Sceptre X22WG-1080P display goes out after warm-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sceptre X22WG-1080P display goes out after warm-up

I have a Sceptre X22WG-1080P that powers on fine and runs for about 10-15 min. After 10-15min. or so the display flickers w/black horizontal lines.

Then after the horizontal screen flicker (maybe 5min.) the display goes to a blank gray screen w/vertical lines. The brightness and vertical lines change based on the movement of the video source.

Now the goofy part is that I can turn off the display OR the video input such as pc or Xbox360 and the display is fine again for a few minutes.

One thing I've noticed is that the longer it's powered on it takes less time for the the display to go wacko after turning it on and off again.

I've already replaced 8 caps (none looked bad) with Panasonics w/the same specs. It changed nothing. The only caps I did not replace is the large Taicon one and a small Teapo 33uf 35v.

I've attached some pics of what the display looks like as well as the pcb.
    Attached Files

Re: Sceptre X22WG-1080P display goes out after warm-up

Originally posted by SmiggyG
    I have a Sceptre X22WG-1080P that powers on fine and runs for about 10-15 min. After 10-15min. or so the display flickers w/black horizontal lines.

Then after the horizontal screen flicker (maybe 5min.) the display goes to a blank gray screen w/vertical lines. The brightness and vertical lines change based on the movement of the video source.

Now the goofy part is that I can turn off the display OR the video input such as pc or Xbox360 and the display is fine again for a few minutes.

One thing I've noticed is that the longer it's powered on it takes less time for the the display to go wacko after turning it on and off again.

I've already replaced 8 caps (none looked bad) with Panasonics w/the same specs. It changed nothing. The only caps I did not replace is the large Taicon one and a small Teapo 33uf 35v.

I've attached some pics of what the display looks like as well as the pcb.
    Did you measure the voltages going to the video board?
    Why didn't you change the little teapo?
    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • GeForce GT1050
      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

I did not measure the voltages. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to electronics not to mention I don't have any decent test equipment. I'm more of a Mr. Fix It guy that can do the work once I'm pointed in the right direction. lol

Don't know why I did not change the Teapo. I guess at the time what I was reading focused on the 470uf caps so I changed all 8 of those with Panny FM P12389-ND.

Btw, what does that Teapo (c210) do? Also based on my pics above would you say it could be a cap related or another problem?

Thanks for the help, this thing is driving me nuts.

Comment

I did not measure the voltages. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to electronics not to mention I don't have any decent test equipment. I'm more of a Mr. Fix It guy that can do the work once I'm pointed in the right direction. lol

Don't know why I did not change the Teapo. I guess at the time what I was reading focused on the 470uf caps so I changed all 8 of those with Panny FM P12389-ND.

Btw, what does that Teapo (c210) do? Also based on my pics above would you say it could be a cap related or another problem?

Thanks for the help, this thing is driving me nuts.
        The little guy sometimes gives trouble. I just repaired a VP201b power supply that instead of pumping 18v was barely doing 9v...... it was the small cap. Maybe the problem is similar in your case, but we need the output voltages of the PSU.
        Oh, and it may be a cap problem .....
        There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
        • Windows 10 Pro x64
        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Thanks, I'll order a replacement for the cheapo Teapo. In the meantime I'll see about getting those output voltages.

Comment

Thanks, I'll order a replacement for the cheapo Teapo. In the meantime I'll see about getting those output voltages.
            I hope this doesn't come across as too harsh, but you do really need some equipment if you are going to do the job properly (or at all). Depending on the type of operation, the equipment doesn't have to be too expensive. A screw driver, soldering iron, wire cutters, and a DMM are the minimum. My favorite DMM is a 37772-0VGA from Harbor Freight Tools; it'll set you back under $25. (If I were doing this full time to earn a living, I'd retire the Cen-Tech and buy a Fluke at many times the cost.)

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Did you ever get this fixed? I have the exact same problem with identical gray screen with lines running through it. I have already replaced the 470u.

The gray lines did not come up till after the 470u replacements about 2 months later. I replaced them again and same thing. Before that it was just a flashing blue light and would not power on until after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Okay, I grabbed a DMM from a friend. (already have everything else) But where to start?

I was reading the forum quite a bit and found this post. Not sure how I'm going to check the output of the psu w/the lcd panel hooked up. I have the same exact board/setup as the OP.

Comment

Okay, I grabbed a DMM from a friend. (already have everything else) But where to start?

I was reading the forum quite a bit and found this post. Not sure how I'm going to check the output of the psu w/the lcd panel hooked up. I have the same exact board/setup as the OP.
                  It's an entrance exam. If you can't pull the monitor apart successfully you don't get to fix it.
                  Follow the steps:
                  1. Lay monitor face down on a firm surface.
                  2. Remove stand and all associated hardware from the back.
                  3. Turn monitor over and remove front bezel carefully.
                  4. Remove screws holding LCD panel in place.
                  5. Lift LCD panel from back shell of monitor.
                  6. Lay LCD panel face down on firm surface.
                  7. Remove screws holding back enclosure to the LCD panel
                  8. Disconnect all cables and lift back enclosure from the LCD panel.
                  9. Remove screws holding power supply / inverter and logic card in back enclosure.
                  10. Place insulating material (I prefer the pink foam that new motherboards come with) on back of LCD panel and assemble power supply / inverter and logic card on it.
                  11. Connect all cables.

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by spectrex
                    Did you ever get this fixed? I have the exact same problem with identical gray screen with lines running through it. I have already replaced the 470u.

The gray lines did not come up till after the 470u replacements about 2 months later. I replaced them again and same thing. Before that it was just a flashing blue light and would not power on until after about 10 minutes.
                    What did you use as replacements?
                    • Windows 10 Pro x64
                    • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Ok, got it outta the back case and all hooked up.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here's what I came up with for voltages.

DMM set to 20 DCV
                        1 = 4.94 black stable
                        2 = 4.94 brown stable
                        3 = 4.94 red stable
                        4 = -0.03 orange stable
                        5 = -0.03 yellow stable
                        6 = -0.03 green stable
                        7 = 0.78-79 blue fluctuated between 0.78 & 0.79
                        8 = 1.83 dark blue-purple stable

Then I set the DMM to 1000 DCV and checked the giant 100uF 450v cap. I got a 161v stable reading. (sounds low to me)

Those were the only things I felt comfortable checking w/out damaging the monitor or myself.
                        Am I doing any of this right?

One thing to note, It took longer for the problem to occur with the lcd out of the casing. Also the temp has been really cold here as well. I've always suspected heat just for the fact that it works longer on a cold startup. But what and why is it heating up. The panel was pretty warm but not out of the ordinary. ????
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here's what I came up with for voltages.

DMM set to 20 DCV
                          1 = 4.94 black stable
                          2 = 4.94 brown stable
                          3 = 4.94 red stable
                          4 = -0.03 orange stable
                          5 = -0.03 yellow stable
                          6 = -0.03 green stable
                          7 = 0.78-79 blue fluctuated between 0.78 & 0.79
                          8 = 1.83 dark blue-purple stable

Then I set the DMM to 1000 DCV and checked the giant 100uF 450v cap. I got a 161v stable reading. (sounds low to me)

Those were the only things I felt comfortable checking w/out damaging the monitor or myself.
                          Am I doing any of this right?

One thing to note, It took longer for the problem to occur with the lcd out of the casing. Also the temp has been really cold here as well. I've always suspected heat just for the fact that it works longer on a cold startup. But what and why is it heating up. The panel was pretty warm but not out of the ordinary. ????
                          I have a couple of questions. Were these measurements made with a video source connectd to the monitor? Was the monitor working or had it 'died of heat stroke'?

As far as the readings go, for the most part they are a little lower than I would expect, but well within tolerances. Pins 1-3 are 5V to the logic card, I would have expected something closer to 5.1, but the normal commercial tolerance is 10%. Even using the industrial spec (5%), that is within specs. Pin 8 is the brightness control. The only thing unusual is pin 7. I would have expected that to be higher (5V) if the monitor was operating. The 161 volts is also within the acceptable range - it is perfect if your line voltage was 115 volts.

I think you are correct, this is a thermal problem. The question is, is the power supply dropping out of regulation when it warms up, is the logic card sending garbage to the panel, or is the LCD panel itself failing? A source of heat like a hair dryer should help determine that.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                            I have a couple of questions. Were these measurements made with a video source connectd to the monitor? Was the monitor working or had it 'died of heat stroke'?
                            Those measurements were done with a video source connected and the monitor was working. I did some more testing today without the video source connected. The monitor was on w/the blue led blinking.

Here's what I got:
                            DMM set to 20 DCV
                            1 = 5.00 black stable
                            2 = 5.00 brown stable
                            3 = 5.00 red stable
                            4 = 0.00 orange stable
                            5 = 0.00 yellow stable
                            6 = 0.00 green stable
                            7 = 3.2 blue fluctuated between 3.2 & 3.3
                            8 = 0.01 dark blue-purple stable

The large cap gave me a reading of 153v.

Kicked on the video source and got this w/good display:

DMM set to 20 DCV
                            1 = 4.94 black
                            2 = 4.94 brown
                            3 = 4.94 red
                            4 = -0.03 orange stable
                            5 = -0.03 yellow stable
                            6 = -0.03 green stable
                            7 = 0.73-74 blue fluctuated between 0.73 & 0.74
                            8 = 1.80 dark blue-purple

The large cap read 152-156v.

I will report more voltages as soon as the display goes wacky. As I mentioned earlier it's taking much longer to go bad being out of the case. Also I'm pretty sure I noticed running a game or a HiDef movie seems to bring the problem on quicker. Could be just me on that one though. :edit: there is much more heat on the back of the lcd panel where the DVI and VGA cables plug into the lcd.

As far as checking it out w/a hair dryer, should I hit the power supply/inverter or the back of the lcd panel?
                            Last edited by SmiggyG; 01-04-2010, 05:05 PM.

Comment

The lines could be due to a bad solder joint on the mainboard, a failing connection to the daughter board (via the bonded ribbon cable), or a bad joint on the daughter board itself.

The LCD connector from the mainboard usually feeds this daughter board to even access it usually requires partial disassembly of the panel. The daughter board feeds the actual LCD panel via a bonded ribbon cable.
                              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I see three possible causes:

1. The power supply. Unlikely, but very easy to check out.
                                2. The video controller (What I refer to as the logic card). More likely, and also easy to check out.
                                3. The LCD panel itself, specifically the electronics card that is on there somewhere (often under a metal cover). Most likely, IF what I understand about the way LCD panels work is correct.

Note that you want to arrange barriers (a piece of cardboard, etc) to make sure that you are only heating one area. And use gentle heat, you aren't trying to melt something!!!

PlainBill

Comment

Here we go....

1st I checked the voltages again with everything connected w/the display looking fine. Checked again once the flicker started and checked again once the display went to the bright gray. No differences.

It took nearly 1 hour for the problem to start this time. This makes sense because I'm now working on it in my basement which is about 5-7 degrees cooler than the rest of my house. My thermostat is set to 67 degrees which makes my basement roughly 61 degrees.

So I took off the metal housing w/daughter board behind it. (this is the area that was the warmest upon operation) I've included pics. The area in red was was hot enough to burn me. It kept getting hotter the longer the display was on.

The display was still functioning fine so I took a hair dryer to that specific area. Within a few minutes the display went to the bright gray. Once it did that the heat load was now on the other 2 large microprocessors.

So now the question is what is causing this? Something out of spec? Bad electronics on the daughterboard? I'm stumped!

Any suggestions?

I'm tempted to throw a drop of artic silver on it and make a homebrew heatsink.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Here we go....

1st I checked the voltages again with everything connected w/the display looking fine. Checked again once the flicker started and checked again once the display went to the bright gray. No differences.

It took nearly 1 hour for the problem to start this time. This makes sense because I'm now working on it in my basement which is about 5-7 degrees cooler than the rest of my house. My thermostat is set to 67 degrees which makes my basement roughly 61 degrees.

So I took off the metal housing w/daughter board behind it. (this is the area that was the warmest upon operation) I've included pics. The area in red was was hot enough to burn me. It kept getting hotter the longer the display was on.

The display was still functioning fine so I took a hair dryer to that specific area. Within a few minutes the display went to the bright gray. Once it did that the heat load was now on the other 2 large microprocessors.

So now the question is what is causing this? Something out of spec? Bad electronics on the daughterboard? I'm stumped!

Any suggestions?

I'm tempted to throw a drop of artic silver on it and make a homebrew heatsink.
                                    First of all, let me congratulate you on a first rate troubleshooting job. It's a pleasure to deal with someone who shows some creativity and initiative.

The heatsink might help, but would probably be a temporary solution. An IC should never run hot enough to burn. (I'm assuming you are beign factual, rather than exaggerating like I tend to do).

The AAT1164C is a triple power supply for TFT LCD displays. A datasheet is here.

Unfortunately, it appears you would have to get the parts from China. Plus there is the additional concern - is the part bad, or is something else causing it to overheat? One thing you could do is measure the output voltages and see if you can get an idea if one is drawing more current than the others. Also check for bad solder joints.

And one more request. This monitor represents a new wave in monitor electronics. The panel electronics and the monitor controller (logic card) have been combined into one card. I'd like to see an overall shot of the entire back of the monitor showing all of the boards.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                                      First of all, let me congratulate you on a first rate troubleshooting job. It's a pleasure to deal with someone who shows some creativity and initiative.

The heatsink might help, but would probably be a temporary solution. An IC should never run hot enough to burn. (I'm assuming you are beign factual, rather than exaggerating like I tend to do).

The AAT1164C is a triple power supply for TFT LCD displays. A datasheet is here.

Unfortunately, it appears you would have to get the parts from China. Plus there is the additional concern - is the part bad, or is something else causing it to overheat? One thing you could do is measure the output voltages and see if you can get an idea if one is drawing more current than the others. Also check for bad solder joints.

And one more request. This monitor represents a new wave in monitor electronics. The panel electronics and the monitor controller (logic card) have been combined into one card. I'd like to see an overall shot of the entire back of the monitor showing all of the boards.

PlainBill
                                      Thank you. I try. It's a pleasure work with people who like to help others. Great Site!

Also I appreciate you looking up the IC for me. I agree that the part could be bad or something else causing it to heat up. Do I check the output of that little guy? Better yet, how do I check the output on it.

I'm going to look over all the solder joints again also. In the meantime here are some pics. Please let me know if you need more or better close-ups.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Could be either L1 or the D16 (the diode next to the inductor L1) could be partially bad.

Try ultra high speed 1A 200V to 400V diode in place of this old D16 if I read it correctly.

Check all resistors around this IC are in specs.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Working...
                                        X