This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

I have little direct experience with MBs, but pocketing lytics with hot components on all sides is never a good idea. Between the nice short and fat traces from the MOSFET Source leads to (apparently) the caps and the nice beefy Source bond wires inside the MOSFET, the heat of the MOSFETs would have been conducted very "nicely" from the MOSFETs to the cap leads connected to the Source leads. Beefy traces and wires are good conductors of heat as well as of current.
    Sometimes there is no choice but to crowd 'lytics around hot components given the meticulous design of a motherboard or power supply. Yes, heat can easily be conducted to other components through the PCB substrate and traces. Delta is one of the companies to have nicely avoided crowding lytics around other components in their PSU designs, at least their older ones.

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
    Folks here have mentioned that Delta seems to have mixed mediocre with good caps successfully, and I have no reason to doubt their word. When I worked at Delta, Lite On was one of the brands whose quality I would not disparage (likewise Astec, and several others). However, when our 4YO Dell desktop (full-sized mini-tower) would not turn on after cycling AC power the culprit was a small Ltec cap in the +5V Stby or PWM start-up circuit in a Lite On P/S; and several Ltec O/P caps were swollen or had puked some of their guts (plus an OST that was at an odd angle that might have popped its bung); Lite On had also used a couple of Taicons, which showed no outer sign of having a problem. So mixing low quality caps with good or decent stuff is a bit of a sore subject with me. That Dell had polymer caps on the MB, and was not cheap (max RAM and HDD for when we bought it). It should have lasted at least another 2 or 3 trouble-free years.
    Most series from LTEC (and just about every series I've seen from OST) will eventually fail quicker than not with enough heat and ripple current (ambient and internal heating) applied. The only series from LTEC that seems to be somewhat an exception to that, in my experience anyway, is LZG. LZP, LXY, LYZ, LTG, TH, TK, etc, I've seen fail on numerous occasions, have not seen too many failed LZGs though (besides very bad batches but that plagues upon all Taiwanese brands, including Taicon... anyway, LZG is rated for twice the endurance that LZP is with slightly larger case sizes and is about equal in ESR and ripple ratings).

LZG is the series Delta usually uses (or used to use more) and I know their PSUs (except maybe the really lower end ones) are engineered well enough for bad capacitors to last well beyond the useful life of the PSU, but I've seen LZG do surprisingly well in other places too (at least visually), such as Apple G4, G5, and IMAC PSUs, on +5VSB circuits, in SFF PSUs where all sorts of coils and capacitors are bunched up together, etc. The only place where I've actually seen them fail constantly is under discolorating heat of LCD monitors, or even scorchingly hot PSUs in LCD TVs, laptop bricks that can burn skin, or in cars where all areas pretty much have extreme temperature swings, and also when they're placed next to diodes that run so hot as to be discolorating, etc. Also, in power supplies where I do see capacitors visually bad, it's usually the Teapo SCs or CapXon GLs that go (again, visually) bad and not the LTEC LZGs. The original Xbox power supplies from Delta, like the ones from Foxlink, always had yellow warning labels on the heatsink - those things ran too hot to touch - yet the LZGs always survived.

Not saying LZG is good, I'm sure the aluminum foil has the same Taiwanese impurities (such as too much copper) that all Taiwanese capacitors pretty much have, just saying that their other series seem not to hold up nearly as well. Also, Lite-on PSUs usually have a pretty 'crowded' design despite the use of quality components minus the choice of capacitors and possibly ADDA sleeve bearing fans.
    Last edited by Wester547; 10-07-2013, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I found my original post about my Dell/Lite On P/S, and found that the Ltec caps that were vented or swollen were of the LZP series.
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Also, printer power supplies where LZGs are literally touching finless heatsinks are another area where they wouldn't last. Also, on the subject of Lite-on PSUs mixing Taicon with LTEC and OST, I don't really consider Taicon "good" capacitors... I know they're an off shoot of Nichicon but they do not obtain their materials from them. I (and other members here) have seen too many failed Taicon HDs on motherboards and even in Lite-on PSUs to consider them of good quality. I haven't seen a failed Taicon PW, VT, or PJ without some serious help, though.

Comment

I think of Taicon as somewhere between the generally good brands - Nichicon, Panasonic, Rubycon, and NCC/UCC - and generally poor quality brands. Basically I think Taicon will do better with careful layout and a good fan than would lesser brands.

Sometimes there is no choice but to crowd 'lytics around hot components given the meticulous design of a motherboard or power supply.
          MBs and P/Ss are both getting so packed as to verge on being thermal nightmares. Throw in clueless & careless users and some computers are likely to die within a couple of years.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Some bad Samxons: GS, GF and KM series
            Samxon GF capacitors usually bulge, but I have never seen a bulging Samxon GS or KM, and I come across failed caps from these series almost daily.

Here are some bad capacitors from today's repairs:

1:
            Two bad Samxon GS 22uF 400V, they couldn't even make it as primary capacitors.
            The lead was so corroded on the first cap it came off while desoldering, as you can see it corroded the PCB also
            ESR over 40 ohms on the second cap.

2:
            Samxon KM 1000uF 16V

3:
            Samxon KM 1000uF 10V

4:
            Samxon GF 1000uF 10V

5:
            Samxon GF 1000uF 16V

6:
            Samxon KM 470uF 16V

7:
            Samxon GS 220uF 16V

8:
            Samxon GS 100uF 35V
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jooo View Post
              Two bad Samxon GS 22uF 400V, they couldn't even make it as primary capacitors.
              The lead was so corroded on the first cap it came off while desoldering, as you can see it corroded the PCB also
              ESR over 40 ohms on the second cap.
              Always made me wonder if Samxon and CapXon are related. After all, CapXon did have quite a few problems with some of their high voltage caps failing due to corrosion on the leads.

Comment

Those Sanwha Capacitors.... cooked, inside Samsung LCD monitor
                Attached Files

Comment

Since that monitor is about 4 1/2 years old, I wonder whether the monitor design - marginal-lousy cooling - rather than poor quality caps is to blame for the caps' failure.
                  PeteS in CA

Comment

Interesting to see the discoloration on that one cap. Don't see that very often.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                      Interesting to see the discoloration on that one cap. Don't see that very often.
                      I noticed that too, maybe it got so hot that the paper separator burnt and it arced between the foils, causing that.
                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                        I've seen it only a few times.

One is a crappy HEC 10uF 50V cap from a JNC power supply. I think it was supposed to filter the auxiliary winding either for primary or secondary of the 5VSB circuit. ESR was over 200 Ohms last I checked.

The second time it was a dried up Samxon GS 85C cap from an LCD monitor full of linear regulators (talk about shitty design - the whole board was darkened!)
                        Normally Samxon GS caps have a medium-dark blue (Navy blue?) sleeve with light blue stripe. The darkened cap had a nearly black sleeve with dark gray stripe. There was another Samxon GS cap not too far from it with a very dark blue sleeve.
                        But that's what you get for cramming 4 linear regulators (2 of which, without heat sinks) to regulate voltages like 7V and 10V down to 3.3V and 5V at close to 1A.
                        This is the thread FYI:
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9645

Comment

I saw it quite a bit when caps I was torturing died. They got really hot, evidently scorched the filler paper inside and spewed.
                          PeteS in CA

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                            I've seen it only a few times.

One is a crappy HEC 10uF 50V cap from a JNC power supply. I think it was supposed to filter the auxiliary winding either for primary or secondary of the 5VSB circuit. ESR was over 200 Ohms last I checked.

The second time it was a dried up Samxon GS 85C cap from an LCD monitor full of linear regulators (talk about shitty design - the whole board was darkened!)
                            Normally Samxon GS caps have a medium-dark blue (Navy blue?) sleeve with light blue stripe. The darkened cap had a nearly black sleeve with dark gray stripe. There was another Samxon GS cap not too far from it with a very dark blue sleeve.
                            But that's what you get for cramming 4 linear regulators (2 of which, without heat sinks) to regulate voltages like 7V and 10V down to 3.3V and 5V at close to 1A.
                            This is the thread FYI:
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9645
                            The sleeve on that one appears to be the correct color, but the metal discolored around the vent.

Why is Korean stuff the same quality as really cheap Chinese crap, despite costing many times more?

Comment

They're Samwha, always been somewhere around Teapo quality. Sam Young/Korea Chemi-Con caps are marginally better. Not sure about Daewoo (seen these on millennium-era HP products).

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
                                They're Samwha, always been somewhere around Teapo quality. Sam Young/Korea Chemi-Con caps are marginally better. Not sure about Daewoo (seen these on millennium-era HP products).
                                Daewoo are in some CRT monitors. Never seen any that have failed, although, I haven't seen many daewoo caps in the first place.
                                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Daewoo changed name around 2000 , or got sold or merged or something and became Partsnic:

http://www.megastar.com/products/daewoo/

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                    Daewoo changed name around 2000 , or got sold or merged or something and became Partsnic
                                    So that's where Partsnic came from. I always thought that they were just a Panasonic knockoff.

Comment

Picture 1: Bad CapXon caps on a Samsung 19' screen
                                      Picture 2&3: Bad CapXon caps in a cheap PSU
                                      Picture 4: Bad yihcon caps in a old Point Of View Geforce4 AGP card
                                      Picture 5&6: Bad yicon caps in a MaxPower 350W PSU
                                      Picture 7&8: Bad KZG caps on a ASRock P4V88+
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by jm20101; 11-07-2013, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jm20101 View Post
                                        Picture 1: Bad CapXon caps on a Samsung 19' screen
                                        Picture 4: Bad yihcon caps in a old Point Of View Geforce4 AGP card
                                        Picture 5&6: Bad yicon caps in a MaxPower 350W PSU
                                        Picture 7&8: Bad KZG caps on a ASRock P4V88+
                                        i see conductive gorilla snot in the PSUs too.
                                        Last edited by goontron; 11-07-2013, 03:53 PM.
                                        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by jm20101 View Post
                                          Originally posted by goontron
                                          i see conductive gorilla snot in the PSUs too.
                                          Looks a lot like an older Bestec power supply. They are probably only one of the few manufactures that likes to mount caps high off the board like that. And yes, they loved to use general purpose CapXon, Teapo, and Jamicon in those older PSUs, along with conductive glue to hold them down.

If it's NOT an ATX-250-12E model, you should recap it as they are otherwise decent power supplies. If it IS an ATX-250-12E, consider doing a 5VSB mod of some sort (search BCN forums for more info). Otherwise be prepared to sacrifice some motherboards (either not or in the close future) if you use this PSU.

Comment

Working...
                                          X