RW (IDE)
          PSU: FSP AX400-PN 400W
          Other: 3.5" FDD, 802.11 b/g wifi card, media card reader

Attached Files
          Last edited by dmill89; 08-04-2017, 07:06 PM.

Comment

that DDR 400MHz ram is worth a lot these days - i'm envious.

Comment

You mean worth close to nothing right?
              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

think so? go look up the cost of 1gig ddr400
                funny thing with ram, first it goes down in price, then it goes up again!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  think so? go look up the cost of 1gig ddr400
                  funny thing with ram, first it goes down in price, then it goes up again!
                  I will go and look on ebay too as have a few sticks of ddr400 myself as maybe worth selling then

Comment

High density: 2.95 USD incl. shipping.
                    Low density: 2.55 GBP incl. shipping.

All new.

Comment

i'v not seen desity mentioned for DDR, are you looking at DDR2??

Comment

No.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                          You mean worth close to nothing right?
                          ^This, a few years ago when systems with DDR were still worth upgrading the prices were crazy for the 1GB sticks, but now that most systems with DDR are too old for much of anything (virtually no one is still using, much less paying to upgrade Pentium 4 and first gen Athlon 64 systems anymore) the prices have dropped to almost nothing (<$5 per stick).

It is simple supply and demand, after the major manufactures stop making a certain kind of ram but the systems it is used in are still relevant/worth upgrading the price goes up, then once the systems that use said ram become too obsolete/not worth upgrading the price drops again.

Comment

Than the chinese come and start making no-name sticks for few bucks. Memory prices have not been so low ever in the history as they are now. Anything but high-demand types (DDR3 8 or 16 GB, DDR4, DDR2 ECC 2 GB) costs almost nothing.

As for K8, if it is 939 you can easily get dual-core for few bucks and it can still be of some use, 99 % systems accept X2 CPUs, many even without BIOS update. Most Intel systems on the other hand are screwed unless it is one of few chipsets which support at least Pentium D, if not Core.

Comment

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Got a couple of interesting computer parts that I haven't seen before

Nakamichi MJ-5.16si - 5 Disk PC CD changer - £2
                              Torisan CDR-C3G - 3 Disk Changer - £2

No idea they existed and for a couple of quid each thought would be worth a punt. Dates 1995 on the torisan and 1999 on the nakamichi. Don't have anything with IDE but do have a USB to IDE convertor so will try testing on that.

Also got a black wii console and 4 mario games for £10 which is pretty good.

Comment

I've not seen those before but I've heard of Nakamichi. That drive looks to be 50pin SCSI but the other is IDE.
                                Does it have Mario Kart ? I should check mine, it's been in the cupboard months.

Comment

Got this laptop for 15$ , An I core 5 with no upper parts at all ( no hinges , screen , webcam , etc) . the guy who sold it thought it is a Sony from the outlet resemblance and because of the missing labels .
                                  It turned out to be an LG something , as yet i'm not sure what is the exact model . The problem was one DDR3 faulty ram .. and it's working perfectly on external monitor . Not bad at all as equipped with a Nvidia 310M.
                                  Doing some researches relayed on parts numbers , it sounds like available parts are only in Brazil or south Korea . On the usual sites , no parts are available , So we'll leave it for the time being as a spare parts .

Comment

Got a PS2 fat - faulty laser - it's a 50000 model to top that, so not sure if it's worth to repair. Also got a controller separately that looks brand new.

Also got a S3 mini. Shame it's the VE version, otherwise it's in pretty fine condition, apart from the camera throwing a media server error (or something along that) and constantly showing earphones connected though there are no headphones connected. (might be an issue with the audio port, got to look into that.)

I think I might have an i8190N motherboard somewhere in my house that might have CWM, and I'll see if the boards are interchangable between the i8200N and the i8190N. If they are, I might as well throw CM13 or 14.1 in the mix since most of the new Android ROMs for the S3 mini were developed for the 8190, and almost none for the 8200.
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

is the 50000 the original one with a cast heatsink and deep harddrive/expansion connector?
                                      if it is, you got lucky(if it works).
                                      they are used on some arcade systems and spares are worth $$

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                        I've not seen those before but I've heard of Nakamichi. That drive looks to be 50pin SCSI but the other is IDE.
                                        Does it have Mario Kart ? I should check mine, it's been in the cupboard months.
                                        Never even heard of SCSI

Powered them both up and seem to work, accept blank disks and load them just no way to see if lasers are working / will play disks.

I was wondering given they have headphone jacks built in could i just play a music cd directly of the drive or does it need to be connected to a computer?

Wii came with Mario Kart, Smash bros and a few other games. Tested it out and all seems good.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                          is the 50000 the original one with a cast heatsink and deep harddrive/expansion connector?
                                          if it is, you got lucky(if it works).
                                          they are used on some arcade systems and spares are worth $$
                                          Yes, it's the big PHAT version, with the HDD connector, and it turns on, but the laser is gone. (KHS-400C - some ship with Sanyo SF-HD7 lasers which are miles better)

The 5k isn't really worth it because of Sony's stupid sabotage on the "LA6508" chip. Look it up to see what I mean.

It's going to be replaced by a older 30004R. Same kind of PS2 (phat) but at least it might be chipped (I saw some wires neatly sticking out through a vent inside it). Might be just a bad video port or a bad BA5815FM chip, since it will eject discs but won't output video. Might as well be the onboard fuses though. I narrowed it down to being a v5/6 model, and these are the best you can get (next to the v7 models) as they usually come with SF-HD7 lasers which give a smooth disc reading.

If it won't work, oh well. More parts to actually fix the 50000 then.
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X