Capacitor values in boardview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capacitor values in boardview

I am trying to determine the value of a blown capacitor, and the boadview shows the values for many of the capacitors and other components on this board, but all of the information blank on others.

Is there any relevance to the fact that some of these values are left out, or is it just inconsistency by whoever created the boardviews?

Is there any way to deteremine if one without infrormation matches one that shows those details?

Re: Capacitor values in boardview

Originally posted by mrkmpn View Post
    I am trying to determine the value of a blown capacitor, and the boadview shows the values for many of the capacitors and other components on this board, but all of the information blank on others.

Is there any relevance to the fact that some of these values are left out, or is it just inconsistency by whoever created the boardviews?

Is there any way to deteremine if one without infrormation matches one that shows those details?
    Whats the boardview filename, PCB you`re working on from what make/model,and the name of the boardview software and version
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Boardview filename:
      "Asus FX63V DABKLMB28A0 FX503VD Rev 2.2 60NR0GN0-MB3020 BoardView.fz"

MOBO Board number"
      DABKLMB28A0 Rev: A

Asus part number:
      60NB0GQ0-MB1140

Make Model of laptop:
      Asus GL503VD-EB72

Boardview software:
      Openboardview v8.0

It shows, for example the values and package size for C99, but not for AC99 (which is the one I need)

**EDIT**
      I realize the boardview isn't identical to the mobo I am working on, but it's very similar, and the only one I;ve been able to find so far,.
      Last edited by mrkmpn; 05-25-2022, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Have you noticed that only one side of this board has no values listed? It's possible that the boardview doesn't have these values, or it could be the way openboardview interprets the FZ file format. I note that the new version of Openboardview 9.0.2 refuses to open this file.

Anyway, rule of thumb here is that it's a decoupling cap across a rail, so fit accordingly. Seems to be a 0604 size, so anything from 2.2uf to 10uf would suffice. Voltage rating should exceed that of the rail it is decoupling of course - if you have 12V on that rail, then cap should be at least 16 to 25V. These smaller caps aren't polarised usually, but + side of any polarised cap to the Vcc side.

Comment

Originally posted by reformatt View Post
          Have you noticed that only one side of this board has no values listed? It's possible that the boardview doesn't have these values, or it could be the way openboardview interprets the FZ file format. I note that the new version of Openboardview 9.0.2 refuses to open this file.

Anyway, rule of thumb here is that it's a decoupling cap across a rail, so fit accordingly. Seems to be a 0604 size, so anything from 2.2uf to 10uf would suffice. Voltage rating should exceed that of the rail it is decoupling of course - if you have 12V on that rail, then cap should be at least 16 to 25V. These smaller caps aren't polarised usually, but + side of any polarised cap to the Vcc side.
          No, there may be a pattern to what's 'valued' and what isn't, but it almost seems arbitrary. There are caps nearby that have values, but from what I can tell it seems nothing on 'PVCC_HV' has values. And a couple of caps I checked on the other side have values as well.

I also tried opening it up in Boardviewer 1.2, since I already had that downloaded, and it shows the same results.

Thanks for the pointers on replacements. Is it possible the fact that a specific value isn't required might be the reason they aren't labeled?

Comment

Usually in FZ boardview files if some components have part number information and others don't, the ones without part number information are no stuff.
            In this case the TAS5766 speaker amplifier circuit is no stuff in this boardview. Looking at pictures of this motherboard, some variants of this board have this circuit populated, others don't and instead speaker connector is connected directly to audio codec.

Anyway if this circuit is populated on your board, AC99 would be a general purpose decoupling capacitor, since voltage comes from the main power rail it must be rated at least 25V, and it looks like it is in an 0603 package, so possibly 10uF.

Originally posted by reformatt View Post
            I note that the new version of Openboardview 9.0.2 refuses to open this file.
            Make sure the FZ key is probably entered in the configuration.
            OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
              Usually in FZ boardview files if some components have part number information and others don't, the ones without part number information are no stuff.
              In this case the TAS5766 speaker amplifier circuit is no stuff in this boardview. Looking at pictures of this motherboard, some variants of this board have this circuit populated, others don't and instead speaker connector is connected directly to audio codec.

Anyway if this circuit is populated on your board, AC99 would be a general purpose decoupling capacitor, since voltage comes from the main power rail it must be rated at least 25V, and it looks like it is in an 0603 package, so possibly 10uF.

Make sure the FZ key is probably entered in the configuration.
              Thank you! That makes prefect sense, as this boardview is for a diffrent model than the one I'm working on. And it is an 0603, so this was a great help.

I wish it was an 0805... I actually have a strip of those already.

Comment

Working...
              X