Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended Capacitor Tester

Hello all...

Was hoping someone could make some suggestions for good, reliable capacitor tester. Is there one out there that can accurately test and provide information about a capacitor such as (capacitance (duh), ESR, Impedance, leakage, etc.) In a different thread, I voiced concern about not being able to accurately identify what specs an old/vintage capacitor had. It occurred to me that if I had a way to comprehensively test an 'original'; identifying the replacement would be cake walk. (I found and bought a few 'general' testers out on eBay and they work OK to provide basic information, but as I mentioned, looking for something that can truly and thoroughly test and measure a capacitor.

Re: Recommended Capacitor Tester

a vintage cap will not be in-spec, so your idea wont work.

Comment

Peak atlas esr meter, very good.
      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

does the peak show leakage?

nothing that costs 2digit numbers will show ripple btw.

Comment

I have an old EICO 950B. It works for the stuff I work on, but will only tell capacitance and if it leaks. AND, you can test caps up to 500V for leakage. And it actually supplies 500 volts to the cap.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            does the peak show leakage?

nothing that costs 2digit numbers will show ripple btw.
            Works well for what I need it for
            Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

The Peak Atlas ESR 70 is very nice. You can use in circuit, has automatic discharge before it analyzes the capacitor, shows Cap and ESR on a easy to read readout and has a automatic shutoff. Shows In-Circuit/Leaky when it senses a bad cap. I remove and re-test. Nice compact design for the field and gold clips. Different beep tones for each function...love it.

Comment

Working...
              X