Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zotac gtx 1070 mini Not detecting 12v 8 pin

Need help with zotac 1070 mini
    Not recognizing the 8 pin power adapter.
    Iv received this card with a cracked Cristal
    And missing ram and mosfets/ bios chip.
    I had a nother card with a crack in the pcb but good Cristal and chips.
    I replaced all chips and Cristal
    All my voltiges are there.
    The card will post with an error that it's not detecting the power adapter.
    I installed new bios chip an flashed it with the 3 bios files I found.
    Still the same thing.
    Theres no blown fuses and the power from the 8 pin goes to this chip ina3221
    I have checked this ina3221 power ic
    Pin 1-12v
    2-12v
    3--0v
    4-3.3v
    5-0v
    6-3.3
    7-3.3b
    8-380mv
    9-3.2v
    10-3.3v
    11-12v
    12-12v
    13-650
    14-12v
    15-12v
    16-3.2v
    Iv spent hours trying to solve this problem.
    I'm at a dead end.
    Can any one here help me track down this problem?
    I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Last edited by floodster1; 03-20-2022, 02:33 PM.

Re: Zotac gtx 1070 mini Not detecting 12v 8 pin

This is something to do with the sense pin in the 8 pin connector, look at some similar schematics, you are using an 8 pin power connector right, it won't work with a 6 pin one?
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply!
      It's an 8 pin conector 6 won't work
      I've used 2 other power supply
      With the same result.

I'll have a look at the attachment
      Thanks!
      Last edited by floodster1; 03-20-2022, 06:44 PM.

Comment

You might temporarily short the 3 shunt resistors inputs pairs directly at the INA3221 (pin pairs 1-2, 11-12 and 14-15) to rule out there is something wrong with the current sense circuitry -> short each pair separately, not all together.

Try to use another motherboard from different vendor to see what happens.
        Try to connect via riser, and see what happens.
        Try to use another cable from PSU to 12V socket of the card. There is one line in this cable responsible for detecting the psu is connected, maybe it's not present in your cable, or the logic behind on the card is not working correctly. Try to trace this logic.
        Try to look for more missing components, maybe there is somewhere one small resistor missing or so.
        Last edited by DynaxSC; 03-21-2022, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Iv tried 3 other motherboards no luck.
          I shortedot theses pins one at a time
          1 -2 11-12 14-15 and no change.
          Im looking at the sense components but I have nothing to reference from.
          Iv chased it back to pin 4 VS on the 3221 chip.
          I'm still confused on how this works as I can not
          Read any voltage coming from the sense
          Pin.

Comment

Hi, this means that INA3221 is almost sure not the problem. INA3221 does monitor 3 voltages and 3 currents. The current is sensed on a shunt resistors, one for each pin pair. The voltage is sensed same time at one of the pin of the pin pairs. You will probably not measure any significant voltage difference between these pin pairs, as the shunt resistors have very low resistance, eg. 0.05 ohms, and the voltage difference between the pin pairs is somewhere in low mV range, if not uV. The shunt resistors usually are quite big, flat smd components, ca 4 x 8 mm, easy to find.

I would look deeper into the PSU presence logic, my guess would be there is something wrong with it. I had once such a case with a similar card, but I do not remember exactly what was ther reason, and if I manage to solve this. I will look if I have some records done for this case during the weekend, as I have to review some 50 repair protocols.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me!
              Iv changed ot the shunt resistors still with same problem.
              Iv been looking at the- power level psi control-on a gtx 1080 scamatics as I can find anything for this card.
              I'm still trying understand how it senses the 8 pin power conector.
              Iv chased through the logics on this but seems to stand out.
              I appreciate all the help!
              Last edited by floodster1; 03-22-2022, 08:46 AM.

Comment

As far as I remember it's just one line in the 12V connector which is normally high, and if PSU is connected, it is just shorted to ground via the PSU cable inside the PSU.

Comment

Here you can see an example card which is same family of GPU, see page 41, signal name is INPUT_PEX8_DT1. The asterisk means Active Low. You can search this signal in the schematics, and see where all it goes to, I suspect finally it goes after some logic also to the GPU, so if not activated GPU can think there is no 12V power connected.

Maybe in this case it would be worth to compare both cards arround the 12V logic so deep you can trace it, voltages with powered cards, resistances non powerded. Even if the other card is missing some components, you might have luck and this part of logic will still work on both cards. Its some blind travel, but w/o at least a boardview there os no other choice.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by DynaxSC; 03-22-2022, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Hi, I found the repair report with the card which had issues to discover the 12V Power.
                    It was a MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Aero ITX 8GB.
                    It had more issues, and you'll find the "please power down and connect the pcie power cables for this graphics card" inside the report. I have google translated it, so the translation might be not perfect. Maybe this will inspire you. Finally I do not know exactly what helped with this, so many changes done. It was a really hard case, and I was about to canibalize this card for parts, but finally got it to work.
                    I add also the Boardview for this card.

____
                    Visual inspection and diagnosis (23/12/2021):
                    • GPU looks OK, 0.12 Ω
                    • No GPU main and RAM voltages
                    • 1.8V and 2 x 12V are available
                    • Burned out PR522 - 2.2 Ω in series to VCC PU3 (uP1537)
                    • After removing PU3, the resistor does not burn out anymore, ie the faulty uP1537
                    • Up1537 to be ordered on Allegro

Repair (29-30/12/2021):
                    • UP1537 soldered, no change, still no voltage, something else probably
                    • Capacitor C517 at INA3221 was broken off
                    • Reconstructed paths and components around the C517, it was a lot of fiddling
                    • After that, the card reports itself when booting, but with the message "please power down and connect the pcie power cables for this graphics card" - are all voltages also present?
                    • The R638 placement has been corrected, it has displaced when replacing C1649 and C1650, it did not help
                    • The BIOS upgrade was done to the newest one, did not help
                    • When resoldering the BIOS, two resistors moved, to check if they are now OK - R752, R753, R741 - in this area
                    • To check at the U520, if something is missing, R808 (100k), in the pictures as it was, I put it in for a while, but nothing changed?
                    • Two more 665k resistors at INA 3221 are suspicious, they show much higher values when measured, maybe they got uncalibrated during soldering?
                    • All address and data lines checked, all OK
                    • R546 replaced with a bridge, that's in the diagram, and here was 120k, I wonder where it came from? -> the 120k soldered to the cross next to it.

Repair (12/31/2021):
                    • The card after the night as if nothing has started to work on another board and power supply
                    • After assembling and screwing, nothing else, it stopped working
                    • Perhaps a cold solder under GPU or GDDR5 ???
                    • I also put a jumper on R552, but it probably doesn't matter, R546 was also replaced with a 0 Ω resistor, maybe it caused something ???
                    • The card was also washed with acetone and isopropanol, maybe that's the reason ???
                    • The card is magic ��
                    • I put it off for later, because I'm fed up with this card
                    • Possibly transplant GPU to another card as a radical solution.

Repair (02/20/2021):
                    • Two resistors R555 and R1052 were replaced, it was 0R and they should be 10k
                    • The bridge on R552 was removed, it was absent on comparative card #62
                    • The card is starting to work sometimes, and when it gets hotter it stops producing an image
                    • It seems that something does not contact and the temerature rise disconnects something - GPU reflow?
                    • Exchanged BIOS chip from MX to new Winbond - card passed Mods test!
                    • Furmark test goes very well
                    • --- >>> SUCCESS !!! 
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by DynaxSC; 03-22-2022, 04:05 PM.

Comment

I really appreciate you taking the time to dig out your report and scamatics!!
                      I'll be diving back 8n tomorrow.
                      I was thinking when i received this card it was with out the ram chips and the gpu Cristal was cracked in half.
                      I was looking on line at pictures of the pcb I used, the zotac 1070 mini and it looks like it came with Micron D9TXS ram chips.
                      I pulled the 1070 die and ram chips from a pny 1070 the used micron D9TCB.
                      the 2 chips are both the same make micron/DDR5 and the pin layout for both chips are the same as well.
                      Iv tried the pny bios as a desperate attempt today and it post with same message.
                      This one has got me going in circles ��
                      Once again thanks for taking the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bozog View Post
                        This is something to do with the sense pin in the 8 pin connector, look at some similar schematics, you are using an 8 pin power connector right, it won't work with a 6 pin one?

can you share this schematic? iv been looking everywhere for either a boardview or schematic for zotac 1070 mini... i cant find anything for it.. or is their other boards that are very similar?

Comment

Sorry but I have neither boardview or scamatics

Comment

After hours chasing the 12 volt logics and finding nothing out of the ordinary I did a gpu reflow and its now reading the 12v power cable and passed all the stress tests.
                            Thanks to everyone that has helped me with this problem!

Comment

Originally posted by floodster1 View Post
                              After hours chasing the 12 volt logics and finding nothing out of the ordinary I did a gpu reflow and its now reading the 12v power cable and passed all the stress tests.
                              Thanks to everyone that has helped me with this problem!

Thanks for sharing the results. Very very useful!!

Comment

So as usual, complicated problems have only simple solutions

Comment

Working...
                                X