Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MIG-130 feed motor PCB GI-PCB-H59-A0 repair (old: Help me with capacitor replacement)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MIG-130 feed motor PCB GI-PCB-H59-A0 repair (old: Help me with capacitor replacem

Nice work!
    I changed the thread title to make it more visible for Google searches...
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Re: MIG-130 feed motor PCB GI-PCB-H59-A0 repair (old: Help me with capacitor replacem

I noticed search engine's web crawlers are picking up the site, which is good for the tech and repairs.
      It's just a few minutes to figure what the feed motor board is doing and draw up a schematic. I couldn't see all parts/traces but got enough.
      A few boards burn up parts and welder-types not sure what the problem is to fix it. But defo need to add some transient protection, or spend more money on a better MIG welder.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
        Nice work!
        I changed the thread title to make it more visible for Google searches...
        very good idea thank you

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
          I noticed search engine's web crawlers are picking up the site, which is good for the tech and repairs.
          It's just a few minutes to figure what the feed motor board is doing and draw up a schematic. I couldn't see all parts/traces but got enough.
          A few boards burn up parts and welder-types not sure what the problem is to fix it. But defo need to add some transient protection, or spend more money on a better MIG welder.
          This is an issue with some very well known brands the feed motor circuit fry’s some portion of the circuit board for some reason I have repaired a couple of them that this type of failure but never figured out exactly what the issue was
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply
          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

It should be repairable but be careful when removing the carbon from the board on both sides not to remove to much of the board material so you have something to work with and trying not to remove any of soldering traces if possible because the more of this you remove the harder it going to be to repair this board

I done this type of repair many times before in the past and had very good results but you have to have patience and can not be in a hurry to get the job done quickly because it will not be done correctly

Please let us know if you were able to get it back up and running again
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-26-2022, 10:32 PM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

So, that board is just to control the feed motor, controlled by the switch on the handle. I had the same issue and I simply replaced the board with a few things.

1 - a 12VDC / 2 amp power supply. I had plenty laying around. I had to modify the power line to ensure the that was powered from the AC.

2 - I replaced the speed potentiometer with a PWM 12VDC / 10 amp self-contained controller (https://www.amazon.com/mxuteuk-Contr...s_id=306530011)

3 - I opened and cut the trace in said controller between the on/off switch and the power to the 555 timer. There is a small trace there, but this is where I decided to solder the trigger switch.

This is involved, but that cost me a total of an hour of assembly and about $20.00 of parts). I had most of those, but there are some 12VDC PWM controllers with an on/off button available. The feed is super quiet and the PWM does a much better job of controlling the speed. No loss of power, so no large resistor and high current to waste and burn that board.

Comment

Good work on coming up with a solution for this issue let hope that it can survive the harsh environment

One issue that can cause this is that the trigger switch wires could break and short to the high tension welding wire and burn up the speed controller board

One solution is to use a flat two wire cable and wire it directly from the trigger switch to the speed controller board on the high tension welding wire as your support for switch wires
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-01-2023, 12:18 PM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                X