Powerware 9120 Online UPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powerware 9120 Online UPS

This is another freebie I found recently. It came with 2 12V 9AH batteries that are not completely dead. It seems they still have ~1/3 of their initial capacity.

The UPS works, but displays “DC bus fault” the first time it starts. I looked around and it is probably cap related:
    http://oh2mp.ham.fi/misc/powerware9120/english.html
    http://www.fixya.com/support/t133894..._fault_problem

I tested every capacitor on it and only the C14 = 100 uF 63V Jamicon TK is bad (capacity: 103uF, esr: 28).

1) Do I need to change the other cap mentioned in the links?
    It is a Chemicon SME 2200 uF 16V with capacity: 2400uF and esr: 0.04-0.06, tested on circuit (datasheet)
    Is Chemicon SME a reliable series?

2) Can I replace the Jamicon TK 100 uF 63V with Rubycon YXF 100uF 63V?
    Attached Files

Re: Powerware 9120 Online UPS

Nippon Chemi-Con SME appears to be a reliable series, and has been superseded by SMG or SMQ.
    You can replace the Jamicon TK with Rubycon YXF.
    Check for shorts on the DC bus as well from C40 and C42 (after discharging them), including checking for shorts on Q11 and Q12 on the power board.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

I replaced the bad 100uF 63V Jamicon TK with Rubycon YXF 100uF 63V and now the UPS works... I'll test it more thoroughly tomorrow.

Btw it has a very useful feature. It can display the Watts and VAs of the devices that are connected to it realtime.

How accurate can I except it to be? Does it mean that I can calculate the power factor by dividing Watts with VAs?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by goodpsusearch; 04-03-2011, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
        Btw it has a very useful feature. It can display the Watts and VAs of the devices that are connected to it realtime.

How accurate can I except it to be? Does it mean that I can calculate the power factor by dividing Watts with VAs?
        I guess so, and how the UPS calculates Watts and VA should be fairly accurate.
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

can help
          My board is a model 098-12101-04 PSDR-1112NN P.W
          P / N :12101-09p-638 (e1)
          I appeared on the display DC BUS Fault

Comment

Seems that this usually means shorted transistors and/or dried caps near heatsink. Do you have digital multimeter? Any other equipment?
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
              Seems that this usually means shorted transistors and/or dried caps near heatsink. Do you have digital multimeter? Any other equipment?
              Can you write in more detail which transistors, and where they are on the plate ...

Comment

If you provide good enough pictures If it is more or less the same as in the first post, than that would also be capacitor C14, it's the 63V/100uF cap. Check all those transistors attached to the big heatsink in there, if you have DMM, that's a minute to check them all.
                Last edited by Behemot; 11-29-2012, 10:41 AM.
                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

I have the 3000VA version of this. It works nicely, except it starts to make annoying squealing noise after about 5 mins of running. BUT only when connected to mains, and even if batteries are full.

However, in battery mode, this squealing doesn't happen, even after long time.

Any clues what can cause this, and is it fixable?

Comment

Originally posted by Jooo View Post
                    I have the 3000VA version of this. It works nicely, except it starts to make annoying squealing noise after about 5 mins of running. BUT only when connected to mains, and even if batteries are full.

However, in battery mode, this squealing doesn't happen, even after long time.

Any clues what can cause this, and is it fixable?
                    You should check every capacitor in it (please be careful, some of them retain their charge for hours) starting from those 2: http://oh2mp.ham.fi/misc/powerware9120/english.html

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                      If you provide good enough pictures If it is more or less the same as in the first post, than that would also be capacitor C14, it's the 63V/100uF cap. Check all those transistors attached to the big heatsink in there, if you have DMM, that's a minute to check them all.

where it would be located capacitor C14, it's the cap 63V/100uF

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by biserko View Post

where it would be located capacitor C14, it's the cap 63V/100uF

thanks

Comment

Comment

Hmm, seems like different design. OK, let's start. You have photos so you know where every cable belongs. So, disconnect everything and remove the main board.

I would personally begin with the section between blue and red wire, there is some silicone with only small heatsink and some even without any. Check it. What are the small capacitors in there? They may be baked, I can imagine some heat is being produced arround those components.

Comment

We replaced the components that you have said, but the problem is what are the other of components very very hot, you can not keep your finger on how many of them are hot ...

Comment

Does it work now?

Well yeah, you can think about adding some bigger heatsinks or doing some ghetto mods like resistor fly mod and so. If it is worth it…

Comment

I have blown one IRF3710, near 2 caps mentioned before, and glass fuse on board (5A).
                                  Replaced IRF and fuse but it blows fuse again. On LCD is "DC Bus Fault".
                                  Any idea what next?

Comment

A blown fuse rarely happens without a cause.

Maybe look at the traces going to the IRF and follow them back checking components in the path?

If something blows the IRF, something is probably shorted or a diode is faulty. I would go from the IRF solder points/holes back and check everything.

Check diodes, check resistors, check for shorted capacitors and if you can their ESR/if they're leaky, check npn transistors (put meter on diode check, test 2 out of 3 pins in both directions as if they're diodes)

If you can, take out the board and get a good camera with macro mode and snap some focused (not blurry) pictures of both sides, maybe someone with good eyes here can spot some components that look burnt out or some broken/burnt copper traces on the pcb.

Comment

Thanx. Its 22:00 and I've just replaced rest 3 IRF's (S/D=short) but spoted on 2 IRF's on the right, traces of some kind of burns/cuts of on source pins!!!
                                      Now Ive left UPS to filll batts to full and will post results tomorrow.
                                      1st IRF was burnt so hard that pin was in the air!!! Temp. was so high that components around have black marks!
                                      Fuse (5A) is soldered to the board as, by design, it's not ready for easy replace.

Comment

No change at all - fuse keeps blowing.
                                        Replaced also 2 condensers, checked diode near IRF (first from the left, traces of burning around it).
                                        With power cable connected fan starts (as before) and I can browse thru options on LCD but when I press power - bang.
                                        Tryed to start device just on batts but some smoke came out - didnt have time to spot from where and didnt want to do it again.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by davor; 03-23-2013, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X