ps3 fat overheating problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ps3 fat overheating problem

hi all i have ps3 fat it power on i get to the menu and even start a game then then fan starts to get louder and louder still is automatically shut down. i tried doing a reflow on the gpu and rsx chip with my smd rework at temp 235 degrees Celsius for ab out 90 second on each chip but getting same problem. i dont know if i would increase time im heating the chip or if i should increase temp but i dont want to burn it.

also i dont have the gray thermal paste im using the white heatsink compound i normally use on transistors i dont know if this is also an issue.

Re: ps3 fat overheating problem

Did you use good quality thermal paste, like MX4? Sounds like you used the cheap stuff... which is likely contributing to the issue.

Reflowing isn't going to do you any good in terms of long term fixes.

If you have Facebook, come to the Game Console Repair Legion FB page and post your question there. I'm one of the moderators. https://www.facebook.com/groups/console.repair.legion/
    -Thomas
    I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Comment

i got some gray thermal paste today at a computer store ill try some of these and see if it makes a difference. i will check the facebook page maybe will get some good advice there to sharpen my console repair skills.

Comment

PS3's are known to have problems with CPU's or GPU's overheating quickly , it is most likely cpu going bad... One thing you can try is putting a washer in between screws that push the cooler onto the cpu and gpu so it puts more pressure on it.. Also i would consider taking that metal cover off them and cleaning them nicely.. reapply the new thermal paster under the metal and on top , put the washers on and pray it works... also 235 celsius for a reflow is not enough to do anything... You would have to go about 350 to melt solder but considering the heat dissipation on these boards i dont know if 400 will be enough.. anyways i wouldnt mess with that untill you've exhausted other options.

Comment

To solve this problem you will most probably have to take off IHS (metal pad between CPU and cooler), because thermal paste between CPU and IHS is not working as it should anymore. I had the same problem and few days ago did this, even with a generic thermal paste PS3 is silent and not overheating.
          BUT, it's not an easy job, and there is big chance that you will damage chip if you don't do it carefully. Then the PS3 would become parts donor, so be aware of that.
          I followed this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDK9aR_xXrs and as a tool used 0.2 mm feeler gauge
          Do it on your own risk!!!!!

Comment

ps3 fat have many problems, remove ihs on the bga very carefully and apply thermal paste,
            the one that overheats more cell cpu, be very careful for the removal of ihs, if you scratch the cpu trash the mainboard

Comment

Working...
            X