Vizio E470i-A0 Dark Areas After Replacing Backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio E470i-A0 Dark Areas After Replacing Backlights

A couple simple things to try, unplug any hdmi or other accessory cables and just try it with cable or antenna, try plugging tv directly into wall outlet, try a factory reset. See if any of those work.

Comment

Did you try a different hdmi cable if hdmi is what you are using?

Comment

It looks like the power supply on this model supplies two seperate strings (4 wires to the panel) So there are two seperate series strings, The panel uses 12 strips, 2 across the panel, for 6 rows. It is not possible to have ONE row darker, the power supply has no control over 1 row of 9 led's. It can control the top 3 rows or the bottom 3 rows.
        The best way to confirm it would be to switch the darker row with another row. Your eyes can't tell the brightness when lighting them with the batteries. they all looked bright, but once you put on the diffusers and the lcd panel you can now see the difference.

Comment

I am using an antenna only, no hdmi or other external source. I also tried a movie on Netflix and it looked the same.

RJ, I figured that.. but what are the chances of a complete row of brand new LEDs being dim? Furthermore, out of 12 individual sections, the chances of connecting two of them together which both are dim?

Comment

Another thing to try, turn backlights NOT brightness down to 0 then back up, see if it goes away, I wouldn't run them above 50 percent myself.

Comment

Could try: Menu-picture-advanced-smart dimming-off or : Menu-picture-more picture -Active LED Zones-turn off.
              Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-12-2020, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Could try wiggling the backlights cable see if there's any change, in case it's a loose/bad connection. You tried plugging directly into wall outlet?
                Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-12-2020, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Does this model have the smart dimming and active zones features? I haven't seen them in the settings, but then again I wasn't looking for them.

I'm running the Backlights at 70%. I did try turning them down to 0 and back up but no change.

It's actually plugged into an extension cord which is plugged into one of those light bulb socket adapters. My basement only has one outlet and it's far from my work area.

Comment

Originally posted by x_orange90_x View Post
                    I am using an antenna only, no hdmi or other external source. I also tried a movie on Netflix and it looked the same.

RJ, I figured that.. but what are the chances of a complete row of brand new LEDs being dim? Furthermore, out of 12 individual sections, the chances of connecting two of them together which both are dim?
                    What about the distribution board the strips plug into? It may not be the led strip(s) but the connection to them. With the 6 strips (3 rows) connected in series, and supplied by a single voltage source, how can you control (or change) the brightness on 1 strip without effecting the other 2?
                    Last edited by R_J; 03-12-2020, 10:33 AM.

Comment

perhaps it is more likely that the "uniformity" (light output) of the replacement leds is not up to "spec".

Comment

I would try plugging straight into a wall outlet, just to see if maybe it's having a problem with the extension cord setup if those adjustments below don't work..
                        Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-12-2020, 01:34 PM.

Comment

User guide: maybe check page 25 section 5 to turn off that ambient light, smart dimming and all that crap: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...802bc0702c.pdf
                          Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-12-2020, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I just tried all of those different settings, and also plugging into outlet. No change. I suppose the only option I have is to take the panel apart again and try to get the Backlights on with diffusers in place without the screen.

The only way I could see it being an led strip issue is if the voltage is governed by the preceding led. That would mean the very first led in that strip coming from the plug would have to be "weak", limiting the rest of the row to that same voltage. I'm sure this isn't how it works though, because a burnt out LED in the middle of a strip doesn't prohibit the following LEDs from working. I find it unlikely that the entire row (L1/L2 AND R1/R2), randomly connected together out of dozens of possible configurations, would be subpar in comparison to the rest. IF it IS possible that the first LED is undervolted and limiting the rest after it, that would make sense.

Comment

Doubt it but could try unplug wifi module and see if that does it.

Comment

Beginning to wonder if it could be a mainboard problem?? After reading post #48 there: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=55317&page=2
                                Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-12-2020, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                  Beginning to wonder if it could be a mainboard problem?? After reading post #48 there: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=55317&page=2
                                  The LEDs are plugged directly into the power supply, so if suspect that before main. FYI, I realized tonight this TV doesn't have a TCON... Irrelevant, but figured I'd make note of it.

Comment

It is LCD so it must have T-CON, your panel may have integrated T-CON.
                                    Never stop learning
                                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Will I finally fixed it! The picture are attached and they pretty much say it all... The broken trace was unexpected, but nonetheless fixed.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

That would do it. Good to here it is Finally fixed. Looks like a screw was installed in the wrong place.
                                        Last edited by R_J; 03-14-2020, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Damn, I thought there was strips that were not lighting up in post #16, 3 of them looks like, so who put that screw there??

Comment

Working...
                                          X