X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
    As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread "clean" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
    So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
    where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said "w00t.. they have a forum"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
    Thank You Admin I appreciate this forums.God Bless! Newbies Here!

Comment

Hello...

Comment

12 thousand pages, that's impressive. Curious if anyone reads these.. Either way..
        I'm Malacath, some people can't be bothered to write all that out and just say Mal.
        Got a broken TV and I felt this was a good time to learn a bit more about electronics than what I know. In my search for an active forum I stumbled on this one, looks very promising. I hope I can get some support here.
        <3

Comment

Hey everyone!

Comment

Hello from Germany!

Comment

Hello everyone,
              This is Jesse and I am from USA.

Comment

Hello everyone from Siberia!

Comment

Hello everyone, this is nico from France. I have joined this forum because I have a Marshall stanmore that i would like to repair, but while lurking i found plenty of other interesting subjects. I hope i will soon be able to add my stone to this community

Comment

Hello, I'm Tubers from the U.S.

30+ years in I.T., Engineering and all kinds of DIY (auto, home, refrigeration, cooking, etc.)

Comment

Hello.
                      My name is Thomas, I'm from ... ugh ... Utah - of all places.
                      I've been a software engineer for over 25 years, and I'm currently trying to get my startup off the ground.
                      Happy to be here I probably will have more questions than answers - but I'll try my best.

Comment

Hi, everyone! Greetings from Russia, Saint-Petersburg ))

Comment

Hi everyone ,i'm Gervasios from Athens-Greece.... I'm an electrical engineer and i love learning how to make any repairs by myself... Hope i can help...

Comment

Hi, my name is Edoardo and I am a fan of electronics and retrocomputing.
                            I live in Italy and have been working for twenty years in a large American company that produces servers and storage.
                            In my spare time I enjoy restoring old computers from the 80's or older.
                            I always try to fix all that I can and I really like to study in depth how things that I repair are designed.

Comment

Hi everyone.
                              totally new here, but definitely not a beginner in computers.
                              a lil about me.... name, jinakubwa, all the way from Dar es salaam in Tanzania, originally from Mombasa, Kenya. Started out in hardware maintenance, networking, system admnistration and did that for roughly nine years in Nairobi,Kenya later felt the challenge was waning and started upping my skills in programming, found java to be a little to much, python super good but could not work with for lack of available resources then, later got hooked on to javascript.
                              My first computer was a pentium II IBM in mid 2000 while still in college given as a present by one construction Engineer after i solved his office printer problem where the IT engineers from the firm that had delivered the printer had failed. I walked into their office(Construction guy's) that day and seeing the printer, which was new, knew it only worked with USB 2.0 which i knew because i was following on, updates of the latest technology from PC Magazine. i advised that another printer cable be bought and went on to buy it myself and you guessed it, the printer worked. thats how i got my first computer because the IT engineers had spent 3 days trying to connect the printer. :-)
                              Well, now am here because i have always loved electronics but they gave me a scare back in college when trying to diagnose some faulty CRTs in a cybercafe that had poor grounding which gave me quite a many electric shocks to an extent that i ended up dreaming being electric shocked that night. :-)
                              I quit electronics from that day, but the love still remained because i have always wanted to design my own electronics equipment for automation purposes, and with a fairly modest understanding of programming, maybe i can pull it it off before i check out of this world.
                              So am currently fixing computers on part time, getting to understand electronics in deep, growing mushrooms(well, its a serious bother trying to keep up with clean, sterile environment and all for a computer junkie) and growing flowers while at the same time designing pots for the same.

Comment

Hello, I am jyuzi.

I like to figure out how things work. I live in North Carolina, USA.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Guys

I am an Irish C++ software developer, good high level knowledge but no hardware knowledge, here to learn.
                                  I found your forums when i was looking to unlock bios. Love computing, tech etc.

Cheers
                                  James
                                  Last edited by fuzzfrog; 11-12-2020, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Hello,
                                    I am John from Greece.
                                    Thank you for accept me
                                    Greeting to all

Comment

So here I am posting an introduction on an internet forum for electronic and software geeks. Never imagined doing something like this. Started out in electronics many years ago completing a home study course in electronics with Cleveland Institute of Electronics and got a 1st Class Radiotelephone License as a result. Got a job doing field service with a multinational conglomerate and serviced electron beam recorders, laser beam recorders, microfilm retrieval systems, etc. From there moved on up to a pilot plant manager in a microelectronics pilot plant doing thick film hybrid circuits using a laser trimmer for resistors.

Retired early and then took a job with a telecommunications giant doing product safety, reliability and environmental sustainability. Retired from there as well. Somewhere along the line a I got a BS in Physics and a MS in Manufacturing Systems Engineering.

I have repaired TVs and radios when they had vacuum tubes. Moved on up to transistors and ICs but nowadays, circuits are too complex and utilize components which have SMT topologies that are very difficult to repair if I can determine what is wrong. Hence, I only repair those things which can be troubleshot easily. I was able to repair a Samsung LED TV recently which had no display and no backlight.

Which leads me to my current repair. I repaired a Yamaha Piano keyboard which had a faulty slide potentiometer and was able to find the exact same part with the same footprint and functionality. Now I need to repair my console organ which I've owned for many years. It is a Yamaha Electone Organ Model 205D. I need a schematic but can't get one from Yamaha. The organ's Auto Arpeggio is not working and the upper manual cuts off intermittently.

Any assistance or guidance would be appreciated.

Looking forward to participating in this forum...

Mark G.

Comment

Hi everyone from iran i'm new here.

i have little understanding about software and some experience in electronics , but my adsl Dlink modem is dead now, hope you can help me on this one.

Comment

Hello.

I am Sami from Norway. Just like fuzzfrog, I am also a software dev that are here to learn more about hardware. I do have in fact some prior experience in hardware because I studied electrical and electronics engineering before I switched over to software engineering.

I consider myself as a tech geek and I love to repair broken electronics in my home and play with arduino on my hobby basis, all this aside from coding

Looking forward to learn more about circuits and electronics in general.

Best Regards
                                          Sami Rashiti

Comment

Working...
                                          X