MacBook Pro aA1398 Fans at full speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Pro aA1398 Fans at full speed

I'm working on an A1398 820-00138 where the fans are running at full speed shortly after the computer starts. HWMonitor tells me that the Heatpipe Outgoing air and the the Airport Proximity sensors are at 128 degrees. There is not an overheating problem. I checked the connections and voltages at Q5803 and they are 0.5v on pin 1 and 0.9v on pins 2/3. From what I can tell this is not out of the ordinary but I need to confirm that Q5803 is the heat pipe sensor in question. This board worked properly before I removed the board to repair a bent ground pin at the DisplayPort connector. There doesn't appear to be any damage around Q5803. Has anyone had an issue like this on any A1398? Is there a sensor on the RIO board that I haven't been able to find?

Re: MacBook Pro aA1398 Fans at full speed

Could be a sensor issue. Try using ASD tool (if applicable for your model) to narrow down.

Comment

I did use the ASD and it told me that only the Airport Proximity was below value at -128. I can't even find an Airport Proximity sensor on the board. All of the other sensors test OK. It makes me think that something else is causing this. All other ASD tests passed.
      Sorry, the board is an 820-3663 not a 00138. I'm woking on both boards and mixed this up.
      The fans had been working fine as I tried to resolve an issue with the brightness control only on Big Sur. I pulled the board to repair a bent sheild pin on one of the Display port connectors, and when I put it back, the trackpad didn't work anymore and the fans started the gradual high speed increase to full.
      I replaced the trackpad with a spare and now that is working again but the fan problem remains. I've ordered another trackpad to see if it makes a difference. This is very strange.

Comment

OK, so I did find the sensor on the board near the Airport card. On the schematic it's labeled as X29 Proximity. I was previously doing some soldering of the metal shield of J9510 right next to the sensor. I don't believe that I touched the sensor at all and it still looks OK. I may try a light re-flow of the IC to see if that will correct this.

Comment

A reflow didn't help and I was able to pull one from another board that I have. I didn't want to reball the chip so, because there are only 6 pins, I decided to just push it down into place like any other SMD IC, and it worked.

Comment

Hi

I have the exact same board as you as well as the exact same problem when my Mac presented these problems i opened up and disconnected/reconnected some connectors in hopes it would resolve but then suddenly my trackpad stopped working and the fans continued its high speed. I ordered new trackpad/battery/keyboard. The issue still persisted.

I'm still searching for solutions any ideas ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hagg62 View Post
              Hi

I have the exact same board as you as well as the exact same problem when my Mac presented these problems i opened up and disconnected/reconnected some connectors in hopes it would resolve but then suddenly my trackpad stopped working and the fans continued its high speed. I ordered new trackpad/battery/keyboard. The issue still persisted.

I’m still searching for solutions any ideas ?
              Hi have you run apple diagnostics/ASD? If so what did it report?

Hey ACS-Repair did you get this one fixed?
              Last edited by Simplebeans; 02-08-2022, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Hi Simplebeans. I did get this fixed. it was an issue with the X29 sensor located near the Airport card. I suggest downloading and running HWMonitor for Mac. It will tell you right away which sensor is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ACS-Repair View Post
                  Hi Simplebeans. I did get this fixed. it was an issue with the X29 sensor located near the Airport card. I suggest downloading and running HWMonitor for Mac. It will tell you right away which sensor is the problem.
                  Nice one ACS-Repair! I didn't have this issue myself i was just checking in to see if i could have helped.
                  Last edited by Simplebeans; 02-16-2022, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X