Fake GPUs on eBay and elsewhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake GPUs on eBay and elsewhere

Was searching for GPUs. All such a ripoff right now. But just seeing if I happened to find a good deal. Personally I'm fine w/ the (legit) GTX1050 in my main PC. Good enough for the 10 mins of gaming I do every month. But we're trying to build a gaming PC for the BF on a budget and for now I lent him a little Optiplex I stuffed a 1030 in but was just hoping for something better.

Anyway, found this crap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/194206843675

Obviously fake since it has a VGA port. Reported it as well as another one I found from a different seller. I know it's really a waste of time since they'll just make a new account and new listing but at least I'm inconveniencing them a bit and that makes me smile.

Hopefully they remove it. Although they never say "nVidia" or "GeForce" it's still obviously a rip off.

Anyone actually bought these? I see reports of it on forums here and there and they're often like 400 or 500 series cards with screwed up BIOS.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by shovenose; 06-19-2021, 08:58 AM.

Re: Fake GPUs on eBay and elsewhere

100+k positive feedback.. I really doubt the seller will be removed...
    by the way - interesting video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZ32mqmsrg

Comment

A known fake, with that shroud! (with those stripes!)

I recommend that you flag a lot more of them on eBay!
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-19-2021, 04:08 PM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Im currently using 2x of them in SLI with a bios reflash, it was quite a pain to find the right combination of BIOS and Driver for it to work. In the end i cant even play online games with cheat detection.
        I tried to get them for free on ALIEXPRESS, but they only refunded me about 30 bucks. instead of the entire amount ($150 iirc). They offered for me to return them at my cost, but you know how it is shipping something to China, it would be more than what I paid.

Its just a GTS450 which its probably cheaper just to find a GTS450 second hand and use that without having to worry about all the bullshit that comes with fake cards.

ALSO one other thing I would like to point out, is that the 6PIN PCIE power plugs on these are not proper, I believe they are somehow joined to the PCIE 12v circuit, This is my theory because if you dont plug it in, the card will still boot where they shouldnt. Also I tried running an external PSU to power the GPUS, this is usually fine because they are separate circuits. but all sorts of stange things would happen like my computer staying on after shutdown and such. It usually works fine on other GPUs. It would also crash on high load all the time.
        Last edited by taxxin; 06-20-2021, 05:26 AM.
        Successfully completed Repairs:

Current repairs:

Comment

Originally posted by madan1 View Post
          100+k positive feedback.. I really doubt the seller will be removed...
          by the way - interesting video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZ32mqmsrg

Ugh, Linus, ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
            Ugh, Linus, ugh.
            Yeah, totally agree
            It just happened so that I watched this video about a week ago and this particular information was new to me ( I'm not interested in pc/laptop hardware ) so just wanted to share it with other fellas who also do not follow that topic.

By the way, I find Linus videos very useful... when I want to go to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by madan1 View Post
              Yeah, totally agree
              It just happened so that I watched this video about a week ago and this particular information was new to me ( I'm not interested in pc/laptop hardware ) so just wanted to share it with other fellas who also do not follow that topic.

By the way, I find Linus videos very useful... when I want to go to sleep.

Linus videos make me wanna either bang my head in with a hammer or down a whole container of random pills lol.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                Linus videos make me wanna either bang my head in with a hammer or down a whole container of random pills lol.
                oh man Linus is like the thing we keep out of scientific method, 100% opinionated and biased towards the tech giants. paid to keep China from taking over the tech scene
                Successfully completed Repairs:

Current repairs:

Comment

Working...
                X