X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hey tech heads,

I'm Steven, from the east coast of the US of A, 25 years old

I've always been attracted to technology, and have always had a general aptitude for taking things apart, trying to figure out how things work and solving problems. Just recently, I've been getting pretty good at putting those things back TOGETHER and not inadvertently destroying them, and even getting all the screws I took out back in (though not all the time).

So it's nice to find a forum directed towards that. Oh, and I also took 2 years of CISCO networking in high school, and really enjoyed it. Then got married and had kids so school for said subject is on hold x_x. Not complaining though, I love my family.

Comment

Glad to have found this forum for electrical repairs. I have 4 years of experience from school for electronic components and repair. I am also a Cisco Systems engineer and have taught computer/network/internet security for the past 20 years.

I am hoping to get some help with my Denon AVR-3808CI and the "blinking red light of death."

I have watch a couple of videos that I have found so far on youtube.com for this exact issue but they have been on different Denon models then mine.

If anyone knows of where to find a copy of the Denon service manual for my model that would be a "GREAT" start for my testing.

Cheers,

Christopher

Comment

[QUOTE=Topcat;53]A WELCOME to everyone that joins in!!

A little about me?!?

HMMM I'll give a little info... I've been in the electronics field since 1981, with no experience in TV/VCR repair all the way to industrial electronics for a very large and well known manufacturer.

Symptoms: Standby light is light (red) when the power button is pressed. The power light turns blue and flashes 7 times on the seventh time stays solid blue. The panel doesn't light up or anything. I can hear the relay click when i plug it in and press the power button, and when i press the power button to turn it off the relay clicks as well and the light goes back to red indicating its in standby.

So far I have the back of the tv taken off. When I plug power into the tv. The green light on the control board and the green light on the main board light up. I have measure all the outputs from the power supply with a DMM and im getting correct voltages. On inspection of the PS, all caps look great no bulges or leaking. I have the service manual for a 50pg20 which is almost identical to my tv. Checked all fuses on the Z-sus, Y-sus and power supply all good. This includes the ceramic fuses and the surface mount fuses.

On the Y-sus card there is a label for VZB and -VY. When the tv is plugged in i tried measuring across the resistor and i get zero voltage. According to the sticker i should be seeing some high voltage there. I read in another post on here to try unplugging the y-sus and try to turn on the tv, tried still back. Then i tried the opposite without the z-sus plugged in still black. Next I went to the Y-buffer cards they are located on the left hand side and are plugged into the Y-sus card. I removed the top buffer card and I get the bottom of the screen show light there is no picture cause i don't have a video source plugged in but i think this means that the panel might still be good. Next I plugged the top buffer card back in and unplugged the bottom buffer. Stays black. I read that both drivers are synced so if one goes it will affect the other. So I have ordered a new upper buffer card. But im worried that it might actually be the y-sus card because of my voltage readings on it 0v when everything is plugged in. However with the top buffer card unplugged i was getting fluctuating voltages thats why i ordered the top buffer card.

Sorry im kinda long winded. Trying to explain all the stuff i have checked over. If anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate some help or if you think i was correct in ordering a replacement top buffer card that would be great news.

Comment

We are a Veterans Non-Profit that is located in San Dimas California and supports Veteran Non-Profits by providing technology and bicycles for them to donate to Veterans. We are in a local County Surplus donation program and receive a lot of computers that have bios password lock outs and would like to be able to be on this forum to seek help in disabling those passwords so we can donate the systems. We look forward to the knowledge that this forums has to offer. Thank You.

Comment

Hello, I live in Nottingham, England. I am now retired but spent all my working life in the telecoms industry, starting as a wireman and ending as a software configuration engineer. Although I had a lot of experience in wiring printed wiring boards I have none in using surface mount components or fault finding.

I found this site while looking for info about faults on a Sharp (in this case read that as Vestel) TV set that is dead. The site has already pointed me towards a couple of possible causes, so I am hopeful that I may be successful.

Thanks to all the people that contribute, you make the site a great resource of knowledge and help.
            Regards to all

Comment

Small world, I used to live in Nottingham!

Came across this site after my Dell monitor failed, and it seemed like the best place to ask some questions as I'm a metallurgist by trade, not an electrical engineer!

Comment

Hello. My name is Nate. I'm a college student studying Computer Science and Computer and Systems Engineering. I'm a certified electronic technician (ISCET and ETA) and like building and repairing electronics.

Comment

Hello, my name is John and im like eletronics and computers. Hope to enjoy this forum.

thanks

Comment

Hello, looks like a great forum. I'm looking forward to continuing my electronics training. I was a network engineer, network architect, started with telephony and migrated to X.25 and then IP forms. Training in college for electrical engineering, spent some time with NASA Space Center Houston, and then become the father for four wonderful children who are all now adults, where did the time go. Project Management, system design, customer service management, general manager and then a Reduction In Force at AT&T left me looking for something less 24 hours, so for the last 12 years I've been tinkering on eBay and repairing broken electronic equipment. Now have a number of monitors that either are dead power or have the 2 second flash dance so I'm looking for ways to hone by component level skills and access to schematics. This sounds like the perfect forum for doing that. So say hello, and keep it cool, as we say here in Minnesota. Best Regards, BrianA_MN

Comment

Hi,

What a great forum for sharing information (and maybe making new friends). I live in rural England and recently finished working as a development engineer - meaning I've time to start brushing up my repair skills which as regards some types of electronics (i.e. lcd's) are near non-existent.

Really hoping to learn and share what I know.
                      phil

Comment

hello

Comment

Hi, I'm an experienced computer and phone repairer.
                          Just recently I replaced some caps in a PC motehrboard acting as an arcade machine and got it working again. It had an issue where it wouldn't start if RAM was in slot 1 but putting new caps in place of some expanding ones got it working again.

Thanks Bad Caps!

Comment

Hi to you all.

I am excited to be part of this forum.

I am from Cape Town, South Africa and I completed a diploma in electronics years ago. I haven't been working in that field but want to get back into doing small repairs for myself.

Regards

Wessel

Comment

Hello My BOB T and I live in CONNECTICUT

Comment

Robert Therian Electrician

Hello

Comment

Hi my name is Jay. I have repaired a couple of LCD monitors in the past and just found a 42 inch LED in the neighbors trash. Could not resist the dumpster dive, and it did power up initially and work which led me to wonder why it was in the trash. Then when warm it did the blinking thing on power back up. No bad looking caps in it, but voltages are not looking right. Saw some good advice on here so I thought it would be a great resource for this and future repairs.

Comment

Hi Gaz - computer engineer.
                                    You are only too old when you say you are too old!!!

Comment

name is Terry. Love to fix almost anything... just to see it work again.
                                      Why? Darned if I know. just seems like fun.
                                      Working on a visio E322VL, AT THE MOMENT, AND this forum had somuseful tips. Love to tinker....
                                      today is 06-17--2015. Live long and prosper....

Comment

Hello from Illinois (USA).
                                        I currently work for a tech company. I primarily work on PC's and Mac's as well as networking and pertinent software and whatnot. I have repaired a couple of older LCD monitors in the past with advice from the many people at this site. I hope I can contribute in the future with others as needed and as able.

Comment

Hello,

I'm into computers and recently started getting into electronics. Used to software, now turning onto hardware.

Comment

Working...
                                          X