Adjustable dc power supply and tcl led strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjustable dc power supply and tcl led strip

I wonder if i shorted the whole strip...where to put pos and neg to just light up a single diode...or the entire strip. The strip lit for a second...so maybe i fried it? What say you?

I have an adjustable dc power supply and was trying around 9 volts.

I have a pic of a single diode...where to put pos and neg terminals to light it up?

Pic of middle of strip..is this where i light the entire strip?

And pic of end...or does this light the entire strip?

Where to put pos and neg for single diode..multiple diodes and the entire strip. As i mention...i may have blown out this strip already...that is possible.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by benareeno; 07-11-2021, 02:33 PM. Reason: Grammar

Re: Adjustable dc power supply and tcl led strip

Well, these leds are hooked in series, so you need much more than 9V to light the strip

Comment

How about 20 volts?

Comment

These led's are usually 3 volts each, so count the leds on the strip.

Comment

but don't they run on a range of voltage? There are 11 led's on this strip. Are you saying I have to send 33 volts?

Just to recap...where do I attach pos and neg to light the strip? Can anyone confirm? And what would be the minimum voltage to light the strip?

Comment

could I use a 9 volt battery to light 3 strips?

Comment

Originally posted by benareeno View Post
              could I use a 9 volt battery to light 3 strips?
              Yes, just scratch off a small bit of solder mask if there are no test points.

Comment

ok...positive to the positive sign and negative on LD1 light the first diode at 3 and 6 volts. I was thinking moving the neg to LD2 would light the first two...but no such luck. It seems one is dead and I can light all the others individually. Still not sure how to light the strip though.

Comment

I think I get it...I can light LD1...but I just can't light LD2 on it's own or with LD1. So I think it's shorted...and I think I am the one who shorted it.

Now...when I try to touch the pos and the neg to light the entire strip the power supply shows a quick rise in amps...but nothing happens. Makes me think I broke the strip perhaps..or, I'm still not touching the proper pos and neg test points to light the strip.

Comment

on the second strip...every diode lights up individually. Just can't figure out where to put the probes to light the entire strip at once.

Comment

Usually at each of the strip ( or on one end depending on the LED strip most of the time it is marked ) but you have to make sure which is positive and which end is negative real important also generally speaking white LEDs are 3 volts but different colors have different voltage requirements
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply
                      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I was thinking positive right on the plus and negative on the terminal beside it...referencing the picture of the end of the strip. But, that doesn't seem to work.

Maybe it needs 30+ volts?

Comment

If there are 11 led's on a strip, even 20~25 volts should light the strip, just not at full brightness. If you don't know where to put the probes to light the strip, post a picture and we can tell you.
                          What is the make/model of the tv ?
                          If all the strips are connected in series, then a single strip migh be open at the one end so supplying voltage to one end would not light the strip because the other end would actually be open.
                          Last edited by R_J; 07-12-2021, 04:27 PM.

Comment

hi there, I put three pics of the strip up. One diode, the end of the strip and the middle of the strip. TCL 43s425 is the model of the tv.

I'll try it around 25 volts and see what happens.

Now, if they are in series, how could I accomplish lighting the strip?

Comment

You should be able to light the entire strip by applying voltage to the center plug, I will assume that there are only 2 wires connecting each strip to the power supply board. If there are 3 wires to each strip, then it might not work.
                              This is the problem with not seeing how the leds are connected in the panel and then to the power supply.

Comment

I varied the voltage from 9 to 29 via the middle pos and neg markings...nada.

Anyone? Bueller?

Comment

The middle leg may not be used, but simply looking at the original wiring will tell you that.

Comment

what exactly do you want to see? I'll try and get it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by benareeno View Post
                                      what exactly do you want to see? I'll try and get it for you.
                                      Your the one that needs to look at the wires that connect to the led strip, that way you can tell how they are connected. If there are only two wires going from the power supply to the led strip, then connect the variable power supply to the strip in the same way. if the led's don't light with 20~30 volts, then you have an open circuit.

Comment

ok...I will look into that.

Now, to simplify...if all led's light individually, shouldn't there be an easy way to perhaps light 2 at a time? I see that in videos on youtube, but I can't make it happen here for some reason.

pos and neg for one light - lights
                                        extend the neg over one light - nothing

I was thinking this should be very straightforward...or is this also part of the series question, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                        X