Honda CX500 Motorcycle CDI ignition unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Honda CX500 Motorcycle CDI ignition unit

Hi everyone, I apologise for my silence recently but my multiple sclerosis has had be practically confined to a bed in agony. I am still hoping the docs find something pain killer wise that will allow me to resume my life swing as they say problem in incurable.
    I am ever so grateful for terrific interest you put into helping me sort this CDI problem out.
    Redwire if you are still interested in trying to design a alternative unit for it I would be eternally grateful. I will try and resume where I left off and continue checking the real values of components on the original PCB with the schematic to ensure its all correct before making something that might not be 100% accurate.
    Sorry again for the problems here delaying me.

Comment

did you try cbd/weed? it seems to help such things.

Comment

Just an update, I've been slow because of weeks of heatwave here I couldn't be on the computer at night with sweat dripping off my head. Most of the PCB layout is done. I have all the component values. Not sure if a person can buy the connectors, somebody seems to sell them.

Using the original Honda CDI box, you need to put parts on end and then potting compound or else the vibration would just wreck it. There's no PCB mounting holes either.
        So I went with the Hammond 1554C/Bud waterproof enclosure, it's all I can find.

I had to order some parts because the semiconductor shortage has cleaned out stock of SCR's, most are out of stock for 6 months now. It's really unstable. I want to use TN1215 main SCR's and D2PAK. Even thermistors 27 week lead time.

I learned the pulse capacitors 2.2uF 400V polypropylene really suck in small sizes. Say 20mm wide parts are for EMI filtering and "designed for DC applications that do not require a significant amount of pulse current " I had some china CBB22 and they are just low quality and very cheap, and I thought they might not last. Panasonic ECW-F high-pulse current is best but huge 28mm and hard to stuff in the box but I am going with them. I would rather spend $10 extra using top quality automotive-rated AEC-Q100 parts as much as possible to avoid a breakdown, compared to Finnbox later using some low cost aliexpress caps.
        I'll let you know when the boards are finished.

Most everyone I know is taking CBD oil for pain (and inflammation) and having really good success. Not the THC blends though, just high CBD % medical so you can have a clear mind and still be alert. Pain from joints, arthritis, traumatic brain injury. CBD seems to be much better than pharmaceuticals for side effects.
        One friend even gives it to her dog now, older German Shepherd that is way more active, it must have some pain somewhere because it cheered up a lot.

edit: R17 is for the rev limiter and is 1k on all pics and documents that I can see. 22R would inactivate it I think. R27 are the two off-board CAL resistors,
        Last edited by redwire; 08-21-2021, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the bit about CBD oil being helpful for arthritis, gotta pass the news to my mother then... I prefer the getting high kind on the rare occasions that I choose to smoke nowadays, but CBD shops have popped up everywhere in my city this year
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            did you try cbd/weed? it seems to help such things.
            Yes STJ ive tried everything but this latest pain is literally a pain in the arse. Its spasms in my pelvic floor muscles that sting and burn and feels like a sharp knife cutting up inside your bum. Eye-watering! believe me. I am told there is no cure and I will just have to manage the pain with pain killers but they don't like giving me enough to keep it tolerable and I end up having to lay on bed (cant sit down). Mnd you if I got stoned I wouldn't care I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrash View Post
              Yes STJ ive tried everything but this latest pain is literally a pain in the arse. Mnd you if I got stoned I wouldn't care I suppose.
              "For some reason when I'm high and drunk I don't feel the pain that much" - Lil Wyte

Medical herb could be an option for you, at least it's worth a shot. It's much safer than opioid painkillers.
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                Just an update, I've been slow because of weeks of heatwave here I couldn't be on the computer at night with sweat dripping off my head. Most of the PCB layout is done. I have all the component values. Not sure if a person can buy the connectors, somebody seems to sell them.

Using the original Honda CDI box, you need to put parts on end and then potting compound or else the vibration would just wreck it. There's no PCB mounting holes either.
                So I went with the Hammond 1554C/Bud waterproof enclosure, it's all I can find.

I had to order some parts because the semiconductor shortage has cleaned out stock of SCR's, most are out of stock for 6 months now. It's really unstable. I want to use TN1215 main SCR's and D2PAK. Even thermistors 27 week lead time.

I learned the pulse capacitors 2.2uF 400V polypropylene really suck in small sizes. Say 20mm wide parts are for EMI filtering and "designed for DC applications that do not require a significant amount of pulse current " I had some china CBB22 and they are just low quality and very cheap, and I thought they might not last. Panasonic ECW-F high-pulse current is best but huge 28mm and hard to stuff in the box but I am going with them. I would rather spend $10 extra using top quality automotive-rated AEC-Q100 parts as much as possible to avoid a breakdown, compared to Finnbox later using some low cost aliexpress caps.
                I'll let you know when the boards are finished.

Most everyone I know is taking CBD oil for pain (and inflammation) and having really good success. Not the THC blends though, just high CBD % medical so you can have a clear mind and still be alert. Pain from joints, arthritis, traumatic brain injury. CBD seems to be much better than pharmaceuticals for side effects.
                One friend even gives it to her dog now, older German Shepherd that is way more active, it must have some pain somewhere because it cheered up a lot.

edit: R17 is for the rev limiter and is 1k on all pics and documents that I can see. 22R would inactivate it I think. R27 are the two off-board CAL resistors,
                That's remarkable what you have done Redwire. think you are probable right about the enclosure when you need extra space for those better caps.
                There is still another option that I can always relocate the CDI box elsewhere where there is more room if it wont fit in original location.
                Here are some photos of the connectors and a list of what they are and where they go. Ive listed them in the same order as the schematic to make it easier.
                ===============
                2 way female spade
                ================
                blue
                white
                ================
                8 way female spade.
                ================
                blue
                white
                green
                orange/white (left tdc)
                orange/red (left tdc rtd)
                orange (left adv)
                lt-blue/white (right tdc)
                light-blue/red (right tdc rtd)
                light-blue (right adv)
                =====================
                3X female bullet connectors
                =====================
                black/white (on/off)
                yellow left coil
                peach (right coil)

Off subject: I haven't tries the CBD oil so maybe that's worth a try...
                Attached Files

Comment

It's definitely worth a try before you get into the heavy painkillers. Me, I have a unique nervous system that does not respond to codeine or morphine - they get me high but it still hurts. Maybe it's for the better, but that gives a unique set of problems where I have to seek the exact medication that will numb the pain at its source, and let me tell you it wasn't easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                    It's definitely worth a try before you get into the heavy painkillers. Me, I have a unique nervous system that does not respond to codeine or morphine - they get me high but it still hurts. Maybe it's for the better, but that gives a unique set of problems where I have to seek the exact medication that will numb the pain at its source, and let me tell you it wasn't easy.
                    I too have difficult circumstances having multiple sclerosis as its my entire nervous system thats been damaged. A great deal of the pain is from my nerves making things feel like they are aching or stinging like my hands and feet are. Then there is the muscle spasms in legs and arms and pretty much any muscle anywhere can start going into spasm. Some times I even get my jaw getting huge cramp which hurts. They have tried everything on me drug and painkiller wise and things like morphine don't work because its nerve pain. Tramadols are the only things that work for me but they are rationing me to a amount that count last me long enough.

Comment

btw,
                      have you tried high dose vitamine C?
                      like 5grams a day or twice a day?

the body uses it for repairs - if you have enough it can do magic - take too much and you just get a trip to the toilet.
                      you cant overdose on it.

Comment

It's interesting that morphine doesn't work but tramadols do... Anyway, there's an ancient medication initially used for depression and stuff, which has made a comeback in treatment of nerve pain. It's called Amitriptyline (brand name Elavil) and it's what made me function again.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                          It's interesting that morphine doesn't work but tramadols do... Anyway, there's an ancient medication initially used for depression and stuff, which has made a comeback in treatment of nerve pain. It's called Amitriptyline (brand name Elavil) and it's what made me function again.
                          ive tried all these things like amitriptyline, gabapentin, pregabalin and a few others. It is strange how Tramadol is so effective but its not just me as there are lots of evidence to back up its effectiveness. Its also got very few side effects especially compared to all the others and no one should try gabapentin as it made me put on 35 pounds weight and looked all bloated and puffed up.
                          All the weight eventually came back off once i stopped taking it.
                          just been told I cant get a operation to hopefully cure it until November so looks like I will be bed bound until then now.
                          So Redwire thanks for all you have been doing on this CDI box for me but doesn't look like I will be using the bike for a while now. Still very grateful for your efforts and hope the offer of making me one is still available once I can ride it again in a few months.

Comment

Still plundering away, I'll post when I get it finished. The semi shortage had SCR's going out of stock until February, then some came in stock, it's been nutty. Digi-Key still has nothing for stock, Mouser had 25 then none then I changed to D2PAK then 730 came in early.
                            I tried to source the Japanese connectors but no luck under motorcycle kind of pricing $50 so I guess it's flying leads and recycle the old connector or something, like a splice.

Hope your health gets better and you find a medicine that is reasonable with the side effects. Reddit has support and to see what other people find works for them but you probably know that.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                              Still plundering away, I'll post when I get it finished. The semi shortage had SCR's going out of stock until February, then some came in stock, it's been nutty. Digi-Key still has nothing for stock, Mouser had 25 then none then I changed to D2PAK then 730 came in early.
                              I tried to source the Japanese connectors but no luck under motorcycle kind of pricing $50 so I guess it's flying leads and recycle the old connector or something, like a splice.

Hope your health gets better and you find a medicine that is reasonable with the side effects. Reddit has support and to see what other people find works for them but you probably know that.
                              Thanks Redwire that's great and yes my health has improved but not a lot of thanks to my GP doctors who were partially responsible for making me so unwell. By filling me with so many different pills every day that they were actually making my Tramadol pain killers less effective. Found this out after a really bad day when I threw up big time emptying all tablets that day from my stomach. Next day woke really better than in long time, So stopped all tablets just now except pain killers and every day getting better and better,
                              Been out riding the old Honda CX500 Honda and its been running nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X