Whirlpool Refrigerator LED lights flickering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whirlpool Refrigerator LED lights flickering

I did see a caution with the Whirlpool AC/DC LED power board- if you power it up and then connect the LED string, it blows up the LED's.
    It seems you must have a load on it (at J2) or the output capacitor charges to high voltage.
    This means a flickering LED would surge everything and basically beat up the LED's.

11-14 Volts DC is normal for each auxilliary LED board at their J2. 4 LEDS in the freezer LED module, and 4 LEDS in the crisper LED module. So that string is 22-28VDC. You can test each aux module with a bench power supply at ~12VDC and a 100 ohm series ballast resistor.

There's 4 LEDS in the "diamond" main AC/DC LED power board and I'm not sure where they are in the picture, if it's a triple-series 33-42VDC string?

Attached W10714503 Whirlpool/Kenmore refrigerator, Literature and Service and Wiring sheet W10714502, Schematics W10449677, Service Information W10503846
    Attached Files

Comment

Tks redwire... hmmm Calgary here, well now in California. That service sheet is way easier to follow and read than mine. Mine is smaller with many more lines. Now you tell me to connect the LED first. :-)

What I am liking at the moment is your suggestion about the COB's and the G9 from post 31. The COB's from what I can tell require a heatsink , at least the ones the Grow Light guys are using. So , I am liking the G9 LED light as the easiest solution and give up the Fade.

Interested in your comment the Larger COB at 30 watts being to high,, where as the G9 rating as say 35watts is the equivalent but actual is only 3.5 watts which should work out to only .029 amp. The G9's seem to be 3000K , I think that should be OK.

So I am thinking the existing wiring should be fine and handle this just fine. Unless you are anyone else thinks it's a bad idea, I will pick up one 35watt and give it go just in the top refer side for now and see....

Comment

Ok boys and girls, here is leg one of my experiment and thanks for the suggestions and help and special shootout to redwire for the G9 suggestion, I wouldn't have thought of that one. Home Depot and bought this, I wanted instant gratification so yeah payed more but I only got one for testing. Link below.

Package says 35 watts 350 lumens 3000K so it's on the "Warm" side white. 3.5 watts at 3hrs a day annual cost to run is .42 US Cents, :-)

Ohms law says, 3.5 watts/ 118 v = .029 amp Bench tested with my cheap meter .022 so there you go, not much.

Now I have only hooked up the Top Refer side light. Works like a charm. FYI , The G9 bulb designed to go into a socket ( of which you could do ) but I tried to solder, I went through the loop and twisted real nice and soldered away, that should do it, Nope. I don't know what the wire on the bulb is but I didn't want to take any solder. I got it about as hot as I was comfy with , didn't want to melt the plastic... so, cut that off and used a solderless crimp connector direct on the end of the bulb, you have to trim back the plastic end a bit so it will fit all the way on..

In the refer the plan was wire nuts until I figure out the other two lights but I cut off the J1 connector and used the other end of the crimp connector for now.

The light itself is just sitting inside the lens frame , circuit board removed of course, seems fine so far.

On the Bench, I thought 35 Watts was too bright and 3000K a tad yellow for reference. Once in the refer and up in the lens frame it's about right. Not as White and the stock LED's but not bad. Brightness, I think it's pretty close to stock. I kept thinking old school we used 40 Watt bulbs usually so I thought 35 should do it. That being said, I think I would also be happy with say a 25W and step up to something over 3000K for a bit whiter light. So this is my benchmark, and will see what else is out there. But I can live with this...

I will get you pic soon... :-) I see the light....
        https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Ele...HDRP/309790442

Comment

Here is a pic for reference... I would say it's brighter than the pic shows as maybe the light shut the camera down a tad looking direct into it.
          Attached Files

Comment

Congrats on finding a solution. The G9's are much more powerful but I thought small enough to fit. Ikea has some small LED's too and eBay has lamp sockets.

The caution about plugging in the LED's last was at a European appliance parts website, over warranty for the board. I didn't think much about it.

The original 5630 LED's are rated 0.5W each (3V@150mA), so 2W/12V per fixture and 6W/36V total.
            I could not find a small 36V LED 150mA power supply, the 36V league is for twice the power (12W up) and almost an inch thick so too fat.
            Then you could put in 3W LED modules and keep the stock crisper/freezer 12V LED boards.

Comment

looks nice and bright, what is the solution?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave125 View Post
                looks nice and bright, what is the solution?
                Hi Dave

See post #44 above. Cut off the circuit board and crimped on a G9 bulb. As the post says, this was my test light, I have only connected the top Refer side light so far and I am shopping for the other two. While I can live with this bulb just fine I am leaning towards a bit whiter. This one is 3000K and I am looking for about 5000K. So far they don't seem to be available as 35W, so most likely go to 40W ( that is Equivalent Watts, they are actually 3.5W )

So the only real trick is, you need some solderless ( crimp ) connectors, the Blue ones and most wire strippers have the crimper built in. The issue is the wire on the bulb could be Tungten maybe, solder won't stick to it. Or , you could also buy the G9 plugs. I have looked at the plug dimensions, I was fine direct wired. You have 3/8" up and 5/8" into lens cover so 1" OD max but 7/8" might be safer.

When I do decide and get then hooked up, I will post the results. Ebay or Amazon, looks like I will get 5 or 6 Pack around $ 11.00

Comment

Originally posted by Log_on_Bob View Post
                  Hi Dave

See post #44 above. Cut off the circuit board and crimped on a G9 bulb. As the post says, this was my test light, I have only connected the top Refer side light so far and I am shopping for the other two. While I can live with this bulb just fine I am leaning towards a bit whiter. This one is 3000K and I am looking for about 5000K. So far they don't seem to be available as 35W, so most likely go to 40W ( that is Equivalent Watts, they are actually 3.5W )

So the only real trick is, you need some solderless ( crimp ) connectors, the Blue ones and most wire strippers have the crimper built in. The issue is the wire on the bulb could be Tungten maybe, solder won't stick to it. Or , you could also buy the G9 plugs. I have looked at the plug dimensions, I was fine direct wired. You have 3/8" up and 5/8" into lens cover so 1" OD max but 7/8" might be safer.

When I do decide and get then hooked up, I will post the results. Ebay or Amazon, looks like I will get 5 or 6 Pack around $ 11.00
                  thanks, any updates would be great. do you mean these kind of crimp connectors (attached)? so crimp on to wire and then slide each on to bulb end connector?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Dave

Let's see, the devil is in the details. I didn't try that style, I used what is called a Butt Connector which is still a Solderless Connector. If you have a Harbor Freight near the assortment pack is really cheap.

Things to think about,,, I only connected the top light so far and MY plan is to redo the connector anyway but I don't have the next two bulbs yet.

The connectors are color coded for wire size range, the proper color for the Refer wire would be the Red connector 16-22 Pretty sure the refer wire is 18Ga. ah, but the Red connector won't fit over the bulb wire, so I used the Blue Connector, 16-14GA and I lightly squeezed one side to OVAL that end a bit so it would go over the Bulb Wire,then crimped it hard.

With the Butt Connector I also trimmed back the end only for the Bulb side so it would slide further onto the bulb, just the Blue Plastic flush with the metal.

I choose to crimp both sides on the bulb first and spend less time in the refer crimping with the door open.

Now the style you posted the Female stake on, I don't have a bulb to test fit ( I do have that style, Red and Blue) could probably made to work. The metal is very soft and can be bent easily to reshape it bit if you had to. You might have to open it up a bit first, I don't know without trying it. But, If I used that style I would still attach to the bulb first and maybe get some electrical tape around the connector or heat shrink tube as they would be exposed.

When I cut off the Refer Plug, that is the wider one I left about a 1/2" of wire in case this didn't work I could crimp it back on. **** I taped the Door Light Switch Closed *** better bet would be to unplug the Refer **** your call.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hey Dave

Thought I would post a pic of just the top light so far.
                      Attached Files

Comment

since posting early on this thread I gave up on repair and put a 120v replacement led in as I see now a few others have done. It's a friends fridge that I haven't seen so I ignored anything with the freezer side because idk what kind of insulation goes to the freezer. I made a whip for the 120v to connect this $8 lamp from home depot. only problem imo maybe it gets hot,185f, if left on for long periods but it shouldn't be a problem inside the fridge. Bonus it's rated for damp locations

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Ele...783759%7D%3Aqu

Comment

Originally posted by fanplant View Post
                          since posting early on this thread I gave up on repair and put a 120v replacement led in as I see now a few others have done. It's a friends fridge that I haven't seen so I ignored anything with the freezer side because idk what kind of insulation goes to the freezer. I made a whip for the 120v to connect this $8 lamp from home depot. only problem imo maybe it gets hot,185f, if left on for long periods but it shouldn't be a problem inside the fridge. Bonus it's rated for damp locations
                          You might have a look at this module it is very bright the one down side is that at 50 volts it gets very warm very fast which means that you do need a heat sink

https://www.goldmine-elec-products.c...?number=G24031

I just bought 6 of them
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply
                          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

But Sam, that module runs on DC, you need a separate Driver for it plus it says Blinding White that you can't even look at, well at some angle but that top light is right in your face when you open the door. But sure, advise how it works out.

Comment

Ok, after a lot of procrastinating I pulled the trigger on Amazon. 6 pcs for $ 14.99 delv'd this Tuesday. Could got em cheaper on Ebay but delivery was Mid Oct to Nov or bad reviews or a multiple of reasons and I have been taking too long so... We shall see how it goes. Plan is to Wire in Parallel for even brightness. Stepped up a bit to 40W and 5000K. Like I said, the 35W 3000K I can live with, but want to go a bit more Daylight White.

https://www.amazon.com/Equivalent-Da...ustomerReviews

Comment

Thanks for the picture above, that helps. Though I may wait to see how this develops further

Comment

Ok, the lights in the above post #54 arrived today. I exchanged the 35W 3000K that I could live with but, this 40W 5000K is it. 5000K is described as Daylight and both the wife and I like these better.

I pulled for the first time the existing lower Refer and Freezer lights. Popped out the circuit boards. I was hoping the top pair of Red-Red/Yellow was going to the lower light and then a second pair to the Freezer, not going to happen. It is wired in series as we thought so the Red/Yellow goes to the Freezer, then a Grey wire goes to the lower Refer and the Red goes up to the Top Refer light. With the wires built in, not so sure and other wires can be pulled through just yet.

The lights claim their operating voltage is 110-130v A/c No problem for the Top light but in series the Freezer and Lower Refer if in series would be in theory near half 118v. I plan to bench test 2 lights in series but I have to go away til this Saturday.

Will advise how it went then... sorry.

Comment

Two new pics same time of the day, 35W 3000K and the new 40W 5000K
                                    Attached Files

Comment

nice, and the light turns off with the door switch?

and if I understand correctly, the new fridge light means no lights in the lower fridge or freezer? (I'm ok with that as it is better than the strobe light I currently have)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave125 View Post
                                        nice, and the light turns off with the door switch?

and if I understand correctly, the new fridge light means no lights in the lower fridge or freezer? (I'm ok with that as it is better than the strobe light I currently have)
                                        Hey Dave

Trouble posting on my tablet, more this Sat. when I return. The Door Switch works just fine. I have only connected the top light so far. The Freezer light will be a must but may give up the lower refer light due to the wiring being in series rather thatn in parellel

Comment

That's a good idea. You could eliminate the lower fridge light, clip its connector and splice those two wires together. Then you feed 120v on to the output connector at the upper fridge light and get 120v across the 2 wires in the freezer. 2 good lights is better than 3 flickering lights.

Added a schematic:

Attached Files
                                          Last edited by bluto; 09-19-2019, 09:04 PM. Reason: added schematic

Comment

Working...
                                          X