X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    You mean you didn't pull any components off of it?? Not that there is much in there, but stilll... shame shame shame
    No, for me, scrapped means dissasembled and salveged, etc...

Ummm.... wrong guy?
    Okay, close enough. He's my Romanian neighbor after all
    LOL!!! Ooops

momaka, mariushm, momaka, mariushm ... easy to confuse between the two xD

Originally posted by Wester547
    Thanks for the explanation. I think you once found a 1000uF, 16V CapXon KM that bloated on its own in the -12V output of a Bestec... perhaps that self-regulating linear circuit is the reason?
    Maybe the PSU was heavily loaded, but the -12v was not, so it rose to over 16v and slowly killed the capacitor?
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
      Saturn caps We can blow you to Saturn and beyond! Isn't that great slogan?
      I know a few girls who use this slogan... I'm not sure that they're in the capacitor business though.

Comment

You associate with strange people, sir
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Oh, Deer Me! Another Deer, It was branded "Mirage", rated at 500W. It's similar to the A-Power in Post 685. Let's have closer look at it.

2A four diode treatment - check
          Tiny 330uF input caps - check
          13007 Switchers - check
          Very thin heat sinks - check
          EI-33 transformer - check
          Junk caps - check
          Two 3A fast recovery diodes on a bracket for the 12V rail - check
          Tiny secondary toroid coils - check
          No-name sleeve bearing fan with no oil in the bearings - check
          Big hot load resistors next to the secondary caps - check

And I think that about covers it. Horrible design from the ground up.

Sorry about the horrible picture quality. All I had was my tablet
          Attached Files
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Oh man that is horrible. Does the fan still spin?

Not able to supply a useful load in spec - check

Interesting, it looks like all of the Su'scon caps are good. Did this thing kill the motherboard it was connected to?

Also, can you post a picture of the label?

Comment

Lots of YC (planet) caps in that PSU...
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                Lots of YC (planet) caps in that PSU...
                Yuck. I'm surprised they wasted input filtering on this thing. Those are actually decent looking Y caps

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                  Oh man that is horrible. Does the fan still spin?
                  Yes, it does. It doesn't have any odd sounds either, although I've seen those same fans fail lots of times before

Interesting, it looks like all of the Su'scon caps are good. Did this thing kill the motherboard it was connected to?
                  I noticed that. It looks like Yang Chun are worse than Su'Scon. No, it didn't take the board with it. I replaced it with an In Win IP-S400EQ3-2 and the PC was fine.

Also, can you post a picture of the label?
                  No, I don't have the label. I peeled it off and tossed it before I took the pics. I transplanted the innards of a Dell H305P-00 PSU into its case.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Yes, it does. It doesn't have any odd sounds either, although I've seen those same fans fail lots of times before
                    I'm surprised, and judging by the dust it ran for a long time. A drop of oil and it might last a while assuming the motor isn't on its way out

I noticed that. It looks like Yang Chun are worse than Su'Scon. No, it didn't take the board with it. I replaced it with an In Win IP-S400EQ3-2 and the PC was fine.
                    That's embarrassing. Although I think the Su'scon also would have failed had they been on the 5VSB

No, I don't have the label. I peeled it off and tossed it before I took the pics. I transplanted the innards of a Dell H305P-00 PSU into its case.
                    Nice! The case must have lots of holes in it. Is it not one of the classic flimsy aluminum-esque cases?

Comment

^
                      The case wasn't too bad. It had plenty of ventilation (similar vent structure to the one in post 685), and even screw holes for a front 80mm fan (which I installed, after cutting out the area in front of it)

Comment

more openings to let the sparks/flames leave.
                        Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                        ^
                        The case wasn't too bad. It had plenty of ventilation (similar vent structure to the one in post 685), and even screw holes for a front 80mm fan (which I installed, after cutting out the area in front of it)

Comment

Not able to supply a useful load in spec - check
                          Yeah, that's a big one on the list .

Had a PSU like that. The lack of PI coils and missing caps made the PSU put out too much ripple even when powering a Pentium II PC!

Comment

Yeah, that's a big one on the list .

Had a PSU like that. The lack of PI coils and missing caps made the PSU put out too much ripple even when powering a Pentium II PC!
                            That's pathetic! Was it a Deer as well? Let me guess, one cap per rail <2200μF

Comment

Yeah, it was my LC-B300ATX. 2200uF for the 3V and 5V rails, 1000uF for the 12V rail. But no PI coils. Hence the ripple. I added the PI coils and more caps in it right now. Haven't posted a picture nor tested it yet with a computer, but I'm sure it's better.

Comment

250W continuous would entail some risk of an incendiary event. 500W? For how many picoseconds?! I also noticed it has what appear to be safety agency rated Y caps (2200pF, perchance?), and also a common mode input inductor and a somewhat puny looking inrush limiting thermistor (were the rest of the thing not so pathetically wimpy and it really could supply 500W continuous, that thermistor might do double duty as a night light).
                                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

That's a real crap in a sack there! Saturn logo fan, these fail too frequently...
                                  The board is scorched... Fire hazard! This PSU belongs to

Comment

^
                                    That's exactly where it went, except for the case

Comment

Maybe those cheap junk fans could be used to clear solder flux fumes when you do solder work. Or maybe as a fan for test loads. Finding "replacements" won't be difficult.

Technoid folk tend to have a strong packrat instinct.
                                      Last edited by PeteS in CA; 09-01-2013, 09:11 AM.
                                      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

^
                                        I agree with you, the fans are good enough only if we oil them, they can last a while, I'm actually very surprised that crappy power supply ran for that long on a computer!

Comment

Pixxo PL-500RPG

Weak Pixxo PSU made by Key Mouse. Looks pretty bad overall but it could be worse. The input caps are 820uF, I will have to see if they're actually 820uF. BR is 4A, those 2 Y caps are not safety approved. Uses fake Fairchild 13009 switchers.

Main transformer is pitiful. Besides the input all the caps are ChengX.

All the secondary silicon uses 20A schottky's for each rail. None of the rails have the option to add another in parallel. The toroids are small, missing caps on the secondary filtering. At least it has PI coils though... Fan is branded "kemex"

Oh and look at the 5VSB transformer, there's a cut lead leg under the transformer sticker

250W on a good day? Surely not 500W says Dr. Evil
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X