Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement cap advice needed for Panamax Max 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement cap advice needed for Panamax Max 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

I have a Panamax Max 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner that died a few years ago with the overvoltage light which from googling basically says it's a known problem as they use low quality caps and replacing the caps will solve the problem. It basically looks like this inside:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...ms-busted.html

The capacitors is as follows:
    2 x 50v 4.7uF RGA AE 85C 5mmx13mm indicated by red arrow(s) at C11 and C14
    1 x 35v 220uF RGA AE 85C 10mmx19mm indicated by blue arrow at C8
    1 x 25v 22uF Panasonic SU 85C 5mmx11mm indicated by green arrow at C12
    2 x 350v 10uF RGA AE 85C 10mmx25mm indicated by black arrow(s) at C9 and C18

What would be good options for replacement with long endurance as I should probably go for 105C caps?

I can see that for C11 and C14, the N/UCC KY would probably work, and for C12, perhaps the Panasonic FR 50v 22uF would work, what about for the others? Also, the resistor on the right hand side of the green arrow seems to have some cracks on the paint, how does one test the resistor with a Digital Multimeter to see if it's still good?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Almighty1; 10-03-2014, 03:27 AM.

Re: Replacement cap advice needed for Panamax Max 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditio

Did you see this tip?
    If the tip is correct then you would want to use the largest voltage 220 uF high temp cap that will fit.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t370198-panamax_1000

Comment

Re: Replacement cap advice needed for Panamax Max 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditio

Yes, that was what I saw before I even opened the thing but it doesn't say what the guy replaced it with since not sure if ESR matters or not. Not to mention, C8 seems to be the culprit so higher ripple voltage and a cap with a higher voltage than 35v is probably better but I wonder what about raising the capacitance and since this is a 120VAC Surge protector, why would it be a 35v cap that's the problem as that would be a low voltage.

Comment

Looks like if want an answer to your cap question you will need to post up at
        ‘’ General Capacitor Questions & Issues”.

Comment

Thought about that one but it seems this forum would work as well. One thing with replacing caps is that it will void the lifetime surge protection warranty like if a surge destroyed stuff, they won't cover it. The product has a lifetime warranty too and I think what they are doing is basically you pay like $35 and they will give you a new current model replacement. I don't really need the unit so I can sell the replacement.

Comment

I recently repaired a Panamax Max 1000+. After replacing all the electrolytic capacitors the unit still refused to work. Then I tested the voltage across ZD1;it was 13V. ZD1 is a 1N4748 zener diode (22V 1W). The zener was then replaced and i brought the unit back into operation. Now that voltage is 22V.

Comment

Originally posted by Almighty1 View Post
              Thought about that one but it seems this forum would work as well. One thing with replacing caps is that it will void the lifetime surge protection warranty like if a surge destroyed stuff, they won't cover it. The product has a lifetime warranty too and I think what they are doing is basically you pay like $35 and they will give you a new current model replacement. I don't really need the unit so I can sell the replacement.
              send it back and a get a free new one .. should be free unless small print and you signed it says otherwise ..

Comment

it does look like a real bad warranty to me .. it fails and destroys your equipment but is not covered because you didn't notice it was broken with warning light on .. is there a call back on these units ?

Comment

haha just noticed this a 4 year old thread

Comment

I've had a Panamax MAX1000+ power controller in my system for about 6 years. About 3 years ago it was going into overvoltage mode and it would not power up. By consulting this thread, a friend was able to address the problem and all was well.

Now a new problem has developed. Every so often, the unit will spontaneously energize the switched outlets without having been commanded, powering up the three power amplifiers plugged into the unit. Unplugging the MAX1000's main power cord from the wall for a while seems to restore proper operation for a while but the problem is getting worse. Also, shutting off the front panel button still does not always shut down the outlets; other times it will.

I'm wedded to the MAX1000+ in my rack due to its size and no other power control units that I'm aware of use the old school A/C plug trigger relay of switching the outlets on/off in a unit that will fit in the space.

If anybody has any information or especially a schematic diagram that I could provide a service tech, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Comment

I have a Panamax 1000+ that has started doing the same thing. It will power the switched outlets back on a minute or two after being powered off by shutting down the controlling device. I see that replacing the old electrolytic capacitors, the 100 ohm resistor and the ZD1 zener has brought two of my MAX 1000+'s back to life. This one is a little different though. There is a device on the board identified as T1 that is charred beyond recognition. On my two working MAX 1000+'s that device is beige with a single black stripe around it. Any ideas what it could be and where to source a replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by vzhq16 View Post
                        There is a device on the board identified as T1 that is charred beyond recognition. On my two working MAX 1000+'s that device is beige with a single black stripe around it. Any ideas what it could be and where to source a replacement?
                        Could we see some high-res pictures of your unit, particularly of the affected part? (But also of the entire board too, if possible. The pictures from the orginal poster are really too small for me to be able to identify anything.) "T1" sounds like a transformer of some sort, but that's about as good as I can guess. It could also be something else.

When attaching pictures, please use this forum's built-in attachement function instead of using online hosts. Given that more than a few people now have search for this unit, it would be nice to not loose any pictures to online hosts going "poof" (like has happened with many of them over the years.)

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                          Could we see some high-res pictures of your unit, particularly of the affected part?
                          I've got the same unit without a fried T1 part. Never seen anything like it before.
                          It's like a resistor but has only the one black band on it.

Here it is in the center of the photo. I've included other photos of the board just for reference.

Thanks to Almighty1 in post #1 for listing out the bad caps. I will order those for my unit (they are not visibly bad yet, but the unit has started malfunctioning).

Thanks also to debellis in post #6 for mentioning the 1N4748 Zener diode ZD1 that can fail. Mine doesn't look bad but I'll replace it anyway.

Does anyone know which resistor is the one that frequently burns out? Someone said it's 100 ohms, but I don't see a 100 ohm resistor anywhere. It is not the one on the right-hand side of the green arrow in post #1, which appears to be R6 and a 10k (brown black orange gold) 2W metal film resistor.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by dchang0; 05-10-2021, 09:57 PM.

Comment

If it helps anyone:

C11, C12 and C14 have 5.0 or 5.5mm diameter and 2.5mm lead spacing.
                            C8, C9, and C18 have 10mm diameter and 5mm lead spacing.
                            Last edited by dchang0; 05-10-2021, 09:59 PM.

Comment

On my unit, the charring under the PCB indicates that these components got pretty hot:

R1 (15K brown green orange gold)
                              ZD1 (Zener diode)
                              R6 (10K brown black orange gold)

Comment

T1 looks like a jumper. The tan-colored body allows it to be installed by a pick-and-place machine. Do the good ones measure shorted?

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                  T1 looks like a jumper. The tan-colored body allows it to be installed by a pick-and-place machine. Do the good ones measure shorted?
                                  Mine is a good one (my whole unit is mostly functional). I just measured T1 in situ, no power to the unit, and it measures 0.03 ohms. You are probably right that it is a jumper. TILSN (Today I learned something new). Thanks!

Comment

FYI, R6 is probably a 3W 10K resistor, not 2W as I previously thought. It looks to be metal oxide.
                                    R1 is probably 2W 15K resistor, not 1W as I previously thought. It looks to be metal film.

I might order 1W higher for R1 just in case.

Comment

Zener Diode ZD1 is a 1N4749A, not a 1N4748A. I pulled mine (not charred) and the label clearly says 1N4749A.

1N4749A = 24V 1W
                                      1N4748A = 22V 1W

BTW, before I took out the factory-installed 1N4749A, the voltage across it measured approx. 24.9V. That said, my unit is malfunctioning in that the power switch doesn't turn off the unit, so this voltage could be wrong. However, the label on the Zener diode is absolutely "1N4749A 519" regardless of the voltage measured across it.

---

I pulled R6 and installed a 10K ohm resistor, but that caused the LED voltage meter to remain dark. The one I pulled (factory installed) measured 99 ohms, BUT the markings are brown black orange. Perhaps the orange band is actually supposed to be a brown band, but it's not even close to the first band in color. Still, I put the 99 ohm (factory installed) resistor back in, and the LED voltage meter came back, so it probably is that the orange band used to be brown.
                                      Last edited by dchang0; 05-16-2021, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                        T1 looks like a jumper. The tan-colored body allows it to be installed by a pick-and-place machine.
                                        Concur.

Originally posted by dchang0 View Post
                                        I pulled R6 and installed a 10K ohm resistor, but that caused the LED voltage meter to remain dark. The one I pulled (factory installed) measured 99 ohms, BUT the markings are brown black orange. Perhaps the orange band is actually supposed to be a brown band, but it's not even close to the first band in color. Still, I put the 99 ohm (factory installed) resistor back in, and the LED voltage meter came back, so it probably is that the orange band used to be brown.
                                        Yeah, I've had that problem before with resistor color bands looking a little off (either from heat or just from age) and making me think they had a different value.

The thing is, when resistors go bad, they almost never go lower in value. Rather, their resistance increases. So if that resistor measured 99 Ohms out of circuit, there's no way it could have been a 10K originally. So that's how you can check if the colors of the bands are messing with you.

Comment

Working...
                                        X