Light bulb flicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light bulb flicker

Hello. I have an question about my bulb in room. Weather is normal,no storm etc. Today first time it flickered for 1 second. It happened when i close door in my room ( no more air )
    Bulb looking like that:

Is this problem with electric in my house or it was bulb? It flickered ( black ) for 1 second and its fine. Should i worry? All deviced and pc working ok.
    My mother turned oven 2 hours ago,maybe something because of that?Bulb flickered 5 minutes ago.

Re: Light bulb flicker

might be bad bulb or wiring .

Comment

It appears to be a compact fluorescent bulb. They shouldn't flicker out as they have electronic ballasts but if it's temporarily overloading, the circuit might blink out for a second to cool, but more likely it may be a power wiring issue.

however I'm curious...
      for those people living outside of the USA, how much are CFL bulbs compared to incandescent and LED? I suspect that incandescent bulbs are now made illegal due to energy waste, but how much do they cost compared to LED?

Like in the USA, CFL bulbs are pretty much worthless now, people are opting for LEDs which have gotten significantly cheaper. And even those "filament" LED bulbs that mimic incandescent bulbs are much more sought after than regular LEDs, making them more expensive due to supply/demand...

But how how is pricing in other countries for CFL/LED/"filament" LEDs? It might be worth to just replace the old CFL bulb?

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
        however I'm curious...
        for those people living outside of the USA, how much are CFL bulbs compared to incandescent and LED? I suspect that incandescent bulbs are now made illegal due to energy waste, but how much do they cost compared to LED?

Like in the USA, CFL bulbs are pretty much worthless now, people are opting for LEDs which have gotten significantly cheaper. And even those "filament" LED bulbs that mimic incandescent bulbs are much more sought after than regular LEDs, making them more expensive due to supply/demand...

But how how is pricing in other countries for CFL/LED/"filament" LEDs? It might be worth to just replace the old CFL bulb?
        Me too I curious as well about these questions
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

So i have compact fluorescent bulb ? It flicker because of power wiring issue i have in house? How to check that? It flickered once today.Now its fine again.

Comment

connect another bulb in parallel and see if they both flicker at the same time or not...?

Comment

Originally posted by sew333 View Post
              So i have compact fluorescent bulb ? It flicker because of power wiring issue i have in house? How to check that? It flickered once today.Now its fine again.
              If my memory serves me correctly this is your third thread with electrical flakeyness.
              Why have you not got a professional in yet?

I had a light that used to flicker downstairs. It turned out it wasn't the light but the main feed into the house ageing and becoming brittle. I was lucky to not have a fire.

Comment

led and ccfl are the same price or close.
                i personally prefer ccfl because it's less directional.
                and lets be blunt - the light output from both is coming from excited phosphorus so no real difference in that.
                i think they last a lot longer too.

the issue with the flicker could be a failing light switch as they are close to the door,
                i had to replace one of mine a while ago - they do wear out.
                Last edited by stj; 07-18-2021, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                  the main feed into the house ageing and becoming brittle. I was lucky to not have a fire.
                  That kind of BS is getting more common in the U.S., I bet!

Same with a loose neutral, which may be more of a problem with N.A. wiring than in Europe, Africa, most of Asia and Australia.

Also, incandescents are still not illegal in the U.S.
                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 07-18-2021, 04:08 AM.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                    Also, incandescents are still not illegal in the U.S.
                    That might be true however I can still get them at Home Depot but yes they are hard to find my understanding is once the supply that is here is USA runs out that is it l going to buy some more if I can find them so I have a supply for testing equipment and switching power supply and the like
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply
                    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                      That might be true however I can still get them at Home Depot but yes they are hard to find my understanding is once the supply that is here is USA runs out that is it l going to buy some more if I can find them so I have a supply for testing equipment and switching power supply and the like
                      Looks like more keep getting manufactured. Just not in U.S.A., because Sylvania sold out to China, like Hoover!
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                      X