Asus VS197/VS197D-P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus VS197/VS197D-P

So this was a great find! $2 at the thrift store, since it was un-tested. I brought it home and tested it out and it worked just fine. However, I wanted to take it apart to replace the caps. There isn't a lot of room so I had to order some fresh caps for it. I loved how easy this thing was to take apart. Very easy!

What was most noticeable was the main board! Look at how it was installed, it is completely warped because they did not place it under the notch to keep it in place. Fortunately, it does not have any SMD components where the bend it. What it did, was start desoldering the VGA mount. What I was curious about was, should I just resolder the flexed joints and install it as it was? I'm afraid that if I try and bent it back, it would break. It does not want to flex and is firmly in its current position.

The board is very simple. The original caps would probably last a long time but they will be replaced anyways

'SMEAR GLUE'
    Attached Files

Re: Asus VS197/VS197D-P

Recapped the whole thing, including the main cap and the single cap on the mainboard.

In case anyone wants needs the cap info that was used for this monitor in the future, this is what I used:

PSU:
    x1 Nichicon UPZ 47uF 450V (D x H): 12.5 x 42
    x1 Rubycon ZLH 33uF 100V (D x H): 8 x 13
    x3 Rubycon ZLH 330uF 35V (D x H): 10 x 14
    x1 Rubycon ZLH 220uF 35V (D x H): 8 x 13
    x1 Nichicon UPW 4.7uF 50V (D x H): 5 x 11

Mainboard:
    x1 Rubycon YXJ 100uF 35V (D x H: 6.3 x 11

Here are some pictures:

If you don't use these exact caps, I don't recommend going any higher than the mentioned 14mm height caps. MAYBE 15mm max. The amount of space between the power board and the metal bezel is very small.

I installed the mainboard exactly how it was before. I think it would break if I attempted to move it back. What I did do though was resolder the VGA joints to relieve any pressure on them that may have been there.
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X