X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Susceptible disc tray on Yamaha BD-S673

Dear all,
    First message on this nice forum!

I have been troubleshooting my blu-ray player Yamaha BD-S673. Despite its age (I bought it in 2013), it still works EXCEPT the disc tray is behaving. Over time, it was more and more refusing to open, until it just did not open anymore. I opened it, cleaned it (a hair, some dust) and it seemed to work again, but only for a couple of days.

It seems it works without the disk tray plastic cover. However, I am pretty sure it would not be prudent to run it with a disk without that cover. The plastic cover contains a relatively heavy part, what looks like a magnet, which I believe is involved in the rotation / stabilization of the disc.

I have the impression that the plastic cover is pressing a bit too much, in particular close to the opening. I was considering cutting a bit of the plastic at the front, see if it helps... but I thought maybe somebody has a better idea?
    Attached Files

Re: Susceptible disc tray on Yamaha BD-S673

Need to change the rubber band
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/284696026032...YAAOSwXjZix9T9

Comment

Hey, thanks a lot, I will try,
      one question though: what about the role of this magnet on top of the tray? Without it, and even with the rest of the cover on, it seems to work repeatidly. As soon as I place back the little magnet, it seems the reading mechanism does not lower fully, which may explain why the tray is not extended. Although it does still work sometimes.
      Could this still be explained by a weak rubber band then?

Comment

Over time, the rubber belt stretched and lost elasticity, and the motor shaft slipped.

Comment

Originally posted by Antoninov View Post
          Hey, thanks a lot, I will try,
          one question though: what about the role of this magnet on top of the tray? Without it, and even with the rest of the cover on, it seems to work repeatidly. As soon as I place back the little magnet, it seems the reading mechanism does not lower fully, which may explain why the tray is not extended. Although it does still work sometimes.
          Could this still be explained by a weak rubber band then?
          The rubber drive belt can also get deformed and basically formed to its position around the two pulleys, if this is the case it can slip and not open the tray. with the magnetic clamper removed there is less resistance to overcome so it might open.
          If you remove the belt, it should be round and not look like it is still around the drive pulleys. You can try cleaning the belt but it likely needs replacing
          Last edited by R_J; 10-01-2022, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks. it makes sense. I ordered the band as pointed also by Iotas above.
            In the meantime, it works again, but probably only until the band gets again in a too comfortable position.
            I do hope this will solve the issue. I would be really annoyed if this 9 years old unit would not work anymore. Also, Yamaha stopped doing any blu-ray player...

Comment

Working...
            X