Clear All

Re: Zotac mainboard needs PSU with 8-pin mobo connector

Originally posted by hikaruichijo View Post
    tighten the nuts untill the board starts to bend
    that will fuck the bga soldering.

NEVER bend the board!

Comment

How close is 3/8 inch to 1 cm? That's the length of the screw I'm looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        that will fuck the bga soldering.

NEVER bend the board!
        Some coolers (intel ones 775 and later) do intentionally flex the board a little bit to provide pressure against the CPU's heat spreader to ensure good contact. Don't bend it a lot though. No more than 1mm or so.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

then they are shit, if you do that you eventually pull away the balls in the center of the package - like on the xbox360!!

if you need a lot of force, you need a rigid frame under the board, i have a p4 like that.

Comment

Hi, I'm talking from my experience, and I bended graphics cards and mainboards based on nvidia chips after reflowing then when tightening the coller and for example the gt220 from the system I talked before, it looks like a bow and has been working great for 2 years at least I don't remenber it whell. and on the workshop we have a 775 board based on an nforce 650sli I think, that has been working great for more than 3 years. There are a lot of solder balls underneath the bgas and is like a bed of nails, the can sustain a lot of presure.
            And original cpu collers from intel bend the motherboard a bit when asembled. Note that when you push the pins of the cooler you bend the board.
            But the fact that I never had problem with that doesn't mean that I'm doing it right, nothing is perfect.

Comment

I use the nuts that come with cpu cases and the corresponding screws but the longer ones I can find and the carboard washers that where comon some years ago.
              Sorry for the very bad explanation but my english is not very good and I don't know how to explain it.

Comment

GPU heatsink with fan, not attached yet, just in position.
                Attached Files

Comment

The fan should be blowing the air againts the cooler not extracting. Put it the other way, with the stiker down, it is a comon mistake
                  Maybe with the fan is enought, check the temperatures.

Comment

you have a shitty pad, as most NB chips have. Just need to take 91% isoprobyl and wipe away it all from the die surface and heatsink surface. Put a thin layer of arctic silver 5 on it and that should fix most of the problem with it (Push the heatsink down firmly and move it around a little bit to make the paste thinner) and the plastic pushpins are fine. The fan might still be a good idea for a 7100 series cause i've certainly seen bigger heatsinks on those that have ran hotter.

If you want to go cheap HTPC you can get a LGA 1150 motherboard and a Celeron G18xx ($40-60). All the haswell chips support quicksync (hardware .h264 decoding).

oh yeah and it does have HDMI support, a nice intel HD graphics APU instead of a separate onborard graphics chipset, and more than 4 sata ports

it also runs cooler CPU-wise, takes less power and runs quieter
                    Last edited by Uranium-235; 09-06-2015, 02:31 PM.
                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I sized some screws exactly today, with nuts for the underside. Problem on the underside is that the nuts will touch motherboard traces. I have a choice of 4 plastic washers or 4 very thin fiber washers used in mobo mounting. Apparently this board is so small, there's another layer of trace circuitry on the underside, or is that normal? I also want to invite ideas for mounting the fan. In the past I have tied it down with copper wire, but maybe there's a better way.

When I invited suggestions for a replacement motherboard, I should have mentioned that I want to re-use the Intel Dual Core processor in this unit, assuming it would fail in a short time. I guess that would mean another LGA 775 mainboard.
                      Last edited by binsonk; 09-06-2015, 04:55 PM.

Comment

screws and nuts to fasten GPU heatsink
                        The plastic washers are about twice as thick as the fiber washers. I might go with the plastic washers, but they could compromise the tightening of the screw, over time and temperature fluctuation, due to plastic's bouncy resilience, reluctance to deform. The fiber washers would deform under pressure and heat, preserving a tight fit.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by binsonk; 09-06-2015, 04:41 PM.

Comment

there is nothing wrong with push-pins, you just need to mount the fan to the heatsink.

Comment

There may be nothing wrong with the push pins, but they interfere with the top mounting of the fan. I think the plastic washers are going be best for this situation, keeping the nuts away from the board and protecting the traces. Hand-tightening the nuts will give me a good feel for the pressure brought to bear on the die as well as balance of tension. It will also give a visual measure because I can see how many threads are coming through, which is probably not more that 1 or 2.
                            Last edited by binsonk; 09-06-2015, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I really don't know if this fan works, so before I start drilling holes in the heatsink, I'd better try the board without the fan, connect the fan to test it, and go from there. Still looking for a non-destructive way to attach the fan. Any suggestions?

Comment

After 10 minutes running, BIOS reports CPU Temp as 20*C (68*F), System Temp as 38*C (100*F), holding steady.

EDIT: After 20 minutes running, the heatsink is now too hot touch and hold. What temperature is that, around 125*F? BIOS is reporting System Temp as 40*C / 104*F.

I restarted the computer and just laid the spinning fan on top of the heatsink to cool it. Gonna check the temp after 30 minutes.

With the fan on the heatsink, the metal is warm to the touch, but not hot. What temperature is that, around 105*F? The fan is blowing air away from the heatsink (evacuating). This suits the air flow design than I will eventually implement, ie. installing a case fan on the back, to suck hot air out of the box. I'd install the fan right now, except for the fact that the mobo power source for case fan is all the way to the other side of the board, near front panel connectors.

I gather from this little experiment that the heatsink fan is going to make a decisive difference in the life of this motherboard. Any ideas on mounting the fan?
                                Last edited by binsonk; 09-06-2015, 07:57 PM.

Comment

rotate the fan 45 degrees like in my drawing and drill 2 holes in the center "T" section.

Comment

I drilled 4 holes in the sides of heatsink, 2 holes either side, and tied the fan to it with solid wire, positioned as shown in previous pics. I am happy to report the GPU heatsink is just warm (~105*F), and not hot at all. I'm glad I didn't give up on this motherboard. Thanks for your help and encouragement.

Comment

cooling fan installed on top of GPU heatsink
                                      Attached Files

Comment

After the bios reporting the temperature at 40C, that is perfectly alright

heatsinks are SUPPOSED to be hot to the touch, that is good, it means it's adsorbing the heat and disappointing it in the air. Putting AS5 or another good paste over the previous stuff can cause temps to normalize like that without requiring a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by binsonk View Post
                                          When I invited suggestions for a replacement motherboard, I should have mentioned that I want to re-use the Intel Dual Core processor in this unit, assuming it would fail in a short time. I guess that would mean another LGA 775 mainboard.
                                          OK, For Intel it would have to be a X4500 IGPU (had .h264 acceleration). Any motherboard with a G41-45, B43, Q43-45 chipsets has it, those are the last chipsets made by intel for 775.

Other than that use a video card, and I suggest you get a better CPU. you can ebay a Q8300 for ~$20-40

they have some new 775 boards on Newegg, but they're mostly cheap asrock. I got the Gigabyte one and it still works (sold it /w E6600). Some of them also have DDR3 support, so watch out for that if you want to use your DDR2 sticks

Comment

Working...
                                          X