LG L1717 Monitor cap failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG L1717 Monitor cap failure

I had a L1717 come in for repair. It is not an easy monitorto open up. First two screws must removed from what appears to be the stand mounting. These screws actually retain the front bezel, once removed the bezel can be prised off by first levering on the stand and lifting the back cover away from the bezel. The bezel can then be removed to gain access.

The cap problem. The power supply main filter cap 680uF 25V was blown apart. It was a a low grade (low ripple rating) Samxon. The rest of the Samxons gave no indication of stress. Apparently the main cap was not able to sustain the ripple long term (3-4 years). It was replaced with a Rubycon ZL that has great ripple ratings and all works fine.
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
    Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
    160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
    Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
    160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
    Samsung 18x DVD writer
    Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
    33 way card reader
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
    17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
    HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Re: LG L1717 Monitor cap failure

Hi i have this exact same monitor, same problem.
    Would it be possible, or not advisable to replace the capacitor with a 1000uf 25v?

Comment

Originally posted by rkelly
      Would it be possible, or not advisable to replace the capacitor with a 1000uf 25v?
      Not advisable for sure, get one that as +/- 50 uf or closer.
      i dont usually post but that jumped out at me.

Comment

Thanks, i'll wait till my next order and get an appropriate cap for this screen.

Comment

Originally posted by rkelly
          if its a proper low esr type go ahead.i often use panasonic fm in 1000/25 as that 680 is an oddball.
          only problem with this sub is size.check clearances.

Comment

I put the 1000uf in and its working just fine. Its a Hitano EXR series which i use for all my recapping, never had an issue with them, but allways use the same voltage / uf rating of the old cap. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

why that brand?

that brand sounds bad to me.

i'd use:

samxon
              rubycon
              panasonic
              nichicon
              chemicon
              sanyo

try not to cut corners... its bad when the square factory turns out circles.
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Its easy for me to get those capacitors. I get them from a wholesaler here in Australia called "WES components". I don't buy enough to get an account with bigger suppliers who might get different brands.

But I have not had any trouble with them yet, so i guess they are alot better than the ones i'm replacing.

The one that failed in this particular monitor was a Samxon, so i'd rather not use any of those.

Comment

Samxon are usually fine, except for GF series.
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge
                    Samxon are usually fine, except for GF series.

Yes it was a GF. I don't recap professionally (for customers), moreso as a hobby, saving things that are destined for the garbage, so if the Hitano's give up over time, i'll just recap them again.

Comment

Hitano is decent, IIRC.

Comment

ive had one of these (LG 1717S) for a while and couldnt figure out the problem.....unit would intermittantly not turn on...power supply would come up, but the power switch would not do anything.....

except occasionally....it would fall into a "groove" and work for a while....sometimes after playin with it...couldnt tell if I was actually doin anything....

I used an esr meter to find the worst caps, none of which were really horrible, and it turned out that a small cap on the line side of the switching supply was causing the pblm....not a really bad cap, not bulged...not exceptionally high in esr, cant really figure it...a small electrolytic 33uf at 50V....i put in a 47uf at 25V and measured the voltage at the cap...never went over 12V so ill leave it for a while and see what happens....

ive never seen anything on the line side of a switcher cause a problem like this....if theres a problem on that side, the whole power supply is usually out...and the unit was puttin out the 12 and 5...crazy.

Comment

what other capacitor can i use if i can not find the 680uf 25v 105 on this site?

Comment

Originally posted by cloudyminded View Post
                            what other capacitor can i use if i can not find the 680uf 25v 105 on this site?
                            If the dimensions are okay, check out this one at badcaps.net

Samxon 680uF 35v 10x20mm GT Series

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=111
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Just replaced a bad(leaking) SAMXON GF 680uF 25v on a power supply for an LG monitor. (this should be a nice solid replacement http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12390-ND)

Fwiw, I get my caps from DigiKey.com (if I can't find them on badcaps.net... ;-)

So far I've had great success with Panasonic FMs.

Happy capping!

AIP0157 LCD Power Board For L1719S,L1719C or L1919S
                              Last edited by thegeeknme; 02-03-2011, 01:39 AM. Reason: added power board model and applicable monitor models

Comment

bad idea to replace only the leaking one.
                                Samxon GF are replace on sight. all of them.
                                they die like flies for some reason.. unlike other samxon series..

also, LG apparently likes to use these as i've seen them in about 2 dozen of LG LCD monitors.. (17-22")

Comment

Originally posted by kena999 View Post
                                  ive had one of these (LG 1717S) for a while and couldnt figure out the problem.....unit would intermittantly not turn on...power supply would come up, but the power switch would not do anything.....

except occasionally....it would fall into a "groove" and work for a while....sometimes after playin with it...couldnt tell if I was actually doin anything....

I used an esr meter to find the worst caps, none of which were really horrible, and it turned out that a small cap on the line side of the switching supply was causing the pblm....not a really bad cap, not bulged...not exceptionally high in esr, cant really figure it...a small electrolytic 33uf at 50V....i put in a 47uf at 25V and measured the voltage at the cap...never went over 12V so ill leave it for a while and see what happens....

ive never seen anything on the line side of a switcher cause a problem like this....if theres a problem on that side, the whole power supply is usually out...and the unit was puttin out the 12 and 5...crazy.

Hi there, i also have a 1717s which is dead. when i plug it in, the green led shows up for a fraction of second, then dies. I read what you guys did on this forum and i managed to diassembly the thingie. Now thing is, im looking on the power supply and 2 components are foamy. one says c102 and the other is a th101 i guess. I am new in this and have no skills, i would like to know what would the replacements be, and where would i buy them in romania. I can solder, i did it before. Thank you, i feel like im blind and trying to put a nail into a wall. (i guess its kinda like that).

Comment

Can you post pictures of your boards - a close up of C102 so we can establish what "foamy" means.
                                    Do you have a multimeter
                                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                                      Can you post pictures of your boards - a close up of C102 so we can establish what "foamy" means.
                                      Do you have a multimeter
                                      Sadly no, i do not have a multimeter, i just moved in a new rent place. Also by foamy i mean leaked i guess. I did manage to take pics of the board, the c102 and another leaked one which says th101. i also took a pic of the whole board. im attaching them. Thx for your reply !
                                      Attached Files

Comment

There is good news and bad news.

Good news is "foamy" means nothing it is just glue to hold the parts in place.

Bad news is there are very very few tests we can do without a multimeter.
                                        Cant actually think of any except testing fuses with a battery and bulb.

and secondly I have to go out now so cant even talk you through that.

Meter will be essential - in uk I can get a cheap one for £3 and they are
                                        similar in US.
                                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
                                        X