This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Got a KENWOOD TS-480SAT for free. Needs cables and a mic.
    Last edited by goontron; 04-02-2016, 11:05 PM.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
      Got a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe for $1.80.
      Lucky you! It looks like I keep getting scammed every time I try to get one online... And my A7N8X-X has bad Chemicon KZG 3300 uF caps...

Looks like folks commonly charge more than what it cost in 2004!
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 04-02-2016, 11:08 PM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

really?
        i think i have one somewhere.

Comment

Free 3ft x 2ft commercial shelving. the metal type that slots together. the particle board was musty so $20 in plywood from the local lumber/hardware store and it's perfect (if not a tad ugly!)

excuse the mess, since i'm getting rid of my office all the stuff needs to find a plzce in my room
          Attached Files

Comment

is that a car radiator fan, or an actual comercial product, it looks huge!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              is that a car radiator fan, or an actual comercial product, it looks huge!
              lolwut, just a house fan

Comment

Picked up a Needham EMP-20 for $30. Included the 01, 03, 28 and 06 modules. Can do most ROMs before 2000, as well as a lot of PALs, GALs, Zilog Z86s, etc. Gotta see if I can figure out how to hack new presets in for slightly newer roms, or find a newer programmer later and just sell this one off again.

Attached Files

Comment

NICE! i love programmers.
                  i have a few.

you may find something usefull here - the guy is a programmer-fan
                  http://matthieu.benoit.free.fr/tech.htm

Comment

ah yes - link:
                    http://matthieu.benoit.free.fr/Eetools_emp-20.htm

Comment

MORE SPEAKERS!

This time I got two 15" drivers from Craigslist. One is an Eminence Kappa Pro-15A, and the other I haven't looked up yet. Both were advertised as blown and both look pretty beaten up when I got them. That said, the "unknown" one actually does work. Though it sounds like there is some debris in the voice coil gap, because I can hear the voice coil rub against something. It doesn't have a vinyl-type scratchy sound, though, so the voice coil may actually be okay. It measures 4 Ohms static resistance with a multimeter.

As for the Kappa Pro-15A: it is definitely blown. Voice coil is reading O/C, and moving the speaker cone up and down produces a vinyl-scratching sound. Rather than buying a new recone kit, I'm thinking about rewinding the voice coil on it. But I'll see when I get to it and get it open.

These things are still huge, though . They make my 10" Cerwin Vega drivers look like ear buds . Too bad I can't say the same about their magnets/motors. You can tell these are made for PA/bass guitar use, due to shallow motor. A pro 15" car woofer like that usually has double or triple -stacked magnets of the same diameter.

Oh well, they were free after all. Nonetheless, I gave the owner/CL poster $10 to buy a beer or something. I figure it's a nice thing to do for having them go through all the trouble of posting on CL.

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                      Free 3ft x 2ft commercial shelving. the metal type that slots together. the particle board was musty so $20 in plywood from the local lumber/hardware store and it's perfect (if not a tad ugly!)
                      I did the same with a Nickel-plated glass shevling from a neighbor that moved. The original shevles were grass, but half of them were broken or badly cracked. Got a piece of plywood from Home Depot for $30 and had them cut it to proper size. The thing looks legit now . Better than Ikea, anyways (IMO).

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                      excuse the mess, since i'm getting rid of my office all the stuff needs to find a plzce in my room
                      The mess we can forgive. But that potato you used in place of a camera is inexcusable . And moreover, how did you even get that thing running with Windows 10??
                      Last edited by momaka; 04-03-2016, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                        The mess we can forgive. But that potato you used in place of a camera is inexcusable . And moreover, how did you even get that thing running with Windows 10??
                        http://www.bing.com/search?q=htc+one...9782E33A6813A6

I have a second HTC One M7 that's in perfect condition but with a non-working mic. I got a new mic on eBay and just haven't got around to putting it in. Then I'm going to move all my stuff to that phone and keep my original one as a backup.
                        Last edited by shovenose; 04-03-2016, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Picked up a Logitech Harmony 700 for $20. Well worth the money, controls everything, allows for customized buttons, custom controls up on the LCD, etc.

Comment

P&O LC-B350ATX PSU for $1.79 (7 RON,lmao) is what I got today.

If there's one word that describes this PSU...it's GUTLESS.

EI-28ASG transformer (yes,they stoop'd that low and installed a 28 transformer...sad),diodes on a bracket,no PI coils, and caps were wimpier than anything I've seen. Heatsinks are thinner than paper,and primaries were,lo' and behold,220uF PRIMARIES! Seriously,they actually installed 220uF primaries,and they were not even the size of the silkscreen. How pathetic.

Anyhow,I actually think this might be a close 180-200W PSU. Just for fun,I've actually fixed it - the problem was a bulged 1000uF 16v Yang Chun cap. (why am I not surprised?) Since it's not a top of the line (or quality by any chance - I already have a CWT ISO in the works - a G-Alantic Enterprises ATX-350 PSU - ERL-35,and it's a true one) I replaced it with some KZG I had around that tested good,replaced the primaries with some 470uF caps I had from a Deer I worked on (a LC-B450E which now has some beefier Fuhjyyuu LP primaries from a Linkworld) and the unit came to life.

I reused the case from the P&O with a half-decent Deer I had been working on - EI-33ASG main transformer,470uF primaries (factory Yang Chun,of course ),PI coils on the secondary and lots of caps (Nichicon HM,PJ ('94 datecode),KZE and some Yang Chuns left from other projects) and the PCB from the P&O now resides in my "Fortrex" ST-350W PSU. (the donor Deer from which I took the beefier PCB) I have to install the PI coils and populate the cap places though. Also,the diodes on the bracket were so good they were shorted. Good thing I had a 16A rectifier from a scrapped PSU so I replaced the diodes. As for the fan that came with the P&O,I just scrapped it and installed a clean TP (Te Bao Metallic Plastic) fan from a Sun-Pro built Delux and wired it up on 12v.

If wanted,I can provide some pics.
                            Main rig:
                            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                            Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                            16GB DDR3-1600
                            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                            FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                            120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                            Delux MG760 case

Comment

P&O LC-B350ATX PSU for $1.79 (7 RON,lmao) is what I got today.
                              Lol, how many of those PSUs you got now? I think you must have an L&C/Deer obsession (fetish?) or something

But hey, better than an obsession with Sun-Pro or worse - PowMax PSUs .

(Nichicon HM,PJ ('94 datecode)
                              What's the date code on those Nichicon HM caps? If anything between 2001 (A/H01xx) and 2004 (A/H04xx), ditch them, because they will go bad. The ones with 2005 datecode are okay sometimes, but there's no telling which ones. Only 2006 and afterwards don't have problems.

As for the fan that came with the P&O,I just scrapped it and installed a clean TP (Te Bao Metallic Plastic) fan from a Sun-Pro built Delux and wired it up on 12v.
                              Why did you scrap the original fan? Was it seized? IMO Rulian Science is no worse than Te Bao fans.

If wanted,I can provide some pics.
                              I hope this is not a joke - of course we want pictures .
                              But this thread should suit the purpose better:
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=8490&page=61
                              Last edited by momaka; 04-12-2016, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Lol, how many of those PSUs you got now? I think you must have an L&C/Deer obsession (fetish?) or something

But hey, better than an obsession with Sun-Pro or worse - PowMax PSUs .
                                About 4-5. Two LC-B450Es with 2005 chips (do these work on older LC-BxxxATX models?I always wondered about that.) and three 01'-early 05' "B" revision ones. (the P&O LC-B350ATX,a beefy JNC LC-B300ATX w/PFC and the Fortrex w/ the EI-28 trafo). Out of these some are for sale though,as I need some cash. The only pnes that I will keep are the modded P&O that I swapped PCBs with,(it has one that I had around,with EI-33 trafo and PI coils (the latter being installed by me)and of course,the beefy JNC w/ PFC.

What's the date code on those Nichicon HM caps? If anything between 2001 (A/H01xx) and 2004 (A/H04xx), ditch them, because they will go bad. The ones with 2005 datecode are okay sometimes, but there's no telling which ones. Only 2006 and afterwards don't have problems.
                                '05. They come from a 2005 board.

Why did you scrap the original fan? Was it seized? IMO Rulian Science is no worse than Te Bao fans.
                                It was some awfully dusty Globe Fan. I replaced it with a Te Bao initially,and then I replaced it again with a Jamicon,which believe it or not came from a '07 Deer. The Jamicon seems better,but the Te Bao ain't something bad either.

I hope this is not a joke - of course we want pictures .
                                But this thread should suit the purpose better:
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=8490&page=61
                                Coming soon. I've got a cold lately but I'll see what I can do. I've got a lot of Deers to post,but I think I'll have to do it in a .rar. I'm doing them all,from the B models to the '05 and '07 models.

Also,it's easier to archive them into a .rar since they're at a big resolution thus a big file size. (res is 3264x2448)

And,crazy enough,one of the Deers (a Premier LC-B450E actually) I have actually powers a 2.8GHz P4. It's a Northwood though. The real tortured one is a LC-C400ATX ('05 PWM chip) in a i845E/3.0GHz HT Prescott system. And with a FX5500,which heats up like hell (even with a heatsink).

The only non-Deer PSUs I actually have are a Delux I built from old parts (Maxpower PCB,and only the fan is new,it's a brand new Sunon 80mm,1.7A leafblower),a 300W Codegen and a 350W G-Alantic Enterprises Co. LTD ATX-350W P2SC PSU that powers my main PC (3.2GHz EM64T Pentium 4 HT on LGA775,P5LD2 motherboard,2.5GB RAM,1TB HDD,GF 8500,TV tuner and 2x LG DVD-RW) and which is actually CWT ISO with a ERL-35 transformer (a true one,I've double checked since it's my first time working with ERL-35.)
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

picked up this oldie ,powers up and goes through the motions .cant see yet ,have 2 cga/ega monitors both with the video cords cut which is frustrating but im working on that.
                                  in the shed have picked up about 28 computers ,10 or so are P3,P2,P1 .
                                  Attached Files

Comment

not seen that class of machine for a while - ESDI harddrive i think.

Comment

thats a great score.
                                      Originally posted by goontron View Post
                                      Got a KENWOOD TS-480SAT for free. Needs cables and a mic.

Comment

Surplus auction finds:
                                        22 or so Plantronics CS70Ns, 3 C540s, 1 C361, 3 512s, 3 Vistas and a bunch of wired headsets\cables\etc. $5 for all of them.

http://imgur.com/a/PtrOb

Also got an IBM X3650 M2 for $20. It's an old Cisco rebadge one but has a Xeon E5405, 4 gigs ram, dual 650W PSUs.

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Here's one from Wednesday that I can finally post:

I scored a rain soaked Compaq presario out of a dumpster no less. I haven't been home to look at details but it does have a Sata lightscribe burner, a 500gb Seagate drive windows 7 coa, and 3gb of DDR2. It was amd based and had a bestec PSU (the12z kind).
                                          Last edited by ratdude747; 04-30-2016, 08:39 PM.
                                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                                          X