Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How NOT to solder headphone wiring!

https://youtu.be/hfIC8b0f-fQ

WTF is he doing?!? Burning the insulation oxidizes the wires and leaves a layer of garbage on it! This guy needs flux! Hell, with good flux (E.G. Rubyfluid flux paste) you don't even need to strip the varnish, it'll burn off with the iron!

WTF splice is that? These are bloody headphones, use a lineman's splice!

Have you ever heard of cleaning the tip of your iron? Why in the hell are you holding the iron to the wires for two bloody minutes? Clearly its not working!

Clearly you have done plenty of soldering, I mean, how could you miss it with the way you are not using flux, and how you hold the wires to the iron for two years! /s

Is that duck tape? Well, points for creativity.......

Why the hell is a channel on the outside? Put the ground on the outside you nincompoop!

Please, just hand over your iron and spool.
    Last edited by goontron; 04-19-2016, 01:56 AM.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Re: How NOT to solder headphone wiring!

LOL my god, hmm professional job there using state of the art tools to, i will have to message him to get tips on soldering and tools for my workshop,

Duck tape.. i use all the time great for that "professional finish" if i dont have any i always use clear stickytape or a plaster (bandaid) even on those DIY jobs around the house, that reminds me why does the electric trip out when it rains?.....hmm, prob need more stickytape or something..

Soldering well i use a plumbers soldering iron with a 13mm bit for all work including SMD work, and 5mm flux solder great for that professional finish we all strive for, (after i have cut all the blobs of solder of the pcb with my pliers) that is...

well thanks for the post Goontron hopefully we can all learn somthing off this guy i hope he carries on posting his work hes a master and i think we should all be greatful of his video, its certainly opened my eyes Bow to the master !!

Comment

Heating it well past red hot there... Oxidation is the least of his worries (why you flow nitrogen when brazing cu tubing)- the wire melts away!

He's obviously never read any of those electronics books and project articles detailing how to use FLUX and *gentle* heating with a soldering iron to remove that varnish.

And to top it off, Mr. Supertech is dumb enough to "show n tell" on youtube, then can't take the heat over his fustercluck of a hack job.

Originally posted by youtube non-pro
      Have you ever attempted to solder headphone wire of this type? I bet $100 you haven't. 
      Well, I bet you don't even know the proper name for it! FWIW, I repaired such a headphone cord years ago with a ratshack iron and good solder. (I was 15 or 16.)

Funny how "the wire's junk" after he blasts is white hot. Funny.

We've all been doing this wrong- let's break out the oxy/acetylene rig to recap those mutha-boards!
      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
      Originally posted by shango066
      All style and no substance.
      Originally posted by smashstuff30
      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
        Heating it well past red hot there... Oxidation is the least of his worries (why you flow nitrogen when brazing cu tubing)- the wire melts away!

He's obviously never read any of those electronics books and project articles detailing how to use FLUX and *gentle* heating with a soldering iron to remove that varnish.

And to top it off, Mr. Supertech is dumb enough to "show n tell" on youtube, then can't take the heat over his fustercluck of a hack job.

Well, I bet you don't even know the proper name for it! FWIW, I repaired such a headphone cord years ago with a ratshack iron and good solder. (I was 15 or 16.)

Funny how "the wire's junk" after he blasts is white hot. Funny.

We've all been doing this wrong- let's break out the oxy/acetylene rig to recap those mutha-boards!
        Rubyfluid and some proper leaded solder do great things moma!
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

That video is private.
          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Looks like the video producer got enough negative feedback so he hid it...

Comment

Working...
            X