Atmel168A-PU-based ESR meter - using on a PSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atmel168A-PU-based ESR meter - using on a PSU

I finally got caught up on my reading and have really been enjoying my new tool. Occasionally though I get unexpected results, especially while I was trying to locate defective components in an Antec psu.

Twice I was on the backside of the ckt. bd. on the component leads and got a real low (like, say, 57pf) reading but after taking the cap out and measuring again the part reads ok.
    This occurred on a 22uf one and a 220uf one.

Lots of OST in the box, and tan glue here and there, so far on the bigger caps I've checked
    I get what seems like reasonable readings for several caps in parallel. There's a copyright date of 2006 on the psu so I suppose it ought to be fully recapped but I don't know if I'm up to it. looks like it'll take forever...

Anyway, what a pain to work on a crammed-full box like this, anyone have any tips?

Re: Atmel168A-PU-based ESR meter - using on a PSU

the reason you cant reliably do in-circuit testing is because other parts like diodes and chips have a capacitance!

this effects all esr meters - the problem is many have been sold on lies!

Comment

Re: Atmel168A-PU-based ESR meter - using on a PSU

Originally posted by stj View Post
      the reason you cant reliably do in-circuit testing is because other parts like diodes and chips have a capacitance!

this effects all esr meters - the problem is many have been sold on lies!
      Oh, okay, so it's pretty normal to have to pull some items, shoot 8^(

Comment

Working...
      X