Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some True BCN History - Homecoming of a long lost friend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some True BCN History - Homecoming of a long lost friend!

TopCat

Just how many computer do you have because in one of the pictures I saw a lot of them on a shelf

But very nice work ——> you must enjoy what you are doing <—— keep up the good work

I appreciate you for putting affordable computer system together for people in this pandemic and the hardships that people are facing “ Thank You ”

I find your comments about problems that you run into that take a long to figure out [ a waste of time ]
    Very funny I have had the same thoughts a few times myself
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 01-28-2021, 10:14 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
      Just how many computer do you have because in one of the pictures I saw a lot of them on a shelf
      I really don't know. What was shown on that shelf isn't even the tip of the iceberg. There's gotta be over 100 of them around here....they breed at night, along with monitors & keyboards... Some of the more useless/bad systems I've been dismantling and ebaying or recycling...otherwise this stuff will run you out of your own shop!

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
      I appreciate you for putting affordable computer system together for people in this pandemic and the hardships that people are facing “ Thank You ”
      When the panic set in, I sold every laptop I had, and finally started selling desktops when the laptops ran out. I got to the point I had no more decent desktops available/ready that I lent out THIS BUILD to a customer that needed a pretty powerful workstation with multi monitor support.... It worked for several months while the customer gathered the funds for a more modern build, and I got the hobbyist build back when the new one was ready. It kinda made me smile inside a little knowing that something that was built to be a time-wasting toy ended up helping some in need.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
        Jeez when I first read this title I thought you were talking about someone coming back to the forum like PCBONEZ. What happened to him??
        Originally posted by momaka View Post

I think there was a dispute between him and another member, though I don't remember the details too well and over what.

Then again, I've seen a lot of good people come and go ever since I joined here.
        Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        I think Mathog ran him off with his far left weirdness.... I hope he's doing ok....IIRC he was up in the years and not very healthy....and it's probably been a good 10 years since he's been on.
        He hangs out over at Vogons.
        Here is a thread where I linked a Vogons post where he posted:
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=86188
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
          He hangs out over at Vogons.
          Here is a thread where I linked a Vogons post where he posted:
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=86188
          Glad to know the old chap is ok...
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            well there went 5 hours of my life I'll never get back. Installing the OS on SYS-B kept yielding BSoD's....after eliminating all the RAM, I focused on the motherboard and processors....long story short, I finally saw a second bad intel processor in my computer career that spans more than 2 decades! Wonky Prestonia 2GHz CPU. I had a pair of 2.4GHz Prestonias in an old Dell workstation. Issues went away. I managed to narrow it down to which one it was....so I could properly salute it...
            If you got "0x0000000A", then it probably is a failed CPU, FYI, unless it was an unstable CPU overclock.

Loss of RAM stability, OTOH, is likely to be "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA" or "BAD_POOL_HEADER" (Possibly 0x0000008E as well)
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
              If you got "0x0000000A", then it probably is a failed CPU, FYI, unless it was an unstable CPU overclock.
              Reread the thread....

Long since diagnosed and corrected.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

So this thing is back in the news....this time it's cycling out HDD's that are 10+ years old.

I normally don't run them past 5, but time got away from me and there were no bells & whistles from the RAID controller... Whoever says WD Greens are junk can go eat some crow. 11yrs of flawless service, as well as some WD RE3's. I had a bunch of 1tb & 2TB's in RAID10's. I simplified a little this go-round with some 4TB's in simple mirrors. This go-round I tried some 4TB HGST 'Coolspin' 5300RPM drives, I got a stellar deal on 8 of them; which is half what I had in the system before. I've had very good luck with HGST drives. Speed is not crucial on this system, it's nothing more than a file server & local stream server. This cut the drive quantity in half; phasing out many 7200rpm RE3's. In the end, fewer drives = less power and twice the capacity.

The new drives!

NAS 2 (the backup server) got it first. This way I can dump NAS1 to this one and I know everything is current.

Removed.

New ones installed and now there's plenty of empty bays!

...and done!!

The rest I can do from my office. The controller said HI!

Arrays built, partitioned, and formatted.

Most the night last night was spent transferring data over.....and now fast forward to this morning....

NAS1's turn!

Last 4 new drives.

The pile!! I did reuse 2 of the 2tb Greens in a RAID1 for dedicated DVR drives....before it was all shared.

Cleaned the filters while I had the doors open...

...and done! These all need to be wiped and the rehomed....

...and all finished... The transfer & resetting all the shares went smoother than usual for as many as there were.....Until next time with this jewel!!
                Attached Files
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Better than my 1.75TB 14 drive RAID 10 setup... made of 250GB 7200 Seagate's. Wanna talk about outdated bullpuckey
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Topcat: Wrong last image in that post?
                    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Eh, having worked in data recovery, you were lucky with those Greens and also you said that you did clean the PCB contacts în them, which is likely what kept them running.
                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                        ...you said that you did clean the PCB contacts în them, which is likely what kept them running.
                        Seems you have to do that with any WD these days...
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                        X