Dell P2217 - White screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell P2217 - White screen

I picked one of these monitors out of the trash at work, it looked a bit dusty, but newish, and the screen wasn't gouged or cracked as far as I could tell, always a good start.

Brought it inside and found that the screen was pure white when switched on. Pressing buttons seemed to make the brightness a little dimmer (menu screen popping up?) and pressing other buttons made the backlight go off for a second or two, and then come back on again (input switching?).

I did a quick google on the model, but no threads or pages with any issues for this model coming up. It's a relatively new model, from the last 4/5 years, but the sticker on this one says it was made in March 2021. Another page using white screen as a keyword turned up someone saying that the video cable needs to be reseated or replaced, but that was for a different model...

https://www.dell.com/community/Monit...3454720/page/2

Anyway, open it up (not too bad, clips came apart easier than some), but first thing I notice is that the enclosure is fully stuck on using silver tape, no locating lines or holes for screws. The back of the monitor has deep mouldings to locate the enclosure when putting it back together though.

I had a look at the boards and couldn't see anything obviously bad. Had a look at the video cable, and when I disconnected it from the video board, some of the pins (the right-most ones on the thumbnail photo, bottom pins on full view photo) looked a bit screwy, hard to pick it up on the photo. That end of the cable appears to be glued onto the plastic clip that then goes into the connector. I pressed around the pins to flatten them, connected and disconnected the cable a few times, half put the monitor back together, and the video comes on fine!

Not sure I'd pass this on to anyone else given this flaky connection though, and likely won't use it myself, although it has VGA, so I might use it with a Dreamcast to play some vertical shooters if it looks good enough and works with it.

Anyway, just wanted to make this post and report, as I was surprised that such a new monitor would be taken down so quickly, but given the cheap-ass connector, maybe not so hard to understand? Are Dell and other manufacturers doing similar with other models? Haven't seen the insides of such new models first hand, so wouldn't know. It seems to be more of a budget model, so perhaps this is how they keep the costs down. Panel picture seems pretty good though.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tmcw; 01-05-2022, 09:43 AM.
Working...
X