Harman Kardon AVR-355 going into standby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harman Kardon AVR-355 going into standby

My AVR-355 switches itself to standby mode after a few minutes, when it becomes warm. If I turn it back on, it doesn't shut off anymore and can run for hours. If I let it cool down for a few hours and then turn it on again, it shuts off again after a few minutes. But no more problems if I turn it back on immediately. This always happens, even if the device is not connected to anything. I don't see a "protect" message or anything special. The device simply goes to standby (amber power button)
    I did a complete reset of the CPU, but the problem persists...
    I have attached the service manual, but I'm not sure which way to look. Is it a power supply problem, or is it the CPU forcing standby mode because it has detected an abnormal condition?
    Pierre-Yves Andri, Belgium.
    Attached Files

Re: Harman Kardon AVR-355 going into standby

sounds like a bad cap,
    try using a hair dryer to narrow down which part of the board needs to be warm.

Comment

there are two fuses on the transformer circuit board f110 and f111, harmon kardon recommends replacing them with 3.15a 250v fuses, should solve the problem

Comment

Hi Daron,

After buying a new AVR (Denon), I decided to repair this old and good HK AVR-355. So I located F110 & F111, but they are already 3.15A fuses.
        To be sure, I decided to momentarily bridge them, but the problem is still there : switching to standby mode after 5..10 minutes
        (but AVR remains ON if I restart it immediately, until next cold start).

Thanks for your suggestion anyway !

Comment

1. Measure AC component on every DC voltage rails. Replace / check capacitors when to high.
          2. Check IC36, IC37 voltage regulators. I have seen the negative gone bad a few times. Input selector gets hot when bad

Comment

Working...
          X