Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I finally got one too! a new monitor! and my first ips panel to boot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally got one too! a new monitor! and my first ips panel to boot!

after bigtroll managing to score a new video card in this thread, i thought i'd get a new monitor too, since my current one has a bubbly and blurry screen that i posted in this thread.

i tried numerous local websites to get one but many required a mobile number to sign up which i dont own. i also had issues finding the right monitor that met my requirements. it was a nightmare finding one, spending weeks looking through g00gle.

finally, i decided to try lazada, the singapore version of jack's aliexpress. it only required an email address for signup, but whenever i tried getting one, the shit was always out of stock! fuck that tech gear chip shortage because of covid! looks like its not limited to just video cards!!

after waiting months when i finally managed to catch it at a time when it was finally in stock, i tried checking out the item but it kept complaining of a card issue. funny... my card works for paying in international websites like ebay, paypal and aliexpress. funny how it doesnt work on the sinkie version of aliexpress!! and a local website to boot! i tried many different sellers but always the same issue.

then a few days ago during the then upcoming 10/10 sale on lazada, i was eyeing an lg 27mp500 to get when the sale starts at midnight. got up at 4am in the morning to check! and they still had one left! whee! lucky me! i then tried paying and to my surprise, the payment went through!! lol! lucky me x2!!! fock them shitty local websites with their shitty payment methods lol!

i half expected the transaction to get cancelled or reversed but none of that shit happened. then the tracking said the seller shipped the item out at around 7.50pm that night at the end of the day. the delivery courier service then said they expected to deliver the item tomorrow. wow uber snappy 1 day delivery!!

so i received my item at around 4.50pm in the afternoon. unboxed it quickly to test it out and it was great and works nicely. the out of the box factory settings for the picture were shitty as usual and the pic looks washed out. but a few tweaks to the gamma mode settings, contrast and increasing the rgb color temp from the factory default of 50% to 75 % cured those washed out image quality problems.

its my first ips panel as the response time on ips finally came down to the 5ms range which i found was now acceptable to me, thats why i decided to get one also, aside from the bubbly and busted screen on my previous monitor. and wow, the picture quality is wonderful as everyone claimed it to be! hooked up my tv set top box and everyone looks more beautiful in ips with the more vibrant colors on ips!! video games look more beautiful and huge on the larger screen too!

anyway, i also ran into some issues after starting my system the next day. i hotplugged the monitor the previous time without turning off or rebooting the system, so didnt encounter it at first. now after starting any video game at full hd res, the monitor will keep complaining of an out of range signal. i knew that had something to do with the 75hz refresh rate of the monitor at full hd res.

i found that hdmi is treated as single link dvi, so the max pixel clock is 165mhz. 1920x1080x75hz res has a pixel clock of 180mhz or so, so that was the problem! vogons also has a forum post about a guy complaining about winxp and modern high refresh rate lcd monitors.

i tried looking for refresh rate fixes for winxp and nvidia video cards to force the nv4 video driver to pick 1920x1080x60hz as the res to use but it seems many games dont support forcing or picking a specific refresh rate to use. the only solution i found was to use dxdiag and at the last tab, u can force a specific refresh rate in directdraw. this is the same as adding the forced refresh rate key to directdraw in the registry. but there are side effects to this setting because it affects everything and every game i run!

so i wonder if anyone knows of other ways of using a specific refresh rate for a specific resolution that works on retro machines with nvidia video cards? rivatuner perhaps? but my google-fu hasnt found anything on how to do it on rivatuner. i also havent tried this monitor on my ati/amd retro machines yet but i heard that atitraytools allows setting a specific refresh rate for a specific resolution so it shouldnt have that problem.

anyway, thanks for reading my grandfather's story about finally getting my hands on a new monitor! cant wait to do some pounding finally, on my new monitor!

Re: I finally got one too! a new monitor! and my first ips panel to boot!

Hey, welcome back Chaos!
    I'm guessing this is why you were gone so long (broken monitor)?

Congrats on the new one!

Yeah, the prices and availability seems to have affected almost everything nowadays. Well, we haven't had any issues with finding monitors and TVs in stores, but that's because the US is a pretty big market and has to keep a good stock/hoard of consumer goods (and besides, Thanksgiving and Chirstmas are right around the corner, so to speak... so stores are already preparing for the sheeple herd on the holidays.)

I'm guessing that low response time should cut back a lot more on image tearing, especially in older games with low FPS. And same with YT, hopefully. This is really the only reason why I can't switch out my CRTs... well, that, and motion blur... and true deep blacks. At least to me being used to CRT, I notice that even good LCDs still seem to blur a good amount when the picture moves around... though nowhere near as bad as old LCDs from the early/mid 2000's. It's also something you can adjust to. I was using an LCD all summer while I was away from home and visiting family. Watching YT on an old 19" LCD from the mid 2000's was a total cringe at first - tearing and blurring I just couldn't ignore. But I got used to it eventually. Now back at home, I'm on a really really crappy (but big) Westinghouse 22" LCD... and it's still cringe to watch for any gaming or video (terrible vertical viewing angle and snail-slow response time.) But it's large and with a relatively low native resolution (1650x1050), which I like so I don't have to squint at tiny pixels and buttons. And it's mostly for online/badcaps/office use, not gaming or video, so I don't mind it as much. Of course, as soon as the weather cools down a bit more, I'll be switching back to my space heaters... err.. I mean CRTs.

That said, as much as I like my CRTs, I'm starting to find a limitation with them on more modern competitive games, like Fortnite. Running one of my best 19" CRTs on 1152x864 @ 75 Hz looks wonderful in terms of colors and not having to worry about image tearing or pixel lag. But even with that resolution, it's really hard to aim at far away players in shooter games. I can run up 1280x960 or even 1600x1200... but then I can't see the crosshairs on my screen. I suppose modern games don't even expect anyone to still be using a CRT, so they are designed purely for LCDs. Thus, whenever I get a tiny dot crosshair (and especially one that isn't transculent), I just can't see it. With LCDs having sharp square pixels, that isn't a problem.... but then also why you need Anti-Aliasing on them to make the picture look smoother. CRTs are the opposite - built in AA, due to natural non-square shape of their pixels... but that tends to make text and single-row/column pixels not stand out as much.

Anyways... as far as that old monitor of yours - don't throw it away yet, at least not without checking it. I skimmed through your thread, but perhaps there is a chance bad caps on the video board may be bad? Given the image is only blurry in the middle and not the corners, probably unlikely. Still worth checking, though. Other thing I can think of: moisture ingress on the tab bonds, causing nearby data lines to fire simulatneously?? So maybe some drying/heating could cure it?? IDK, but perhaps playing with it instead of chucking it. If it's a CCFL-based monitor, it'd be good for backlight testing.

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire
    i half expected the transaction to get cancelled or reversed but none of that shit happened. then the tracking said the seller shipped the item out at around 7.50pm that night at the end of the day. the delivery courier service then said they expected to deliver the item tomorrow. wow uber snappy 1 day delivery!!
    Well, it's not like SG is super-huge in terms of landsize (or is it island size? hehe ), so I'm kind of surprised the company didn't send out some guy to personally deliver you the monitor same day.

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
    anyway, i also ran into some issues after starting my system the next day. i hotplugged the monitor the previous time without turning off or rebooting the system, so didnt encounter it at first. now after starting any video game at full hd res, the monitor will keep complaining of an out of range signal. i knew that had something to do with the 75hz refresh rate of the monitor at full hd res.

i found that hdmi is treated as single link dvi, so the max pixel clock is 165mhz. 1920x1080x75hz res has a pixel clock of 180mhz or so, so that was the problem! vogons also has a forum post about a guy complaining about winxp and modern high refresh rate lcd monitors.
    How about first try forcing the monitor to run at 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz in Windows on your PC. A good number of games made in the last 10 years or so will usually run at the same res and refresh rate as desktop, once you set their resolution to match the desktop and restart the game. This applies to both XP and 7, though is usually dependent on the game. Much older games (early 2000's) that start their menus at lower resolution may not give you that option.

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
    so i wonder if anyone knows of other ways of using a specific refresh rate for a specific resolution that works on retro machines with nvidia video cards?
    Well, can we have more specifics on the OS, video card(s), and drivers you're using?

I don't remember if Riva Tuner Statistic Server that comes with MSI Afterburner let's you set a specific resolution and refresh rate or not. All I remember about it is that it allow per-game/custom frame limiting... but that doesn't actually affect the resolution (for example, I use this with Dirt to limit to 60 FPS to keep my GPU cool, despite my monitor running at 85 Hz.)

For very old ATI video cards (as in, legacy Radeon from the X series or older) ATI Catalyst had options, IIRC, to select specific settings for D3D/OpenGL per game... though I don't remember if it allowed specific resolution there either.

For nVidia... I don't remember which driver version and which video card I did this with (might have been a GTX 560), but I remember being able to set a custom maximum resolution and refresh rate limit in nVidia's control panel. So by doing that, I was able to lock one of my CRTs to run at 1152x864 @ 85 Hz, which Windows did not think was a valid preset for said monitor (yet had higher presets available.) This setting worked for both Windows and in games. But again, unfortunately I don't remember specifics from that. I think it was something I did with my (now defunct) EVGA 780i-SLI / C2Q 6600 / GTX560 build. I ditched using it back in 2019 though, due to stability issues, so my memory of what I did on it is kind of stale.
    Last edited by momaka; 10-12-2021, 10:34 AM.

Comment

you're...you're using xp? that's a gaming card. Like, almost no games these days has xp support
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
        you're...you're using xp? that's a gaming card. Like, almost no games these days has xp support
        Hey now, I can play Q3A on anything from NT4 to Win10!!
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          Hey now, I can play Q3A on anything from NT4 to Win10!!
          Oh I didn't read that right, it was bt that got it. Yeah xp can run basically older games. Sucks living in a place so hard to find hardware

Comment

Oh I didn't read that right, it was bt that got it. Yeah xp can run basically older games. Sucks living in a place so hard to find hardware
            Like an IPS monitor...that was so 2010! Heck mine are still CCFL backlit, not LED (dell U3011's)!

BTW, nice new avatar!
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              Like an IPS monitor...that was so 2010! Heck mine are still CCFL backlit, not LED (dell U3011's)!

BTW, nice new avatar!
              Same pony

Comment

Same pony
                Just a different pose.... Much better!
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Her name was originally 'derpy' (Derp being one of south parks gifts to the world, in reference to someone who is mentally disabled)

People complained about it (Season 1) so in the episode they cut the name out of the other character talking to her, but it stayed in the closed caption lol.

She didn't even originally didn't have eyes like that.

Comment

ccfl 4:3 for the win!

of course all my monitors where free,
                    but if i actually had to pay for one, it would be IPS and have all the inputs on it, VGA,DV-I,HDMI etc.
                    the asus ones look nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X