Please recommend smartphone, $120 to $200 range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please recommend smartphone, $120 to $200 range

I'm looking for a replacement smartphone that is priced in the range of $120 to $200, give or take $20. I require front-firing speaker(s) and LTE speed on T-Mobile network. My current phone has a 4.7" screen. Now I'm looking for 5.0" - 5.5". I'm not particularly thrilled with Lollipop because of its restrictions on SD data, so I can accept KitKat 4.4.2+ as the version of Android, or Android with an option to upgrade to Android Mushroom or M.
    I've already selected two possible solutions:

1. Motorola Moto G 3rd-gen 2015 (16gb SSD / 2gb ram)
    pro: upgradeable Android 5.1, 5-inch screen, LTE speed, front speaker
    con: battery not replaceable, pricey ($229), screen gets warm to the touch, no NFC, no Band 12

2. HTC Desire 626 (16gb SSD / 1gb ram) factory unlocked (possible 16/2 variant)
    pro: front speakers, 5-inch display, LTE speed, KitKat 4.4.4 (upgradeable)
    con: small battery (2000mAh) not replaceable, not enough RAM, over $200, does not do T-Mobile 3G

3. HTC Desire 620
    pro
    con

HTC phones are known for having front-firing speakers. I've looked over HTC phones, notably the HTC One M9 (hit-or-miss battery life/performance) and HTC Desire 826 (heating issue), as well as Alcatel Idol 3 (needs screen protection, heating issue, poor battery life). Please recommend smartphones that are within the above guidelines. If you own a Moto G, 2nd or 3rd gen, please give your impressions and a critical review.

Thanks,
    binsonk

Re: Please recommend smartphone, $120 to $200 range

I'm wondering about the BoomSound enhancement feature on the HTC Desire 610 and 620. I know the the Desire 610 has two speakers, one above, one below the screen. I'm pretty sure the BoomSound feature applies here, as well as a normal mode with BoomSound turned off. My question is, can BoomSound be set to mono, and the same question of the normal mode with BoomSound turned off? A second line of inquiry concerns the speaker(s) on Desire 620. Does this phone have just one media speaker, the one below the screen? Does the single speaker still feature BoomSound enhancement? And while this single speaker is obviously mono, I wonder if the earphone audio can be set to mono. BTW, on similar models, two of the apparent holes of the audio grid on top of the screen are actually sensors (proximity, ambient light)

Comment: I like the two-speaker setup on the Desire 610, but the Desire 620 represents such a targeted improvement over the 610, it's on my list. Almost every spec of the 610 has been significantly improved in the 620. That's more a comment on the lackluster 610 than an endorsement of the 620, which still has only 1 gig of ram.

The specs for the Desire 610 and 620 do not specifiy the ability to do Mobile HotSpot. Is that capability more on the phone/device side or on the Android/OS side? Cuz even my low-spec LG can do Mobile HotSpot. Unless Mobile HotSpot is included as a form of Tethering, which is mentioned in Desire specs.

Comment

Why only these models....?

Take this for example:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...323641702.html

Language: Multi-language
      CPU: MTK6753 64bit Octa Core
      Screen Size: 5.5 inchResolution: 1920*1080 pixels
      GPU: ARM Mail-T720
      Storage: 3GB RAM 16GB ROM
      Front Camera: 5.0MPRear Camera: 13.0MP
      SIM Card: Dual SIM,dual standby
      Battery: 4000mAh/4165mAh Battery
      Storage Extend: Support
      Features: WIFI, Bluetooth, GPS,Gravity sensor,etc..
      Network:
      2G: GSM:band 3/5/8 (850/900/1800)
      3G: WCDMA:band 1/8(900/2100)
      4G: FDD-LTE:band 3/7/20 (800/1800/2600)

Comment

take in mind also microsoft lumia, they are cheap and fast.
        i own a lumia 920 and im fine with it

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion.
          Re: Elephone P8000, good specs, but the speaker is on the back, I require front speakers

Re: Microsoft Lumia, I am a Linux enthusiast, so not really looking for a Windows phone

Requirements:
          Snapdragon 410 or above quad-core
          Front speaker(s) (not back, not bottom)
          LTE speed on T-Mobile
          Android 4.4.2 or above
          5 inch or more display
          ability to set audio to mono (I dislike stereo in earbuds)
          adequate ram, 2gb
          adequate storage, prefer 16gb
          SD card support (prefer microSD slot)
          battery 2400 mAh min
          prefer removable battery, but will compromise this spec
          8MP/3MP rear/front cameras, min

The reason I mentioned the Snapdragon 410 quad-core is that the Moto G (3rd gen) sold in Best Buy stores with 8 GB storage and 1 GB ram uses Snapdragon 210, making the phone under-powered.
          Last edited by binsonk; 10-19-2015, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Go for the Moto G. NOT THROUGH CARRIER! YOU WONT GET UPDATES!
            Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Im using a samsung j3 6 running andriod 6.0.1 ..16 gigs..bought it outright for 160 bucks on mts pre paid ..(manitoba canada carrier) its on band 4....dont know if iys locked..havint trird another carrier...

Comment

Working...
              X