Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI RTX2070 code 43

Tested all voltages they are present.

will bad memory issues keep bios from working?

gpu-z shows no memory

card shows up even with bios chip removed in windows?

excuse my ignorance just looking for a direction. mats/mods can't see a compatible eeprom/card.

reflashed bios with fresh image of compatible card.

seems like an issue with memory or bios logic?

Re: MSI RTX2070 code 43

Do you have an oscilloscope at hand to check for activity on the VBIOS signal lines? I have a card with very similar symptoms and it seems to be caused by bad BGA solder joints in the bottom left corner of the chip, where the VBIOS pins are connected (check my other post).

Comment

I do have an oscilloscope but I'm still learning how to use the device.

When I check the V-BIOS it gets 1.8v but I can't see the CS/low event happen. Lines on pcie look fine.

My card is a MS-373 I believe.

Comment

Can you spot any damaged of missing SMD component? Especially the back side of the card around the PCIe slot is worth taking a good look.
        Last edited by SiO2; 04-19-2022, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by supertype View Post
          I do have an oscilloscope but I'm still learning how to use the device.

When I check the V-BIOS it gets 1.8v but I can't see the CS/low event happen. Lines on pcie look fine.
          I'd recommend to set your oscilloscope to trigger single shot on falling edge at like 1V, and start from a small time/div.
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Code 43 will most probably be a broken memory chip or cold solder of memory chip or the GPU. You can try to bend the powered card slightly to check if the picture comes, if yes then you have to relfow/reball memory/gpu (to do the bending test remove the original cooling and McGuyver some small one on the GPU, eg a CPU cooler - do not power the GPU for longer than 30-60 sec. w/o cooler !!!). However with bending you need luck, it will rarely work as evidence of the cold solder. In worst case it can also be a broken GPU. Regarding Bios it also may be the reason, I had once a bios chip which I could erease/program, but it did not work in the card. Try exchange the chip for a new one. Check also all 32 PCIe caps (220 nF) for shorts/missing. Check also the 32 data lines and 32 address lines with meter in diode mode, plus meter pole to ground. You schould get ca 0,4V (B-Side) or 0,25V (on PCIe A-Side check the signals on the caps from the GPU side). All 64 lines must not be open or shorted. The A-Side is the one showing to the CPU when card is inserted.
            Last edited by DynaxSC; 04-19-2022, 03:31 PM.

Comment

I have done just about everything you said DynaxSC except maybe a proper bend test.

I took the vbios back off and found out its looking bad, it looks like it corrupted from the last flash i did and its not letting me write it anymore. I ordered a few extra and will follow up with what happens.

Comment

Which programmer do you use ? If you use CH341 it has a design flaw and can destroy the 1.8V bios chips. It is good for motherboard bios chips (3,3V), but not for graphic card bios chips. It's hardware needs to be modified in terms of the voltage which is applied to the bios chip during programming/reading. There are some instructions how to do this in the net, if you don't find I can post a picture of my modified device.
                Last edited by DynaxSC; 04-20-2022, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DynaxSC View Post
                  Which programmer do you use ? If you use CH341 it has a design flaw and can destroy the 1.8V bios chips. It is good for motherboard bios chips (3,3V), but not for graphic card bios chips. It's hardware needs to be modified in terms of the voltage which is applied to the bios chip during programming/reading. There are some instructions how to do this in the net, if you don't find I can post a picture of my modified device.
                  its a CH341APro not sure if this model has the flaw I will take a look, Thanks for the info.

checked with meter and sure enough 5v out on pin 1 -_- i'll look for the guide to correct this issue, much helpful.
                  Last edited by supertype; 04-20-2022, 11:05 AM. Reason: update

Comment

The instruction to modify the CH341 I found once on the net is not very clear, so I made a new one here, its to be done in a few minutes:

However what I observed is that after this change the in-circuit reading/programming of bios chips of motherboards does not work any more, so maybe it would make sense to make this with a switch to preserve this functionality.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by DynaxSC; 04-21-2022, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DynaxSC View Post
                      The instruction to modify the CH341 I found once on the net is not very clear, so I made a new one here, its to be done in a few minutes:

However what I observed is that after this change the in-circuit reading/programming of bios chips of motherboards does not work any more, so maybe it would make sense to make this with a switch to preserve this functionality.
                      Using a CH341A with a powered USB hub can help.
                      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

I wound up just grabbing this kit. with a adapter board for 1.8v

you can never have too many programmers am I right?

this may also fix the v-droop problems with the clip

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V2M5MVH...roduct_details

Comment

Pretty sure this is a dead core, it has a faint sign of flux pool around ram and gpu. sadness

Comment

Working...
                          X