Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MajorGeeks / Simplix Win7 Rollups - Trust or Not Trust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MajorGeeks / Simplix Win7 Rollups - Trust or Not Trust?

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/det...pdatepack.html

Seems its a liked rollup.....but when the support site for it is in Russian, lets just say I'm skeptical. I've rolled it out on a couple test systems, nothing exploded....but what's the man behind the curtain done that isn't known? What's say any of you?
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: MajorGeeks / Simplix Win7 Rollups - Trust or Not Trust?

I usually just use WSUS update, after that win7 update system works fine
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
      I usually just use WSUS update, after that win7 update system works fine
      As do I....the only reason I was interested, this is supposed to have the updates past EOL that WSUS doesn't get anymore; only ESU license holders can get.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Simplix, FTW!
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/det...pdatepack.html

Seems its a liked rollup.....but when the support site for it is in Russian, lets just say I'm skeptical. I've rolled it out on a couple test systems, nothing exploded....but what's the man behind the curtain done that isn't known? What's say any of you?
          I don't know, as I haven't tested this... but years ago when I worked as a PC tech, a lot of my colleagues would swear by the DriverPack Solution software... which is also a Russian piece of software developed specifically for installing drivers on a PC in a quick and easy way. I was skeptical towards its use back then... and still am a little (I've found it on a few occasions it can install sub-optimal drivers on a system, making it not function 100% right.) But I've used it on a few occasions now on personal machines, and so far no issues or weird behavior. It's certainly improving. (Though when I can, I always rather go the manual route and install the correct drivers by myself.)

All in all, though, most Russian/Eastern European websites/software I've used, have rarely been hostile. I think part of it has to do with the mentality, in that Russia doesn't really have any sympathy for M$ or any of the other Western companies that are nowadays transitioning more and more into the direction of exploiting their customer base to the fullest... but in a legal way (think: subscription-based "pay-per-use" software.) At the same time, there aren't many "Eastern" companies that put out equivalent complete OS products on the market to what the Western companies have had for a good while now. Thus, a lot of genuine effort goes on in Russia (and Eastern Europe in general) to fix/improve/adapt Western software (read: M$ Windows) to be 100% useful without any fake limitations that software companies put in there. So we end up with quite a lot of good software and tools for Windows OS, thanks to that effort. I'm sure you've used 7-Zip and Classic Shell before, just to name a few.

That being said, I still don't know where to stand on this Simplix rollup software... but I would guess it's probably safe.

On the other hand, if it was Chinese software, I wouldn't trust it.
          Last edited by momaka; 10-05-2021, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            That being said, I still don't know where to stand on this Simplix rollup software... but I would guess it's probably safe.

On the other hand, if it was Chinese software, I wouldn't trust it.
            Two of my favorite pieces of software!!

If it were chinese, this thread would have never even been started....just for that reason.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Working...
            X