Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Here is a good used source for 18650 batteries

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
    sigh. miss the "good old days" when balancing is chemically done, like in lead acid batteries...

Just add water.
    I agree with you on this one to but I think those days are long gone
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

You still can do it with flooded lead acid batteries though with AGM/SLA you can't really... technically you need balancing circuitry for AGM/SLA too...

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
        Well what I have found out is that you have to set the voltage at 21.5 for it to work correctly if go pass this point it goes into an error if go lower than 20.5 then it does not charge correctly but the charging circuit does not seem to get very warm so the issue is with the primary side of this switching power supply it is not designed correctly it should not over heat the switching transformer like this

You set it for 20.1 volt however it does not completely charge the battery fully it about 4.1 volts per cell which I could live with

But where do I find a switching power supply that has an output of 21 volts this is hard to find 24 volts is more common

One thing I noticed is that the capacitors in this device are not very good ESR values
        ( at least 1/3 higher than a brand name capacitor )
        for a new non brand capacitors
        So I am going to replace the capacitors that are less than 100uf and see if this makes a difference or not
        Well changing the capacitors helped however it still over heating the switching transformer so just got discussed with this issue and did some modification

( removed the circuit board from the case and removed the balancing wire connector from the battery charger connector to the battery pack and put the balancing connector for the SkyRc IMAX b6 battery tester )

So now I can recharge my battery packs with worrying about the charger going up in smoke

Just want a to able to charge these battery packs

I might still use this battery charger for very low amp hour battery pack 5c1p to not stress the battery charger
        Attached Files
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-04-2021, 12:38 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

One note that was about 60% charged
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here is an update about the battery pack for this battery operated air compressor

I have decided to use the batteries that I commented about on this post https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...sam_sam&page=9

I have enough batteries that tested above 8600 milliamperes hours out of 16 batteries I need 5 batteries that were close to the same milliamperes hours so I have enough to build one battery pack

I going to buy another set of 8 of them and see if I can get some that are close enough to the ones that I have to make another battery pack of 5 battery cells to make another pack

All batteries tested above 8 amperes hours but I did not have enough of them that had the same or nearly the same milliamperes hours either I would have 3 that were close to 8310 to 8350 milliamperes two were around 8400 to 8450
            some were at 8100 to 8300 milliamperes hours

I just have to buy the metal enclosure that Battery Hookup has to houses this type of battery

I will post some pictures when I am finished building it
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 11-13-2021, 05:59 AM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

hmm... whats the lowest price to get 1kWh (don't care what voltage) that will survive at least 2000 x 100% DoD cycles from when I take shipment...

Comment

Are you being serious about this or you just kidding

I have thought about getting this if when I have the money to buy a set of them

https://batteryhookup.com/products/6...-2-3v-20ah-lto
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 11-13-2021, 03:32 PM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

how did I make it sound like I'm kidding? I guess there's a lot of constraints but they are realistic... and no weight or volume constraints... I did accidentally omit the power requirement, would like at least get 800W out of it, though 1kW is an even number.

That LTO battery set would be about $700 for that 1kWh...

Comment

Incidentally the SPIM08HP's. to get 1kWh I'd just need 34 pieces...
                    now is there something even cheaper as I'd still need protection. I do have 4x 4S protection/balance boards rated at 30A... which actually is sufficient if I use all four boards in series for 60V as a 16S...

hmm...actually if I do 16S2P that would be just under 1kWh and I don't need to buy protection boards! Though that's still a chunk of money.

also 8S4P config would work too, working at the limits of the protection board if I only use 2 (30V 32A@1C). However at 60V it'd be less loss when converting to 170VDC.

947Wh (32 cells) would weigh just under 10kg =~ 22 pounds. Sigh. Sillyness is that this battery would only hold $0.10 worth of electricity... Still $130-ish/kWh.

hmm other options on batteryhookup - The samsung EV 43.2V 8.5Ah packs, if I get 7, would be $250 and would be $97/kWh. The 7pcs Jeep 44.4V 9.8Ah packs for $300 is however about $100/kWh.
                    Last edited by eccerr0r; 11-13-2021, 07:07 PM.

Comment

For what I want to do I just need a battery pack that has enough power to last for a certain amount of time and then I would have to recharge them and the BMS/balancing/protection board cost makes me not want to go to big in milliamperes hours output

Now for the battery operated air compressor battery pack I thought about making it more than 16 milliamperes hours pack but after you run it for a while continuously it does start getting warm but this is just something that I going to use to blow things off with when fabricating a plastic part and just want something also that is portable and easy to move to another location without having to be concerned about a power outlet or extension cord
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

how did I make it sound like I'm kidding
                        See below—>
                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 11-13-2021, 09:42 PM.
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

how did I make it sound like I'm kidding…..hmm... (don't care what voltage) that will survive at least 2000 x 100% DoD cycles from when I take shipment...
                          It just has to with the way you said
                          ( I do not care about what the voltage is and will survive 2000 X 100% DoD cycles ) from when I take shipment

Those are some very thigh specs except for the voltage requirement ( can I ask you why you need 170 volts dc for I am curious about this what do you have in mind )

The problem with battery hookup is that when you see that they have something you might want unless you buy it when you see and you come back a day later you might not see it anymore because it has sold out
                          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 11-13-2021, 09:53 PM.
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Now I found something at battery hookup that is bad ass

https://batteryhookup.com/products/d...ery-bms-switch

This is a cool little device it has two speed controller and it has a built in battery pack that surround the motor and it is powerful little motor with a battery fuel gauge on it I bought two of them but I going to buy a couple more of them for just the controller for a motor and compact it is
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

170V=peak(120VAC RMS) and I doubt I'll get a 170V power pack, I'll have to make a boost or other SMPS converter anyway.

The 2000x 100% DoD cycles is simply to ensure I don't start losing cells after 5 cycles.

Nothing very peculiar at all IMHO.

Comment

I'll have to make a SMPS converter .
                                You might be interested in YouTube video that I just watch

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=InWO8bmO7WA
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

if you want a couple of hundred volts then go to a scrapyard and look at some honda hybrids.
                                  they use NiMH cells banked to give 180-200v

Comment

Have to use SMPS to boost because I need to control and regulate the voltage too, so battery voltage still won't matter...

Comment

Have to use SMPS to boost because I need to control and regulate the voltage too, so battery voltage still won't matter...
                                      Can I ask you what you have in mind making because now you have me more curious than ever of you are thinking about making
                                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                                        Now I found something at battery hookup that is bad ass

https://batteryhookup.com/products/d...ery-bms-switch

This is a cool little device it has two speed controller and it has a built in battery pack that surround the motor and it is powerful little motor with a battery fuel gauge on it I bought two of them but I going to buy a couple more of them for just the controller for a motor and compact it is
                                        There is one downside of this device and it the charging controller does not have current control so I have to buy 24 volt li-ion battery charger power that limits the current or get buck converter with current control and limit it only one amp

Unfortunately they have sold out of them for now
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                          if you want a couple of hundred volts then go to a scrapyard and look at some honda hybrids.
                                          they use NiMH cells banked to give 180-200v
                                          What years did they make these cars with NiMH batteries in them
                                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                          1 Dell Mother Board
                                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                          X