Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to block copy from network access

hi
    there is a small company have 4 computers and server with windows server 2016
    all computers are entered into the server by local users, and there is shared folders on server with limited access to every computer
    my question is there any method to disable copping form all shared folders on this server, but jest disable copy form server not paste on it.
    my client want his team copy from their computers and paste on any shared folders on server, on the other way can not copy anything from shared folders to their computer.
    or any way to disable copy on windows server for all users include network or usb drive, but as i mentioned just copy because they want to add data on server.
    i don't know if i explained enough, so anyone understand me PLZ let me know any solution

thank you

Re: how to block copy from network access

This isn't really a "network" problem, rather a control access rights problem.
    Problem is any permission to read the file implicitly allows people to copy the file outright. If you give no read access but allow write access...

So you need to rethink how the data is being shared/distributed/worked and this depends on exactly what data you're trying to do with the data - need details, from type and quantity of data. Usually people end up using some sort of transactional database to deal with things like this where the database is hidden and individual records are only available by query.

Comment

you can try copy protect files.

Comment

Active Directory Rights Management Services or RMS is what you need to use.
        It's quite common to block users from saving on their personal PCs and just have them saving on the server.

Comment

if you can view a file then it's in your ram - and can be saved.
          likewise, if you can run an encrypted file then an unencrypted copy exists in ram - and can be saved.

Comment

If you have read access, you de facto have copy acess as well. But you can disable saving files on the computers by using registry or GPO if you have active directory.
            Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
            1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
              This isn't really a "network" problem, rather a control access rights problem.
              Problem is any permission to read the file implicitly allows people to copy the file outright. If you give no read access but allow write access...

So you need to rethink how the data is being shared/distributed/worked and this depends on exactly what data you're trying to do with the data - need details, from type and quantity of data. Usually people end up using some sort of transactional database to deal with things like this where the database is hidden and individual records are only available by query.
              i spoke with client today, He thinks it's simple
              just want disable copying from server to anything like usb or from shared folders to local computer
              and in the same time his team can add and edit files on shared folders on server
              about kind of files, can be anything especially word, excel, pdf files

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                you can try copy protect files.

files always changed edited and added by team from local computers to shared folders

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                  Active Directory Rights Management Services or RMS is what you need to use.
                  It's quite common to block users from saving on their personal PCs and just have them saving on the server.
                  the point is my client want to protect his files on server from copying especially from shared folders
                  but in the same time These shared folders always receive more files from the team
                  so the request is if i put any file on shared folder, then i can open it or edit and save changes, but i can not copy this file on my local computer again

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
                    If you have read access, you de facto have copy acess as well. But you can disable saving files on the computers by using registry or GPO if you have active directory.
                    i want just disable copying
                    because all team works on this files on server they copy personal files to shared folders and edit and saved changes on it
                    the request is this files or shared folder on server cannot be made Copies on local computers again

Comment

maybe FTP is the answer

Comment

If you can and need to read the whole file(s) then you can copy the whole thing. That's the problem.

Depending on the specific contents of the file, there are ways people have been using to deal with multiple people editing. Databases, distributed software development systems, CMS, etc. are all tools available to manage this problem.

Comment

yea but i think the OP's client just wants copy disabled to throw off the tech unsavvy. but its implementing "disable copy" in an insecure way. hackers or anyone savvy enuff with tech can still read the file and transfer/copy/move/dump the contents elsewhere. so just use directory rights management of some sort but beware the warning that eccerr0r said: if u can read the file, u can certainly copy the contents elsewhere through some other method.

Comment

the other thing these days, if it's text and it can be viewed - it can be photographed with a phone.
                            (or a pen, or a keyfob etc!)

Comment

No not really, it seems the OP is expecting people to "edit" the file and copy right back to the shared server so other people can also have "hot" data instead of people having forked versions of the file causing a mess to re-merge all the data back... That's why I'm thinking the model the OP has is wrong - need to re-think how to deal with this data.

But again more information of the content of the file would be helpful to know what to do here. If it's like a word document or something, that's probably the worst case scenario perhaps...

Comment

GIT, CVS, Bazar etc may be worth a look.
                                lots of revisioning systems used by programmers that keep track of changes and history

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  if you can view a file then it's in your ram - and can be saved.
                                  likewise, if you can run an encrypted file then an unencrypted copy exists in ram - and can be saved.
                                  This is from the Microsoft Active Directory Rights Management Website...

Notice you cant even paste from your clipboard, content that is protected with that service ...

Comment

Just because it might say the file is not accessible does not mean anything sometimes is best to check and make sure that it doing what you think you want it to

I once worked at a place that had a remote sign computer and the IT person said one day in a meeting that you could not delete anything or make changes to any files

This the wrong thing to tell me because I going to try anyway so one day when I was alone in the room I went file explorer and picked a file and I tried to delete it well guess what I got the warning message are surge you want to delete of course I did not delete anything but when I saw the IT person I said to him are sure that you can not delete anything from this sign in computer he said I am sure about that oh really did you try to make sure that you can not delete anything

A few days later I saw him and he said I know for sure you can not do it now

This is the wrong thing to tell me I tried it again this time it says access denied this time it was done correctly and when I saw again a few days later he said to me thank you for bringing it to my attention
                                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 11-27-2023, 10:31 PM.
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply
                                    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
                                    X