Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nikon Coolpix P520 - Not working properly | Short

Hi,

I got a Nikon Coolpix P520 in a defective condition, few weeks ago. The battery is a 3.7V 1000mA Li-Ion battery, it was almost completely discharged.

The symptons (back in time):
    -Not starting
    -Not charging

Disassembled, then found few things. There was a short on the line of the battery feed rail and the USB charger port's fuse was also wrong.
    Fed 3.7V to the battery line with a bench PS and a small ceramic capacitor warmed up next to the battery positive point. Just removed this cap and confirmed, it was bad. There is no any sign or schematic available for this model, so decided to do not replace this cap, just left as it is. Also put a temporary connection to make the USB working (I dont know the fuse value which was there, and to be honest dont care).

Now the camera is able to start, but not all the way and not all the time.
    In example:
    -If everything is assembled, then its sometimes starts, sometimes not starting, even if there is nothing turned on, consuming above 1Amps, and the LCD 32 pin connector and the wire itself heating up very quickly.

If its starts for some reason, there is absolutely fine picture on the LCD screen, but few moments later the screen disappears and become a black screen on the LCD, with background light.

-If i go for deattach the LCD from the end of the 32pin cable, but the cable still connected to the board, still the same. Wire heating up, in OCP the PS buzz, as it's a short in the circuit.

-If i remove the connected 32pin cable completely from the board, when I feed with power, its consuming few hundreds of milliamps for 1-2 seconds then return to 0, what should be the normal behavior.
    In this case, the camera fully functional, just I dont have LCD, so can see the pic in the hole (you know), but Zoom fully working, exponation button, etc. what I just tried out.

The question now, how to get the root cause?! (Any idea would be really great, because I'm stucked now)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by arpii; 11-23-2021, 09:25 AM. Reason: adding pictures
Working...
X