Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light bulb flicker when turning on after long time off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light bulb flicker when turning on after long time off.

Hello. I have question. I dont know if i have faulty wiring,bad installation or its bulb. When i have lights off long time and turn on lightning ( bulb halogen ) , there is a for 2-3 second bulb dimm/flicker and its normal. Happens only when lightning is off long time and i turn on.

When i turn off lights and turn on again its fine. That flicker/dimm happens only when lights are off long time.
    That happens for example if i have lights off 2-3 hours and turn on.
    Thx

Re: Light bulb flicker when turning on after long time off.

if it really is halogen then you have a bad socket, switch or a problem with the wiring.
    maybe a terminal needs tightning.

Comment

Why it happens only after lights are off for long time?

Bulb looking like that here:
      https://www.destinationlighting.com/...17150~zoom.jpg
      Last edited by sew333; 02-16-2021, 02:09 PM.

Comment

that is a PL type flourescent lamp, not halogen.
        so forget everything i said.

for a flourescent lamp it could indicate the tube is getting old.
        but they always start a bit dim when they are cold anyway.

one thing i found with those, if your using an adapter that goes into a regular lamp holder then they have a capacitor in them that will fail over time.
        but it's easy to clip them open and replace it.

Comment

Not sure if it's "new" versus "always like this" behavior?

Those four pin fluorescent tubes all seem to do that for me if you have a traditional/old type auto starter coupled with a magnetic ballast. The two pin PL-13 has the old starter built in, and coupled with a magnetic ballast, and thus it behaves the same way.

Replacing the starter with an electronic starter will help, though I'd swap the starter and the ballast to an electronic one, I hate those old starters lol...

Comment

the one in the pic is 4pin so probably driven by a high frequency invertor

Comment

That remains to be ascertained but for sure the neon starter + mag ballast system will flicker before lights on as normal behavior ...

... and after using electronic/high frequency inverter ballasts, I hate the flickering. I have one of those linear T8 13W desk lamps that I threw out the old starter and magnetic ballast and replaced them with the guts of an "instant on" electronic ballast CFL whose heater burned out...

Lights On Flicker Free Bliss.

Comment

my desklamp just has the on off switch that you hold in for about 6 to ten seconds then let it out and it lights up . no starter . and no flicker .

Comment

Yep, that's the "manual start" fluorescent... which I despise even more than the flickery auto-start. It's good to fire and forget lamps like incandescent, having to hold the button down until it strikes is annoying

Comment

There issues with this type of light bulb and the blast if it the old fashion is the starters if it is electronic version sometimes depending on the version it has a tendency to fry the bulbs if they are in a can type of fixture
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply
                    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      but they always start a bit dim when they are cold anyway.
                      Many CFLs are usually only a bit dim when cold-started, but some are extreme, some look like I'm starting up a metal halide or an HPS!

I've seen TCP CFLs start up like an HPS!

CFLs usually are somewhat dim at startup, but not as pronounced as 48-inch T12s and 48-inch T8s, where the Phillips Alto II 48-inch T8s often have a wavy pattern when cold, especially my 6K-rated Alto II 48-inch T8s.
                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-16-2021, 06:11 PM.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

only a communist "green eco nut" would create a 4foot T8!!

besides, they may be the same length as a T12 or the older big ones, but they obviously have a much smaller surface area.
                        so your overdriving the fuck out of it to get the Lumens and the lifespan will be short.
                        followed by a trip to the landfill to add a bit more phosfor and mercury to the pile!!!

i really miss my 5foot 65w "fat" tube i had in my old place.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          only a communist "green eco nut" would create a 4foot T8!!
                          These are crap light bulbs 4 foot T8 54 watt you would be lucky if they last a year
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply
                          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                            These are crap light bulbs 4 foot T8 54 watt you would be lucky if they last a year
                            Mine are 32-watt.

I also have plenty of 48-inch T12s! (40-watt)

IIRC, the 54-watt ones are usually T5s!
                            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-17-2021, 06:04 PM.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Using the F32T8's in the old magnetic ballasts will probably burn out in that year...
                              Should be using electronic ballasts with the T8's.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                                Using the F32T8's in the old magnetic ballasts will probably burn out in that year...
                                None of my F32T8s are connected to a electro-magnetic ballast. They are all the new type, much like T5s.

But I still get that familiar wavy pattern with my 6K-rated ones when cold.
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

So why that bulb dimm/flicker shortly for a moment only when lights was off few hours?

Comment

Post a picture of the bulb and the socket.

Comment

Without removing any of the bulbs:

(The cord was scuffed when I bought the fixture, IIRC, LOL)
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-18-2021, 12:51 AM.
                                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Originally posted by sew333 View Post
                                        So why that bulb dimm/flicker shortly for a moment only when lights was off few hours?
                                        a flourescent tube contains a drip of mercury,
                                        when you turn it on from cold it has to heat the mercury to make it vaporise and spread through the tube for the tube to start and light evenly.
                                        thats why sometimes when you turn it on you may see the ends glow - that's the heaters

Comment

Working...
                                        X