Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How different in size can you go for SMD capacitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How different in size can you go for SMD capacitors?

I'm working on bringing an old cell phone back to life. During the repair of the actual damaged part, I accidentally desoldered a few tiny (like grain of sand tiny) cap's off the board which are now forever lost on my basement floor.

I have the schematic of the board so I looked them up and got some replacements, and despite a half dozen attempts, these damn things are WAY to small for me to get on the board. Every time I try it just gets screwed up, the cap flys off from the hot air, I try to put pressure on it and it pops out and goes flying, etc. I don't have the tools needed to work with stuff this tiny

Could I get some larger SMD's with the same specs and use them, as long as I can make contact with the solder pads?

Re: How different in size can you go for SMD capacitors?

try holding them down with flux when blowing hot air .

Comment

Sometimes I lay a needle tip across the smd and lay something on it to apply a bit of pressure. the needle tip will hold the smd in place as the solder melts.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
        try holding them down with flux when blowing hot air .
        This works for me as well. If the pads are tinned the component will fall right into place.

Comment

with the flux there i find i can add solder if needed but a little tricky to get it right . have tried solder paste but getting the right amount is white man's magic to me . can never get it so it's not too much .

Comment

Working...
          X