Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Has anyone had issues with Rayovac Alkaline batteries leaking

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    Heck, the first one that opened here was right next to a Wallmart. Just imagine the nerve to do that.
    While we are on the subject of off topic: look at this picture, setting up a sign infront of the other stores sign.
    Yea I can imagine that not ending well if they start trying to once over each other lol!
    On the topic: Biltema branded batteries that I've used in the past have fared ok.

Source: https://www.google.com/maps/@59.2016...7i16384!8i8192
    Attached Files
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Ive been seeing a lot of leaky duracell's lately. I was given some TV's and a box full of remotes... quite a few leaky duracells...
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

I like others have had more duracell leakers then any other brand, also a couple of kirkland and enegizers. I bought lots of harbor frieght alkalines the orange ones and they expired in 2020 and still no leaks and powering devices, also tried harbor frights blue alkalines to good results and rechargeable units. However I did buy some eneloops and they are the best by far.
        My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

I had a red HFT alkaline PP3 that actually *exploded* leaving bits of the cell nearby...

Speaking of batteries, I have a bench DMM that uses 6xC (UM2) batteries, I wonder what's the best retrofit... Think I could probably do 2xLi-ion and no converter needed, just need to figure out how to charge from the AC adapter...
          Last edited by eccerr0r; 10-10-2021, 04:50 PM.

Comment

So thanks for the tip, I'll check out their alkaline batts if I need any (probably some 9V soon for a few smoke detectors - there is always at least one that starts beeping on me right around fall-winter time when the temperatures start dropping.)
            And I called it out right!

Just as I was taking a shit today, one of the smoke detectors stated going off beeping once a minute to indicate it's got a low battery. Fortunately, I was just about done with the biz when that rolled. Otherwise, I hate loud noises breaking my concentration while on the toilet!

So I go out and start listening for which one of those bastards is beeping. I find the alarm and take it down (not in a rogue way, though. ) Open it and see it's got an Energizer alkaline with an expiry date of late 2020. Since we are close to the end of 2021, I can't say it did bad. And in any case, at least it wasn't bulged, unlike the Duracell 9V always seem to do. But IIRC, this Energizer was from the "newest" / last batch of my 9V batteries... meaning I must have put it in that detector probably no later than 2018 or 2019. I guess 2 years is OK, considering this detector doesn't use an external power source. Then again, I know I've found ancient Zn-C batteries in a few of these in the previous years. So a low self-discharge battery might be a better fit overall.

What's funny is that just last week as I was cleaning a bit in the closet, I found the last of the Energizer alkalines with that 2020 expiry date, and it hadn't leaked or bulged. Rather than keeping in on the shelf and taking a chance with it going bad without ever getting used, I decided to put it in my primary (Radio Shack) multimeter that's been complaining about a low battery for almost a year now. So I put this last Energizer in it... until today - had to open it again and steal its new battery, so I could get the smoke detector sorted out. A bit of Murphy's law there, I suppose.

Anyways, I compared the "used" battery from the smoke detector with the "new" one that I had just taken out of the RS multimeter. The used one measured about 7.3V with no load and dropped to 7.1V with a 19 mA load (Harbor Freight Tools red multimeter battery test load feature.) The "new" 9V was at 8.45V and dropped down to about 8.3V with the same load from the HFT meter. So let's see how long it's going to last. Seems to me that this detector is a bit picky - I mean 7.xV for a 9V battery, loaded, is not too bad IMO. The one I took out of the RS meter was around 5V and dropped to 4.x with same load. So at least I should get some good useful life on the multimeter out of that "used" 9V from the detector.

Originally posted by lti View Post
            I do that too, except I have a huge pile now.
            I'll take a few, lol.
            My stash of working 9V batteries is always low to non-existent.
            Then again, I don't go changing the batteries in my smoke detectors every month or whatever ridiculously short time some homeowners mags suggest - that's just wasteful, IMO. I change them when they start beeping, instead, and right away. Ticks me off when they start beeping. On that note, I don't understand how some people can actually ignore them and not get bothered, even in their bedrooms where they sleep (had a friend from high school like that.)

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
            While we are on the subject of off topic: look at this picture, setting up a sign infront of the other stores sign.
            Yea I can imagine that not ending well if they start trying to once over each other lol!
            LOL! That's so funny.
            They could have easily put that ad board under the other and still be properly visible, but no. I guess we can say the two store managers there aren't the best of friends.

Anyways, before I go further off-topic anymore... I might go to Lidl either tomorrow or on the weekend to see if they have some groceries I need... and while at it, I'll check what kind of batteries they have, at least here in the US stores.

Comment

arent you supposed to use lithium in smoke detectors?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                arent you supposed to use lithium in smoke detectors?

PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

in europe they have stickers saying to use a lithium pp3,
                  the latest models are sealed with a 10year life, then you throw it away (or mod it!)

i use these:
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by stj; 10-15-2021, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Seems to me that this detector is a bit picky - I mean 7.xV for a 9V battery, loaded, is not too bad IMO.
                    The batteries I pull out of my smoke detectors measure around 8.9V with no load. Under load, they seem to vary a lot. I think they're extremely lightly loaded in the smoke detector.

I'll take a few, lol.
                    My stash of working 9V batteries is always low to non-existent.
                    Then again, I don't go changing the batteries in my smoke detectors every month or whatever ridiculously short time some homeowners mags suggest - that's just wasteful, IMO. I change them when they start beeping, instead, and right away.
                    Most of mine are years past the use-by date. When I try to use them, I find that a bunch have died. Some of the "good" ones will suddenly drop down from around 8.5V to 4.5V with no load.

I usually change every smoke detector battery as soon as one starts making the low battery beep. I was always told that you're supposed to change them every six months.

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    the latest models are sealed with a 10year life, then you throw it away (or mod it!)
                    Some of them have a tiny amount of radioactive material in them, so it's recommended to replace them after 10 years anyway.

Comment

Yes typically you could use a lithium thionyl chloride or lithium iron sulfide primary cell as they have much higher specific energy (but not specific power) so you never need to change them.

TBH the optimal solution is replace them when they beep. Just that if you replace it before it beeps, it's less likely you'll wait until after the beeping stops and totally forget about it...

Comment

or use mains-powered ones

Comment

And they just go bad and you would not even know it the ones that just have main power because I have them and every one of need to be replaced because they never report that the battery are dead leaking or otherwise

Yea I know what good are they if they do not work but they are expensive to replace all of them at one time so you have all the same exact model number
                          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-16-2021, 07:18 AM.
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply
                          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

mine report the battery status just fine.

Comment

For smoke alarms, I couldn't find stock with AC mains-only power. Had a Kidde i2020CA (120VAC only) end-of-life and it was starting to make chirps with mains spikes (or spiders), looking to change out the electrolytics the capacitive divider looked burnt so into the garbage it went.

So I went to buy a replacement and all smoke detectors in the stores are "dual power" AC mains plus battery. Either a 9V battery or 10-year lithium battery powered.

A 9V alkaline battery is $3/year and the beeping hassle because the battery gets drained during self-test, that's why they don't last even doing nothing.
                              So $30 operating costs over 10 year life. A mains+lithium powered unit is around extra $20 but they don't seem to last. Note there are massive recalls on many Kidde Smoke Alarms and smoke+CO alarms, millions of units. The lithium batteries go dead before 10 years on some smoke+CO models. They recently had $12M civil penalty for crappy fire extinguishers that did not work, plastic handles jammed, broke nozzle clogged.

I'm now using Panasonic alkaline batteries from Digi-Key and no problems.
                              Duracell batteries leak and are absolute garbage for many years now. Ray-o-vac... "Spectrum Brands sold its battery division to long-time Rayovac competitor Energizer in January 2018" so I have no idea what quality they are now.

Comment

The mains powered smoke alarms I have check their batteries, had to replace them several times now after incessantly beeping...

... and I think they do stop beeping if I simply remove the batteries, though beeping with a weak battery can last months, driving anyone to do something, anything...

Comment

Well I guess I going to have to file a formal complaint about this issue with the batteries leaking issue because I am being stoned walled about what type of pictures that they want and I am over this crap

And if you think that I pissed with this shit I am very pissed with this has been going on for over a month now going back forth with what pictures that they want
                                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-23-2021, 04:24 PM.
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Update

I have filled a compartment with the BBB about this issue and going to see what happens next with this issue request with the company in question
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                      I've heard that the Energizer lithium batteries are better, but I have seen them leak. The leaking ones were past the use-by date, so that could probably be excused.
                                      I like the Energizer lithium AA batteries. I don't know if anything can beat them in portable audio players. For non-rechargeables, they look like the go-tos!

I probably would recommend them, for people who didn't get Ni-MH or Li-ion AAs for a ton of things, including wireless game controllers.
                                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I gave up on any kind of alkaline batteries after yet another piece of equipment was ruined, and I'd buy energizer or duracell only, no off brands. Eneloops don't have much battery life to them, but I haven't had a single one leak yet. Their claim that they don't self-discharge, IMHO, is a bit overstated. Unless they are fresh off the charger, they are half flat. Maybe I got some fakes, but I don't think I did.

Comment

Update on there response

Thank you for your patience.

With reference to your previous communication, after careful review of your case we regret to inform you that we are unable to verify your claim due to mixing the batteries with different expiration dates in the two devices; fluke meter & cable box remote. Mixing different expiration dates will affect the performance of the batteries and could result in leakage. As for the third device the soap dispenser, since the batteries & the device were disposed and the pictures of the batteries in the compartment that caused the leakage shown in the email dated ******were replaced by different once upon requesting further pictures to verify the batteries' information - last picture provided on ******* show different expiration dates - and hence the documentation are not correctly provided. Therefore the claim has been declined.

Appreciating your understanding.

Sincerely,

Rayovac Consumer Services

I have explained to them that I had bought several packs of there batteries with different expiration date this is more stone walling and just a way to get out of doing anything

Here is there story if you have a device that is damaged by there batteries they want you to keep the device until they decided that they have played enough with you but in the mean time you keep having more and more damage from leaking batteries really this nothing but pure crap and completely nonsense
                                          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-27-2021, 10:56 AM.
                                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                          1 Dell Mother Board
                                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                          X