Shuttle G2 and M1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shuttle G2 and M1000

Hi! I've been a customer of badcaps.net in the past - he repaired and ARQ-1 MP3 player for me that's been going good now for years. Anyway, I also have a collection of Shuttle machines - 3 X100's, an M2000, an old SB65G2 and an M1000.

The last 2 are broke. The G2 has a bad power supply again. I pulled the cover off and there are 2 bulging caps so I ordered another but plan on repairing this one as well.

The M1000 has several bulging caps on the motherboard, I'll eventually pull the system board out and send it here.

I like the G2, M1000 and M2000 because they are designed for multi-media and hi-fi systems - they put out very little RF interference. The G2 is especially nice and has an mAudio PCI audio card. That thing is quiet and doesn't have any noise at all. The x100's on the other hand do not have those qualities.

After looking around the website, I'm surprised that the bad caps problem is still going on - sure the older electronics have these problems, but new electronics are still plagued by this!?

--Dan

Re: Shuttle G2 and M1000

Originally posted by Datapanic View Post
    Hi! I've been a customer of badcaps.net in the past - he repaired and ARQ-1 MP3 player for me that's been going good now for years. Anyway, I also have a collection of Shuttle machines - 3 X100's, an M2000, an old SB65G2 and an M1000.

The last 2 are broke. The G2 has a bad power supply again. I pulled the cover off and there are 2 bulging caps so I ordered another but plan on repairing this one as well.

The M1000 has several bulging caps on the motherboard, I'll eventually pull the system board out and send it here.

I like the G2, M1000 and M2000 because they are designed for multi-media and hi-fi systems - they put out very little RF interference. The G2 is especially nice and has an mAudio PCI audio card. That thing is quiet and doesn't have any noise at all. The x100's on the other hand do not have those qualities.

After looking around the website, I'm surprised that the bad caps problem is still going on - sure the older electronics have these problems, but new electronics are still plagued by this!?

--Dan
    Depending on the brands of the capacitors, yes, they still can be plagued by this (crappy caps will always show up here and there). So, what brands are they? Pictures?
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
      Depending on the brands of the capacitors, yes, they still can be plagued by this (crappy caps will always show up here and there). So, what brands are they? Pictures?
      The bad caps in the G2 Power Supply are OST brand 2200uf 16v +/- 20% 10mmx24mm with RLS/105C/0802 on the side - I think the 0802 means manufactured February 2008. Gold lettering. I ordered Rubycon replacements for these and can replace them myself. The G2 system board has all OST caps from 2003, when I bought it. Surprisingly, they all look good and this thing has been running almost constantly since I bought it.

For the M1000 which was made in 2005, the system board caps are all OST brand and I see at least 3 that have puffed out on top. The internal power supply for this one is not modular and has exposed components with Rubycon caps. I only ran the M1000 for 3 years before it crapped out. Later bought the M2000 so it sat on the shelf, but I think it's worth it to get it working again.

Comment

you're more likely to find OST's in power supplies these days, esp shuttle

I believe the G2 uses a flex atx PSU, though don't quote me on it, they do look alike
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Well the good news is I got the G2 running again. I swapped out the 2 obviously bad caps in the power supply and got the same results - the computer would power up for 1/2 sec and that was it. There's something else wrong with it. But! I also ordered a new power supply for $48 that arrived today as well. It works well. I'll save the old power supply for some other time.

Now to pull the M1000 system board and send it in for a recap and all my Shuttles will be working again.

Comment

Originally posted by Datapanic View Post
            Well the good news is I got the G2 running again. I swapped out the 2 obviously bad caps in the power supply and got the same results - the computer would power up for 1/2 sec and that was it. There's something else wrong with it. But! I also ordered a new power supply for $48 that arrived today as well. It works well. I'll save the old power supply for some other time.

Now to pull the M1000 system board and send it in for a recap and all my Shuttles will be working again.
            Uh, about the power supply ... the new one works fine? Trash the old one since it didn't work...
            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
            X