Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OSD pops up, LG Flatron W2361v

Hello,
    I have this monitor which OSD suddenly starts going crazy popping on/off continuously. After a while it may stop but for sure later will do the same.

1st thing to say I have disconnected the power and side button panels and continues to do it and
    2nd when I unplug the HDMI or DVI cable and is out of signal stops doing it.

It's like sth is triggering on the main board the OSD pop up

Re: OSD pops up, LG Flatron W2361v

try a different cable and clean the plug.

Comment

it's just a control button problem. they all need to be replaced, be sure to flush the board.
      https://monitor.net.ru/forum/threads/552171/
      Last edited by ulyanoff; 03-11-2021, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ulyanoff View Post
        it's just a control button problem. they all need to be replaced, be sure to flush the board.
        https://monitor.net.ru/forum/threads/552171/
        I think you didn't read the initial post. Both power board and menu board are taken off. So clearly it's not another button fix

Comment

That's a strange issue indeed that the menu pops up when the button boards are disconnected. Perhaps there is a noise issue with one of the power rails. Could we see some picture of your logic board, please? If there are any crappy cap brands, I would go ahead and replace them, just to be sure they are not the issue.

Comment

Re: OSD pops up, LG Flatron W2361vjkj

I found a diagram from another thread so I upload it here.
            There is also another symptom I didn't notice the HDMI has stopped working.
            I don't know for the VGA source, I don't have a cable now.

I am thinking maybe chip IC305 starts going bad or another chip maybe.
            I run through the diagram and I am thinking maybe I can workaround it to cut the line sending the random commands to the main IC.
            I don't know if I read it right but if I cut line from pin 71 and 72 maybe it stops the random commands.
            Attached Files

Comment

Re: OSD pops up, LG Flatron W2361vjkj

Originally posted by Sraros View Post
              I am thinking maybe chip IC305 starts going bad or another chip maybe.
              Why would you assume that?
              Chips like these almost never go bad, unless some external source massively damages them with a voltage spike... and in most cases, that's fatal to these chips and monitor stops working altogether.

Again, I suggest you open your monitor and post some pictures of the power supply and logic board. There's a really good chance the issue could be from bad electrolytic caps, especially the small ones on the logic board - even if none of them look bad.

I run through the diagram and I am thinking maybe I can workaround it to cut the line sending the random commands to the main IC.
              I don't know if I read it right but if I cut line from pin 71 and 72 maybe it stops the random commands.
              Give it a try and see. From what I can decipher, the only two other data pins going out of IC305 (besides SDATA and SCLK, which are bi-directional) are the HDMI L and R audio channels. So I don't think that's going to change anything. Note, however, that both SDATA and SCLK are pulled up to 3.3V from resistors R357 and R358... so if the 3.3V rail has a dirty power output from bad caps, that could be making it back into the SDATA and SCLK lines.

Thus, I still stand by checking the electro caps on the logic/scaler board.

Comment

I assumed it because I read it in that post I found with the schematics too.
                It was another chip but not that they can't fail.. I have seen them fail also on LCD panel boards or others.
                Anyway I am open to suggestions always and I will look for the 3.3v rail too.
                The caps of the main board I checked them with an ESR meter look fine and even changed three of them that looked on the limit.

I will focus on the 3.3v rail. There's another story behind that might also head towards that.

When the first OSD pop ups started, it was only the side buttons randomly being pressed. The side buttons board connect to the power button board and then to the main board. So when I removed the side button board I expected the problems to end. Then to my amaze I saw it's still doing it, and checked the power board and found a burnt smd diode. I replaced it, nothing. I took out all boards nothing. So I am thinking maybe these burnt diode is also because of the 3.3v rail.
                Attached Files

Comment

I fixed this issue as well. also HDMI didn't work. Simply replacing the capacitors in the power supply and also on the main board eliminated the problem completely. HDMI is working! is it also possible that the edid (24c02) chip has lost data? then there will be no image either. replacement of containers - 10 minutes. Just try it (preferably low esr quality brands)

Comment

I changed all the caps on the mainboard but the monitor still does the same thing and the HDMI still doesn’t work

Comment

What is the white stuff on ic101? it almost looks like the residue from water. I would try cleaning the ic and pins with ipa and see if that fixes the problem. Whatever it is it could be slightly conductive causing the switch input pins to false trigger.

Comment

It’s the residue of a sticker. I removed it to see the chip’s part number

Comment

I have the same problem with this monitor. It's driving me crazy.

The OSD keeps popping up randomly.

I don't have any issues with HDMI input though.

This monitor has so many quality issues. First, the ON/OFF button is touch type and always fails, making monitor turning off on its own.

You can solve this by totally removing/disconnecting the ON OFF board.

Then monitor suddenly one day completely stopped working.

opened case and found some bad caps on power supply board

replaced them and monitor is working again

but the issue with the OSD menu going crazy remains.

I checked caps on main board optically and with micro esr meter and found ok.

This model was very cheap and had great image quality, even though it had a TN panel, so it was best seller here in Greece.

@sraros, did you have any luck trying to isolate the signal from the IC305 going yo main IC?

Comment

I had the monitor aside as I was working on other ones. I will run a final test on the 3.3V rail and if it remains stable I will try to isolate temporarily the signal by cutting the rail. Probably it will stop all functions but better this than the annoying OSD. I will post again soon

Comment

I hooked 2 DMM on 3.3V and 5V rails and they are stable when the OSD starts going crazy.
                              I cut the lines to pins of main IC of SDATA and SCLK. I was about to call it victory when the OSD started popping randomly eventually, again. Plus… the monitor now delays to start up after plugging it in. I will cut next the lines to IC305 and see what happens.

Comment

This is my main monitor unfortunately, so I am very interested to hear again from you how next test went

Comment

I had a hard time restoring the cut lines to the main IC. I should have cut carefully in two separate points.
                                  Anyway, now that I restored into original condition I will give another shot by replacing again for third time the 3.3V rail caps in the weekend. This whole thing doesn’t make sense though.
                                  IC305 is audio related. IC103 is EEPROM.
                                  So.. Even with a problem in 3,3V rail and since the lines were cut just before the main IC it should interrupt any signal entering the main IC right? So how does the menu pop-up work? Even if the EEPROM went crazy it could affect the audio and HDMI but still not the IC.
                                  I am just wondering here of how the whole process works

Comment

OK, I just took a deeper dive into the SM, and it appears the input signals from the button board connect to pins 14 and 15 of the main IC: "KEY0" and "KEY1", page 23 of the SM.

What I don't see on the SM is a schematic of the touch button board. Could we have a picture of that here? Is there an IC on the button touch board? I just want to see so I can get an idea of what the signals should look like (i.e. analog DC voltage or digital signal from a touch IC.)

Anyways, even without that, I do have one suggestion that may or may not work, if you would like to try it out: install/solder two 47-100 nF ceramic caps between pin 14 and ground as well as pin 15 and ground of the main IC. This should (hopefully) reduce any noise going into those pins and possibly stop the menu from popping up.
                                    ... but it may not do anything either. Try at your own risk. I don't think it can/should cause any damage to any component, but it's not an experiment I have done either.
                                    The ceramic caps -don't- need to be soldered directly to the main IC pins... but the closer they are, the better this may work.

Alternatively, perhaps increase the capacitance of C333 and C334 by either replacing them or soldering another ceramic cap on top of them. Again, I *think* 47-100 nF may do the trick here, but not 100% sure. You could also try higher capacitance values, perhaps up to 1 uF. I don't see any resistors installed in spots R305 and R324, so that means the SDATA and SCLK lines are -not- connected to KEY0 and KEY1 signals, therefore installing bigger caps across C333 and C334 should not affect SDATA and SCLK any of the signals.
                                    Last edited by momaka; 02-08-2022, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Hello once again. Thanks for pointing out SDATA and SCLK are not connected.Epic fail I didn’t see it. Anyway I tried a more “brutal” shot and cut the lines right after R373 and R321 so the pins KEY0 and KEY1 on main IC are not connected at all. Still nothing and it drives me crazy… I will try one last thing before I call it defeat…
                                      I will go back to the 3.3 rail and put more filter caps of 10times scale maybe this helps overall.
                                      I also saw another thing reading the manual again. Page 10 in the block diagram, the OSD is inside the main IC. But still can’t figure out how it activates. Tried to find a datasheet of the IC but no results.

Comment

Anyway I tried a more “brutal” shot and cut the lines right after R373 and R321 so the pins KEY0 and KEY1 on main IC are not connected at all. Still nothing and it drives me crazy… I will try one last thing before I call it defeat…
                                        Cutting the KEY0 and KEY1 lines may not do anything if the noise is generated from within the IC and making those pins trigger... which is why I suggested to add some ceramic capacitors between pin 14 and ground and pin 15 and ground. Pin 14 and 15 are your KEY0 and KEY1 pins. If the ceramic caps don't do it, and extra filtering on the 3.3V rail doesn't do it... yeah, then probably not much you can do about it. It could be that the IC is failing too.

Comment

Working...
                                        X