X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by momaka;574851
    I know this works for you. But in case you missed some of the discussion in [url=https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47333
    this thread[/url]...
    Don't worry,I've replaced it with a 20A 60V schottky.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by xelectech View Post
      stj:
      >if you need any info or manuals - just ask.
      >i may want a file or 2 from the harddrive in the future btw.

Thanks, much appreciated, so far i have about 24 MBs of pdfs and info files.

The motherboard only has 64Meg of memory installed so I've not yet been able
      to run any newer programs to get a look at what's on the HD. With it installed in another machine I briefly tried using clonezilla and boot it next generation to back it up, with no success. I think I tried Part Ed 3.0 as well, at least got a look at the partitions with that, not sure all the disk space was accounted for there.

It would surely provide some peace of mind if one could transfer the system onto a newer HD; since it's the only maxx HD I have was kind of leery of trying too hard, and am wondering if getting another stick of memory for it would help with getting into the HD files via the Unicorn MB.

How 'bout you, any success on that front? What kind of maxx machine(s) have you got?
      i'v got the same one as you pretty much.
      a maxx classic with unicorn board.

i hacked the fuck out of the software, i have Emerald (older than yours) running from a compact-flash card.

if you get a spare harddrive, sata is fine with an adapter, or a cf-card & adaptor.
      minimum size 8gig

then download this:
      http://www.accessmerit.com/DownloadM...ger_1.0.32.msi

then download this:
      http://legacy.megatouch.com/support/...oads.php?id=20

Force 2005.5 install iso's also install Jade2
      Last edited by stj; 07-24-2015, 05:44 AM.

Comment

stj:

>i hacked the fuck out of the software, i have Emerald (older than yours) running from a >compact-flash card.

Way to go! Tell me more, please.

>if you get a spare harddrive, sata is fine with an adapter, or a cf-card & adaptor.
        >minimum size 8gig

So, are you saying it is possible to put together a back up hd for the maxx ruby system?

>then download this:
        http://www.accessmerit.comDownloadMa...ger_1.0.32.msi

I'm not sure what to do with a .msi file -

>then download this:
        http://legacy.megatouch.com/support/...oads.php?id=20

I went to that link but when I tried to save the files listed I just got a page with a 2 digit number on it -do I need to have javascript enabled, or accept cookies or something?
        Since I've only got dialup, I'll probably have to go to the library to download 'em, anyway.

>Force 2005.5 install iso's also install Jade2
        >

Anyway, thanks for the links and info, looking forward to learning more

Comment

the maxx software was in 2 versions.
          upto and including Emerald, it was based on DOS and needed a quantum-fireball harddrive.
          after emerald it was based on Linux and should run on anything.

the first link - msi file is a downloader you install on a windows pc.
          the second link is for a bunch of tiny files that tell the loader what to download from merit.

the loader should download 4 iso files - these are your re-install discs.

once you have them, hook your replacement harddrive or cf-card to the megatouch, along with a cd/dvd drive to the second ide port.
          plug a ps2 keyboard in and boot the system up - it may run the cd, if not you need o change boot priority in the bios to boot cd first before the hd.

once it boots the cd - just follow the instructions on the screen.

Comment

1995 suburban. Got in a trade for a simple web design and a spare dual core laptop.

Comment

@xelectech

mods:

also on the small audio board, you can remove a resistor to stop the motherboard "BEEP" when you turn the power on from routing through the speakers.
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a nice fit - what size card is that?
                Have you figured any use for the usb capability of the mb?

I need to do some more tinkering with mine, it's been awhile.

Comment

that's 4gig but after Emerald you need atleast 7gig.

the usb cant be booted from, and afaik it's usb1.1 - it is used by Jade2 for loading updates if you have a usb header and a usb stick.

btw, keep an eye on the motherboard caps around the cpu - they are famous for bursting.
                  i did a full recap using NCC around the cpu and replaced *every* small cap with tantalum!!

Comment

Me again 2 more scores - a FSP FSP300-60GTP PSU and a MSI 865PE Neo2.

Strangely,they both act like this:

- When attached normally,PSU and board seem dead.
                    - When PSU attached to board with short on green and black wires,both PSU and board work normally
                    -when another PSU (Fortrex ST-400W,quite beefy Deer with a EI-33 transformer and PFC) is attached to mobo,it starts normally,by using the front panel.

I don't know what causes this,as I've tested both parts.

PSU reads the following voltages without MB,using DWM:

12v - 11.06v
                    5v - 5.41v
                    3.3v - 3.36v

I found a dead resistor on a side of the PCB (close to the bottom right corner screw)which I removed. I literally couldn't tell the resistance,as the pink coat it had was so melted that it was now mostly silver. It also lifted its pad once I removed it,but PSU still works.

Fan is a ball bearing Yate Loon (good!). Wiring is 16AWG mostly (occasionally a 20AWG on some of the 20pin ATX header) with 20AWG on the P4 plug.

Connectors:

1x 20pin ATX
                    1x ATX12V P4 wire (even though 12V line has about 15A according to sticker,maybe that's enough for a 3GHZ P4HT Prescott they thought? )
                    6x HDD/ODD 4pin Molex plugs
                    2x floppy connectors
                    1x AUX connector.

As for the motherboard,I got it with the PSU. Whoever had it before me recapped it with Samwha caps next to the CPU and they had to keep them floating! (legs too long and wouldn't fit all the way in)

Even then,it still had 2 bulging Nichicon HM 1500uf 16V,which instead of replacing I just threw them away,leaving the places where they went empty. It works fine,like they were never there. CMOS battery is dead (don't have any atm,will find a replacement tho),and NB fan is semi-seized. (took me a few pushes using a screwdriver but it started spinning in the end, I need to clean it up)
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

if the contact in the atx shell for 5v standby is bad the mobo cant sent the power-up signal.
                      just a thought.

or low standby voltage - did you check the psu caps for bulging / leaking?

Comment

T-Con to repair my 50LGPK590 £9.20 including postage and packing - quoted £120 from a pakistani repair shop to supply and fit.
                        lol
                        You are only too old when you say you are too old!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          if the contact in the atx shell for 5v standby is bad the mobo cant sent the power-up signal.
                          just a thought.

or low standby voltage - did you check the psu caps for bulging / leaking?
                          The only cap bulging was a 2200uf 16V Teapo,which is already removed.

Right now I use the "AT/XT-style trick" by jump-starting the PSU along with the board. 5vSB shell should give 0v if bad,right? 5vSB measured about 5.14v btw.
                          Main rig:
                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                          16GB DDR3-1600
                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Sorry for double post....

I found out what causes the motherboard not to turn on:

Without load,the PSU gives 5.14v on 5vSB. When connected to mobo,it gives about 3.88V. Why? This is caused by a bulged Fuhhjyyu 1000uF 16v,right under the secondary heatsink,which is responsable for the 5vSB(I think,it's close to the standby transformer).

I have a old modded Deer as donor for caps (it has good caps,like UCC KZE and such,not fake caps)
                            Main rig:
                            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                            16GB DDR3-1600
                            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                            Delux MG760 case

Comment

Sorry for another post from me but I can't edit the post I did above.

Recap...worked! I took out the bad Fuhjyyu 1000uF 16v from the 5vSB,along with a bulged 330uF 10V Koshin next to the first PI coil. I replaced the former with a 560uF 16v Nichicon PJ (from a old PS1 PSU),and left the space for the 330uF unpopulated.

Hooked it up back together,flipped the switch,shorted power button pins,and it took off.

That Yate Loon Ball Bearing Fan is almost silent,just the startup sounds like a jetplane.

PSU powers a 3GHz s478 Prescott HT,a 80GB SATA HDD and a Radeon HD3450 512MB AGP GPU. There's no DVD-ROM since I already have a Ubuntu 15.04 install,so it's less heat. (it's still heating a bit though,it claims 15A for 12v and has a P4 plug. Strange though,there's no sound,even though the audio chip is fine,and it's detected by the system. For monitor I have to use a Elonex 17" LCD which is in quite rough shape.
                              Main rig:
                              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                              16GB DDR3-1600
                              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                              Delux MG760 case

Comment

for sound check the mixer settings and pulse-audio settings.

Comment

So what bargains have you picked up and fixed / easy fixes?

I don't know but I think its kind of addictive, only been tinkering with stuff for about a year but always on eBay and elsewhere looking around for stuff, its like an adventure. Probably done around 10 individual items at around a 70% success rate.

Picked up some A/V gear a few days ago and was listed as faulty, full 5.2 speakers, amp, laserdisk player and a projector. This is all old school gear but still good stuff.

Drove out, collected the gear and brought home like a kid at Christmas eager to get stuck in. Spent a few hours on it just checking stuff over and concluded the fault lied with the AMP, and most likely the rest of the gear was fine.

Looked for dodgy caps, checked internal fuses (had 6 in total) and spent a few hours on it. Then thought to check the socket fuse (i didnt at first as seller said he had changed it with no luck) and low and behold a 5a fuse probably out of a lampshade stuck into a amp that needs 13a. Tested it and it was blown, replaced with a 13a and there you go breathed life into it.

Prefer older gear, something that you can bring back to life and restore. Tired looking gear with a bit of work, polish you can bring back some former glory is very satisfying.

Comment

Re: So what bargains have you picked up and fixed / easy fixes?

I once scored a Sony xav-601bt head unit for $50 on ebay... in for parts condition. the issue was a bad connector between the front panel and the main chassis, which I had to hillbilly fix as I have yet to find this type of connector on digikey (if I found it, I'd fix it, it's just a 42 pin SMD header)
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I bought 192GB of PC3 10600 ECC (12x 16gb sticks) in "as-is, untested" condition for 200 bucks. All of them were good, samsung DIMM's.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                      Team : 49813
                                      Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=577718. Don't we already have a thread for this?
                                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                          for sound check the mixer settings and pulse-audio settings.
                                          I checked everything possible. Still nothing.
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X