Dc power supply in cnc not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dc power supply in cnc not working

there is a french guy who was reverse engineering stk modules a while back!

Comment

i may be the only person that has genuine sanyo STK4191 V modules

i bought a retired audio video repair shop inventory

as i said he bought them new about 25 years ago from sanyo

not fakes

made by sanyo..not just stamped sanyo

Comment

I doubt that Jameco would be selling fakes ( knowingly) but you never know anymore
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

sanyo is not a cpmapny anymore and hasnt been for many many years..the last sanyo real stk was made about 20 years ago

anybody or any company who sells a new stock stk that is stamped sanyo or marked with a sanyo part# on it is just a fake knockoff period and are junk compared to the original sanyo made stk....go to youtube and search fake sanyo stk and you will see a guy who took them apart and see the difference.
          Last edited by shelby5041; 08-29-2021, 12:29 PM.

Comment

U1 LM338T with R3 and R2 make up a 5V regulator no way it can do 5A with such a tiny heatsink, even 1A would cook it.
            U2 7812CT makes up a 12V 1A regulator
            U3 not in pics

I think there is no 42V reg, it was just the raw DC off the big filter cap?
            Looks like a wire is missing if there is no big fat take off wire from the filter cap(+). There's two black wires (bridge rect. and load) but only one red wire (bridge rect.) musta been a copper thief lol
            Last edited by redwire; 08-29-2021, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I was talking about the LM338 regulator ic chip
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Looks like around a 44 volt regular based on what I can see. It should not be dropping much voltage and thus not dissipating that much power either. Nothing wrong with this regulator, except that the circuit prohibits it from self preservation if things go awry. LM338/LM317's usually can protect themselves from certain death - this circuit cannot.

Comment

hi if he say regulator good then where else should i check why no 42v at connector but yes 45v at big big cap?

from the cap to the connector are only a few components..a few diodes and resistors

no copper thief..machine worked fine last time i used it and has been stored in my garage.since then untouched,,,.nobody but me has access to machine

Comment

Regulator will be damaged if it's only 1.4 volts on its output.
                    You still need to make sure that it's still not shorted.
                    Tried swapping the board with one of your other ones and kill those too? Then you'll know if it's shorted or not at least ...

Comment

yes there is only 1.4v at output connectors that should be 42v as was last time machine was used by me

i guess i will replace the tm338 and see what happens

i dont want to swap boards from my other machines and create a worse situation since they are both running fine..

im sure it can be fixed and im sure its a simple issue ..as long as the big cap has 45v then i know everyhting before it is working fine and there isnt much after it ..its possible when i was messing with the new potentiometer on the other board the new potentiometer was bad and created an issue / surge with electronics elsewere

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by shelby5041 View Post
                        yes there is only 1.4v at output connectors that should be 42v as was last time machine was used by me

i guess i will replace the tm338 and see what happens

i dont want to swap boards from my other machines and create a worse situation since they are both running fine..

im sure it can be fixed and im sure its a simple issue ..as long as the big cap has 45v then i know everyhting before it is working fine and there isnt much after it ..its possible when i was messing with the new potentiometer on the other board the new potentiometer was bad and created an issue / surge with electronics elsewere

thanks
                        I am going ask you something and do not want you to take this the wrong way but where did you get the information about hooking the potentiometer to this board and was it made to be done the way you want to hook it up

The other thing you can not run the LM338 at 45 volts ( maximum voltage is 40 volts) it is not designed to run at this voltage for very long you will fry it after a short period of time and if you heat sink is not big enough that is going to be a problem as well

Here is an example of what can go wrong with something that you have bought for a purpose and find out there are issues and it will not last very long because of the issue it has

Right now I have a battery charger for a tool that the charger has a design issue the switching transformer ( over heating ) is not big enough to push 3 amp like the manufacturer claimed it supposedly to be able to do so I have to decide how and what I am going to do to be able to use this battery operated air compressor that I just bought
                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-29-2021, 07:12 PM.
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Hi samsam
                          I hooked potentiometer up per manual and have dome same on otherc2 identical mschines with no issues

The LM338 is what the msnufscture used so i will replsce it...if it doesnt fix issue i will let u know

Comment

potentiometer schematics per manual
                            Attached Files

Comment

Update

Nevermind...this thread done

I put board bsck on to test voltage regulstor voltages and within 1minute the lsrge blue cap exploded .

Power supply is trash

Im not sure what i dod wrong as this machine is same as other 2 but i really messed it up and now its going to be a huge expense..i may just scrap the machine.

Whst could cause the huge blue csp to explode?
                              Last edited by shelby5041; 09-03-2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

connected backwards.

Comment

Yep thats what i did.....is that huge cap even replaceable if it dodnt blow everything else in circuit

Unfort im just having bad days with this damn machine.

Comment

Yep… no problem. Just match something up at Digi-Key, mouser etc.

Comment

Yrah but this cap is huge like 75mm tall and 45mmdia
                                      It mist cost a fortune

Comment

as it's just a line frequency filter and a burned out lm338 you'll likely just damage the capacitor and nothing else. Maybe the rectifier or fuse. Much less damage than APFC SMPS primary capacitors blowing.

pics for "what not to do"?

BTW makes me sad when I see caps and equipment blown up this way Also makes me mad when people screw up equipment like this, including myself. I hooked up a 8mm video camera backwards by mistake and fried stuff. *sigh*

Also a quick search on mouser: a 75V 7800uF capacitor (1.75" diameter) costs $25 ... Others around that can cost up to $50 a piece or so. But yeah not cheap...
                                        Last edited by eccerr0r; 09-03-2021, 05:05 PM.

Comment

i just removed the capacitor

its 75v 4800uf

80mmx50mm with screw terminal type 22mm span
                                          Last edited by shelby5041; 09-03-2021, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X