X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

Originally posted by exevolution View Post
    I wound up going with both links I posted above because they are from the same seller who is in the same state as me and money is tight right now I need to save every penny. Cut back on my shipping costs and I want to get it fast.
    Just pray they are genuine. Finding genuine caps on eBay is like finding a needle in a pile of hay. When you get them, do make sure to create a new thread and post some pictures of all sides of your caps. If they are fake, they won't last much at all.
    Also, both Mouser and Digikey offer USPS priority mail shipping, which is quite cheap (around $5 usually), so it wouldn't have been that much more expensive to get your caps from there.

The monitor is already 6 or 7 years old, heavily used. I honestly don't think I need the longest life possible capacitors because the CFL will probably burn out long before this next set of caps bust.
    True.
    But if you got fakes, you'll be replacing caps again in the near future. Also, let's say you bought high quality caps and they outlasted the CCFLs. Worst case, you can always use that monitor for parts (i.e. strip the caps to put in another faulty monitor).

Comment

I don't see any Panasonic caps on this site but I do see the ones you're talking about on ebay. Panasonic FM 680µf 10v which were in the 2nd ebay link I posted above.

I wound up going with both links I posted above because they are from the same seller who is in the same state as me and money is tight right now I need to save every penny. Cut back on my shipping costs and I want to get it fast.
      Example...

Panasonic FR, 680uF 25V 105C
      Farnell -> http://www.newark.com/panasonic/eeu-...-20/dp/74R3438
      Mouser -> http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...xb5dUn7WsMA%3d
      Digikey -> http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...422-ND/2433556
      RS Components -> http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/alumin...itors/7083730/

The monitor is already 6 or 7 years old, heavily used. I honestly don't think I need the longest life possible capacitors because the CFL will probably burn out long before this next set of caps bust. And I also think they lasted this long because of the low year round temperature around here, if I lived in the desert or something, it probably would have died years ago
      Well, who cares how long. Just as long as it works and gives troublefree operation. I often use Nichicon HE because they are very cheap as well, in fact cheaper than the Panasonic and Rubycon ones. Example of my re-cappings. Capacitors used are Panasonic FM, Panasonic FR, Panasonic FK, Nichicon PS and Nichicon HE...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by lexwalker; 08-01-2013, 08:31 AM.

Comment

I wound up going with both [eBay] links

Sure, they look "right" in the pictures, but that's no guarantee you'll actually get real ones.

Comment

You're right, they do look genuine though

Comment

Well I'll share photos of what I receive

Comment

2 new ones I haven't seen before! Jwco and Shengw (ChengX knockoff?!) And they set new standard levels for BAD. All three of these caps failed in a wireless mouse after a year and a half. How embarrassing is that?
              Attached Files

Comment

That jwco i've seen in the past... the Shengw ... no, and it's funny.. yeah, definitely imitators.

Comment

What did you see the Jwco caps in? Were they failed as well? These were all in spec capacitance wise within 10% but the ESR was very high

Comment

Failing in a wireless mouse? From what stress? The vibration from the moving and clicking?
                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

USB chargers and small stuff like that, not power supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                        Failing in a wireless mouse? From what stress? The vibration from the moving and clicking?

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                        USB chargers and small stuff like that, not power supplies.
                        So also in a low stress areas, I can't imagine how fast they'd fail in the output of a PSU (if they even make those kind of caps)

Comment

I've seen that Jwco typeface somewhere else... *checks capacitors*

Maybe it is the same company after all. I have a Jwc (not Jwco) with the exact same script font. "X" vent, "VENT" word on label, and Helvetica (not Arial) for the main font. The Jwc cap also has a small '1' after the temperature rating, similar to the above image. This cap was 1000uF 25V 105°C (955uF/0.5 ohms when tested with the ESR70). I also have three small 10uF 50V Jwc caps as well, all three being ~10.3uF and 2.2-2.3 ohms ESR when tested.

Additionally, ZW caps (or "Zw", depending on the logo design) look practically identical as well, the only difference being the logo (a plain text ZW or Zw with the bottom of the Z forming an underline under the W, in a Times New Roman type font) and the lack of "VENT" written on the cap. The negative stripe and vent are exactly the same, and both have a plain flat bung and ratings in Helvetica.

Comment

So after some shipping problems with the post office, I got the caps finally

Comment

Found some pics while browsing the web.

First off, a blown CapXon unit from a "Velodyne" amplifier: http://www.avforums.com/forums/subwo...loded-cap.html
                              (pics are halfway down the page)

It seems these crappy "Velodyne" amps like to blow caps, even good branded ones!:
                              http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=253702
                              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

So after some shipping problems with the post office, I got the caps finally
                                Needs to post pictures of the vents and the bungs. That's where the fake manufacturers really screw up.

Comment

Cunngga, Long capacitors

I'm posting both of these unknown caps together because their font looks identical and I've never seen either of them before, and I assume they are poor quality. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has seen them before.

The "Cunngga" capacitors are in a Pixxo PSU, OEM'd by Key Mouse Electronics. Later I will see if they are truly 820uF

The "Long" caps are in a wireless receiver for an original Xbox controller that I decided to open solely on curiosity, they're both 100uF 16V, and for the record the controller barely works even with fresh batteries

And just for the fun of it I'm posting yet another failed KZG from an Intel 775 mobo. The computer was constantly freezing, I recapped the board for a customer and now it's stable. The ESR on this one was surprisingly only 4.1Ω
                                  Attached Files

Comment

JPCE-TUR caps from a Bestec ATX-123F. 9 caps on the output side, 9 failed caps pulled from board. Coincidence?
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Cunngga, Long capacitors

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                      I'm posting both of these unknown caps together because their font looks identical and I've never seen either of them before, and I assume they are poor quality. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has seen them before.

The "Cunngga" capacitors are in a Pixxo PSU, OEM'd by Key Mouse Electronics. Later I will see if they are truly 820uF

The "Long" caps are in a wireless receiver for an original Xbox controller that I decided to open solely on curiosity, they're both 100uF 16V, and for the record the controller barely works even with fresh batteries

And just for the fun of it I'm posting yet another failed KZG from an Intel 775 mobo. The computer was constantly freezing, I recapped the board for a customer and now it's stable. The ESR on this one was surprisingly only 4.1Ω
                                      Aw shit that's funny Cuntnigga or Cunngga or what?? they just typed random words!

Comment

Cunnilingga?

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
                                          Cunnilingga?
                                          beat me to it!

Comment

Working...
                                          X